This board needs more activity!

pdxheel

This is the slowest board on Urban Planet. With Oregon being such a great state you would think more people would post. I don't live in Portland anymore (wish I did) so I would love to hear about projects and urban issues related to the city. I'm sure there are also projects/happenings in Eugene, Salem, Bend and Ashland.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Colorado has less topic and less replies. :P

But seriously, I rarely ever hear anything negative about Oregon and its cities, and I certainly would expect to see more people on here representing Portland. That's a pretty big city and there's a lot going on there.

This is an area we need to boost your right PDX. I haven't been able to focus on other states in the west with my job being so busy lately. But I definately think that Oregon is underated. There has to be people in Portland who have opinions they would love to share. I think we can drum up some traffic if we start posting developement related info. If you could find some, i'd love to help. I just have my hands full at the moment.

It takes time to build a web community. We are slowly spreading west so hopefully we will see some activity here soon.

I've noticed you seem to get at least 10 new members per day and that's awesome. No doubt some of these people either are, or will be, from out west.

I believe eventually every region of the USA will be well-represented here, but like you said, it will take time.

Well you guys, I think part of the problem is the lack of engaging conversation. I am directly responsible for the lack of that. Being the moderator for the west I fully intend on growing all of the forums, but I've had my handsful with AZ. I think a big problem is that people come to UP and see a section, but then get turned off when there's no action and nothing to talk about. Two months ago, AZ had 65 posts, and was the least posted in forum on the site, now because we talk and are starting to build a community, I think in a few weeks it'll be the most posted in forum in the west. The same thing can happen in OR too, we just all have to work together for it. Right now though, I have little time to look up PDX developements and updates, so if anyone wants to start, I'll surely join in the conversation.

Portland isn't the only place booming in Oregon. Bend and the Rogue River Valley (Medford-Ashland-Grants Pass) are no longer undiscovered.

Area, 2005 population, growth rate 2000-2005:

Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton (WA-OR) - 2,082,240 (8.01%)

Salem - 367,805 (5.93%)

Eugene-Springfield - 336,085 (4.06%)

Medford-Ashland-Grants Pass - 274,160 (6.68%)

Corvallis-Albany - 189,985 (4.84%)

Bend-Redmond-Prineville - 166,265 (23.57%)

in addition i think perhaps skyscrapercity & skyscraperpage may have had the heads up on the portland forum here on UP, but i agree that with time it should grow -- at least i hope so anyway!

When we started UP, you could have said that about every section that we represent. The difference here is we are not focused on skyscrapers, and we don't allow all of the bad things that take place on those forums.

Our tight regional focus can be our greatest asset, and can be an issue. You'll notice that relatively small cities such as Providence, Grand Rapids, and Greenville have great representation here. It's wonderful that we can micro target specific regions like that. But it does hurt when people come here and see their area under represented.

The more members post, the more other people find UP or the lurkers join in. So I suggest that the few Oregonians we have here now try to post as much info as possible, eventually others will come.

PS: I loved Portland when I visited for a few days way back in the late 90s. I hope to be able to go back and spend more time soon!

And that was the entire purpose for the formation of this board, am I correct?

Not at all. We decided when we started UrbanPlanet that we did not want to be just another skyscraper site. I remember it being said most people like skyscrapers, but there really isn't much than be said about them unless you are an engineer.

Hence we wanted a place to focus on the built environment, and the issues that come with that. That is why we are here. We don't allow the bad behavior simply because we are mature people here.

But it does hurt when people come here and see their area under represented.

I completely agree with this, but all it takes is for that one person who is determined to get things rolling. I have no doubt that eventually all areas of this website will have that.

And monsoon... thanks for the clarification. :)

I love Portland ever since I visited there in '99. Great city!

I think traffic just needs to hit critical mass. I jioned UP in early '05 and there wasn't much going on with the NC board then except Charlotte. In the last year, it's been amazing to see the growth and interest on the boards such that now we have Triangle (+coffee house), Triad, and Asheville forum now. UP has become one of my favorite web destinations each day. :) I'm sure it will just take time.

• 1 month later...

This is the slowest board on Urban Planet. With Oregon being such a great state you would think more people would post. I don't live in Portland anymore (wish I did) so I would love to hear about projects and urban issues related to the city. I'm sure there are also projects/happenings in Eugene, Salem, Bend and Ashland.

OK - I'll bite! My hubby and I are considering moving to Oregon now that the kids are on their own. (Note-we are not yuppies bound for a condo in Portland). We both live in Minneapolis, have lived in big cities most of our lives, but are looking forward to getting away from the urban blight. Are there any suggestions for us? We both like greenery, small town within a couple hours of a big city, proximity to college/university for the intellect factor, a little bit of land (5-15 acres). We are pretty self-sufficient as far as buying a small fixer-upper. He has suggested the east-facing side of the coastal range. Ideas?

OK - I'll bite! My hubby and I are considering moving to Oregon now that the kids are on their own. (Note-we are not yuppies bound for a condo in Portland). We both live in Minneapolis, have lived in big cities most of our lives, but are looking forward to getting away from the urban blight. Are there any suggestions for us? We both like greenery, small town within a couple hours of a big city, proximity to college/university for the intellect factor, a little bit of land (5-15 acres). We are pretty self-sufficient as far as buying a small fixer-upper. He has suggested the east-facing side of the coastal range. Ideas?

Look at Bend or Ashland.

I'd recommend looking at Corvallis, OR, which is a great college town about 80 miles south of Portland. It has a vibrant downtown and a great park system, with both the mountains and coast within a short drive.

This website has more information about Corvallis:

http://www.visitcorvallis.com/explore/about_corvallis.html

• 4 weeks later...

Archived