Need tourist ideas (west Mich)

Veloise

For the long weekend coming up, I am going on a bicycle tour. (I realize that this comes as a shock to many, who had utterly no idea of my non-motorized interests!)

The current "plan" is amorphous: load up the City of GR $35 auction special (it's purple, not the one starring in many of my pics on here) with camping gear and some changes of clothes. Ride west Friday evening.

I have a couple of books with suggested "short" bike rides, and the excellent Hunts' Guide for west Mich, and some county maps. And I have 4-1/2 days to wander around.

Do I have any campground reservations? I do not. Do I have any idea of where/what/when I'll be going/seeing/doing? Ditto.

Hence this post: where would you send me?

N.B. I would prefer suggestions like "Holland has a great DT streetscape and light traffic" or "Lakeshore Drive at Lake Michigan Drive has a wide paved edge and great views of the water" rather than "some headliner is performing at DVP." Not into fancy restaurants or bars; local "attractions" like the Fish Ladder are more my thing.

Ideas welcome. TIA!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the long weekend coming up, I am going on a bicycle tour. (I realize that this comes as a shock to many, who had utterly no idea of my non-motorized interests!)

The current "plan" is amorphous: load up the City of GR $35 auction special (it's purple, not the one starring in many of my pics on here) with camping gear and some changes of clothes. Ride west Friday evening.

I have a couple of books with suggested "short" bike rides, and the excellent Hunts' Guide for west Mich, and some county maps. And I have 4-1/2 days to wander around.

Do I have any campground reservations? I do not. Do I have any idea of where/what/when I'll be going/seeing/doing? Ditto.

Hence this post: where would you send me?

N.B. I would prefer suggestions like "Holland has a great DT streetscape and light traffic" or "Lakeshore Drive at Lake Michigan Drive has a wide paved edge and great views of the water" rather than "some headliner is performing at DVP." Not into fancy restaurants or bars; local "attractions" like the Fish Ladder are more my thing.

Ideas welcome. TIA!

There is the bike/hiking/snowmobile trail that runs from somewhere near Coopersville and Ravenna West.

Lakeshore drive from Holland to Grand Haven has a trail alongside the road the entire distance. Ottawa County has a great network of bike trails in the Western part of it.

Ride to Muskegon, stay on the South side of Muskegon Lake and catch the Ferry over to Milwaukee for part of the day and come back in the evening.

Leonard street from Grand Rapids to Spring lake is a beautiful route with a lot of bike riders, thogh not very wide shoulders.

Those are my ideas for now.

Steal me and take me with you. That's my suggestion.

I've always wanted to spend a few days to just wander... choosing my path as I go along, never have though.

Really though, I'm a bit out of shape... I don't even think I could do Wayland<->Kentwood on bike anymore.

Unfortunately I hafve no suggestions.. I'm not too familiar with the areas west of here, I just had to commet. =p

Hubby did a bike loop a few years ago starting on the WP trail to Howard City, to Ludington, to Muskegon and then took that one trail from Muskegon to GR. He did that one long weekend and camped at a campground in Scottville/Ludington. You may be screwed though on the campground thing this weekend!

Hubby did a bike loop a few years ago starting on the WP trail to Howard City, to Ludington, to Muskegon and then took that one trail from Muskegon to GR. He did that one long weekend and camped at a campground in Scottville/Ludington. You may be screwed though on the campground thing this weekend!

That's occurred to me, but I'm on a bike! When I did a similar trip, oh, 26 years ago, I'd get waylaid in conversations with local folks. Ask 'em where a place to camp nearby might be. Often they'd offer their backyard. IIRC the variety of accommodations included guest rooms two nights, and the finished basement once.

This happened in state parks as well--the behemouth bring-everything types would be so intrigued by someone travelling without all the essentials that they'd suggest I'd throw down and share their campsite.

That's occurred to me, but I'm on a bike! When I did a similar trip, oh, 26 years ago, I'd get waylaid in conversations with local folks. Ask 'em where a place to camp nearby might be. Often they'd offer their backyard. IIRC the variety of accommodations included guest rooms two nights, and the finished basement once.

This happened in state parks as well--the behemouth bring-everything types would be so intrigued by someone travelling without all the essentials that they'd suggest I'd throw down and share their campsite.

I was just thinking about this - he went on a Memorial weekend so the campgrounds were all packed. When he got to the campground and they saw that he was on his bicycle they were sympathetic and gave him a non-spot in a corner. Maybe you'll get lucky!

There is the bike/hiking/snowmobile trail that runs from somewhere near Coopersville and Ravenna West.

Lakeshore drive from Holland to Grand Haven has a trail alongside the road the entire distance. Ottawa County has a great network of bike trails in the Western part of it.

Ride to Muskegon, stay on the South side of Muskegon Lake and catch the Ferry over to Milwaukee for part of the day and come back in the evening.

Those are my ideas for now.

Just start off 8th Avenue in Marne, and head west! its a really nice trip, and it is marked by lots and lots of rural land, a mix of woods, and flat farms. AFAIK it takes you to all the way to Muskegon, so its about a 33 mile trip.

Archived