Parking changes in DT Greensboro

krazeeboi

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I agree with the first two more than the second two. What I think really needs to be done in DT Greensboro, is one-way streets, especially the really wide ones, need to be converted back to two way usage and have parking implemented on them. This will aid with the redevelopment of DT in so many ways.

The fines and violations I can definitely agree with, but the second two are the ones that cause concern. I do understand the sentiment of wanting long-term patrons to use parking decks instead of on-street parking though. But I think adding meters, especially almost 200 of them, is going to be a street-killer.

I agree, I think the additional parking meters is bad for downtown. whats worse is that they are adding them on Elm Street where the restaurants and shops are. it will discourage people to shop downtown and they will shop at suburban centers where parking is free and you can stay as long as you want. I wouldnt want to go downtown to shop or eat and worry about how much time I have on my meter. What is the city thinking?

That's true about the rates being so cheap. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to pay 25 cents per hour to park in downtown Greensboro, as I was familiar with paying 25 cents for 15 MINUTES at UNC-CH.

Nightlife probably won't be affected since last time I checked, you only need to pay between 8a and 5 or 6pm... no weekends.

Rates have not been changed since the late 1960s according to the Greensboro N&R. Lets hope the city uses that additional revenue wisely. Still, this is pretty cheap in comparison to other cities.

Officials describe the proposed changes as the most significant since the late 1960s, when the city added parking meters downtown and built its first parking deck.

Archived