Detroit International Freedom Fireworks

rbdetsport

Detroit/Windsor International Freedom Festival/ Fireworks 2006

So how was it for whoever went? I couldn't attend, but I would love to see pictures. I know a lot of people had awesome pictures last year from the fireworks.

The Dodge Fountain was turned on tonight. They kept showing close-ups of it on WDIV. WDIV also interviewed Kwame. They mostly talked about the Book Cadillac and how great the project is. Kwame told all of the statistics. He explained how great it has been with the Tigers winning having 30,000 people downtown almost everyday. "Every bar and restaurant was packed Monday night after the game." He said, "BLESS you boys." He stressed the word bless because revenue within the city is up. The Fireworks show looked good on TV. I can imagine how awesome it was there. If anyone has pictures, post them!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I camped out at the tip of Belle Isle from 7am yesterday morning throughout the entire day. I held a board meeting under a canopy at the very tip, and it was a breathtaking view in the early morning. Too bad the hurricane rolled through and took out many of the tents, and the wind prevented us from seeing about 1/3 of the fireworks. But all in all it was a great time. This event is always one of my favorites.

Nice shots, Ramcharger. I was over on the east riverfront. The smoke blew right into all my photos, obscuring the fireworks, so I didn't get any good shots. Oh well, maybe next year....

I know what you mean Allan. I had taken 50 pictures the night before to fine tune the camera, and then it didnt matter because they were only 1/2 visible with all the smoke. :( West riverfront or Windsor was definately the place to be.

Next year I'm going to invite myself to a viewing party in some downtown building. I really don't want to mess with crossing the border. It took 1.5 hours to get home as it is...and I only viewed the fireworks 4 miles from where I live!

Yeah, I avoid customs at all costs. I've only been to Canada twice in the last year or so...and one of those times I didn't have to go through customs (tug boat race)! I should probably get a passport, since it'll be required to go into Canada starting next year anyway. Not that I go to Canada much, but just in case....

I viewed from Canada. I've only been to 3 fireworks now and every year has been in Canada. This time was a cinch since we parked right on Goyeau Street a few blocks north of the tunnel for free.

Afterwards, we walked up to the car, drove no more than 10 minutes to the tunnel, and crossed over without a hitch in about 15 minutes total. I-75 was the only turd to be messed with.

I have some decent photos I'll try to post here soon.

Lucky people. I've been getting ready to leave for vacation so I didn't really get a chance to go. At least it wasn't an ash rain for you Allan. That's what happened last time on the East riverfront. I still love watching the fireworks by the Rencen though. The foodcourt is a godsend when it gets hot out or when you are hungry. Nice pics Ramcharger!

I couldnt tell from a distance last night while in midtown, but it appeared that the blue lighting was off, and the lights were now orange white and blue--were my eyes playing games with me, or are they sporting the colors of the Detroit Tigers?

Archived