High Point

Noneck_08

Me and my little cousin went downtown earlier today. I had planned on doing a lil railfanning and got to walk around downtown also. High Point has so much potential from the look of this walk. IMO it's has one of the most dense downtown's in the Traid, with a nice mix of old and new. Anywaz, enough talking...enjoy! :)

Coming into town on S. Main

3144edited2ld.jpg

Around Kivitt and the tracks

3145edited8dd.jpg

3146edited7ht.jpg

3148edited1xq.jpg

What I came for.....

3149edited4yo.jpg

Some of the Market Buildings

3152edited9qf.jpg

3150edited0oh.jpg

3151edited3py.jpg

3155edited7hf.jpg

3154edited7yp.jpg

The Transportation Center. This serves during the Market and is under more construction.

3153edited8yr.jpg

Now we head back towards Main and the Amtrak Station

3157edited2ro.jpg

31580je.jpg

3166edited6pv.jpg

High Point's tallest peaks threw the trees...

3159edited0ub.jpg

Now for some nice density shots

3161edited5rh.jpg

31634am.jpg

31624du.jpg

Well thats it for this round. There was alot more I wanted to get to, but time was an issue. I hope you guys enjoyed it...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics of HP!

Main Street is a favorite past time of mine with many memories which was basically visiting the Atrium, going to Ma' and pop furniture shops, blasting my sound system before the oridinance started, Cook-Out (wasent the first one started in HP?) and ONE TIME at Cook Out, i was talking to people who were friends of American Idol Winner Fantasia Barino and finally, eating out at several Wendys. If you think HP has a lot of Wendys, go to Greensboro :rofl:

Your very nice pictures accurately document all of High Point's mostly insurmountable problems:

1. No pedestrian streetlife whatsoever. There's not a single pedestrian in any picture

2. Illusions of density- tall buildings with lots of mass that display furniture once or twice a year to large groups but otherwise remain mostly unactivated space for the remainder of the year.

3. Urban crudscape leading into town (first picture)

Unfortunately for High Point, downtown Winston and Greensboro are already sucking up all the momentum and oxygen for downtown redevelopment in the Triad. I also believe that more people have hopes pinned on the Heart of the Triad project as a new urban-esque center than reviving moribund downtown High Point.

High Point really has a tough row to hoe. Their best strategy might be to tear down some of their furniture showcases and rebuild some mixed-use structures with residential and commercial in their place.

3166edited6pv.jpg

3149edited4yo.jpg

I like the way the retaining walls for the railroad cut look near the station. It looks alright where there are no walls during the summer when everything's green, but it looks absolutely awful during the winter when all the leaves on the vines and shrubbery are gone. I'd like to see walls put in for the entire length of the cut to fix how seedy it looks (especially from a train) for four or five months of the year.

Your very nice pictures accurately document all of High Point's mostly insurmountable problems:

1. No pedestrian streetlife whatsoever. There's not a single pedestrian in any picture

2. Illusions of density- tall buildings with lots of mass that display furniture once or twice a year to large groups but otherwise remain mostly unactivated space for the remainder of the year.

3. Urban crudscape leading into town (first picture)

Unfortunately for High Point, downtown Winston and Greensboro are already sucking up all the momentum and oxygen for downtown redevelopment in the Triad. I also believe that more people have hopes pinned on the Heart of the Triad project as a new urban-esque center than reviving moribund downtown High Point.

High Point really has a tough row to hoe. Their best strategy might be to tear down some of their furniture showcases and rebuild some mixed-use structures with residential and commercial in their place.

I still think High Point has alot of potential. The city just needs to play its cards right. But even though downtown High Point doesnt have anything over 15 stories, the building density and street level scale does have a very urban feel in some sections of downtown. I've been meaning to get to High Point and take some pictures. Its a city we rarely see on the forums pictorally and its a breath of fresh air to see this city because we see Greensboro and Winston-Salem photos all the time.

Archived