University Parkway & Reynolda Road

ncbrian

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Caribou Coffee in the Triad yet? I love them. They are taking over DC. I loved to go there when I was in college in Chapel Hill.

How about Dilworth Coffee out of Charlotte? Prospective tenant for the Nissen building downtown.

Is Caribou Coffee in the Triad yet? I love them. They are taking over DC. I loved to go there when I was in college in Chapel Hill.

There should be a Caribou here. If one comes, I'll be back in LA by then. I also loved going to Caribou in CH (class of '05...year of the champions!!) even though I'm not a huge coffee fan. Which one did you go to? The one on Franklin or the one near Cafe Driade?

How about Dilworth Coffee out of Charlotte? Prospective tenant for the Nissen building downtown.

Continuing this sub-thread about downtown coffe shops, Scott Sexton has a column out talking just about that in the Journal. The lede:

Christina Sin and Gena Knighten have been down this path before. Though they're nominally competitors because they both own coffee shops downtown, they have something in common.

They're small business owners trying to compete with larger chain stores.

When Starbucks Coffee Company opened a spanking new branch last year in the lobby of the Embassy Suites Hotel - less than a block from the Sin coffee shop and three from Knighten's Chelsee's - both women swallowed hard.

Making a living at $3 a shot isn't easy, even without a behemoth around the corner.

• 4 weeks later...

I think they need to extend University Parkway north past Rural Hall, to handle the growth in that area. Also, as that area grows, there is a need for more marketable land along the parkway for development. I would like to see more mid-range retail like Best Buy, Kohl's, and Marshalls locate in that area.

I have a feeling you'll see those retailers very soon in this area.

1980? :huh: Winston had Hanes then.. I think you mean the late 1990s when the proposal for a mall in North Winston was considered, but I may be wrong.

If you read the article, the actual year of the planned mall was 1987.

Northern W-S is indeed becoming another retail center for W-S as it draws from well into S.VA. The only thing I hate about the area is it's proximity to the Hanes Mill Dump. On certain hot days if the wind is just right you can smell the wonderful aroma of trash. :sick:

I am against building an oldschool mall like Hanes Mall in this area, although I would favor a mix used development or something like the Streets of Southpoint. Has there been any more progress on Northern Quarters yet? That development has a lot of promise, but I have seen little progress made in the last year on it, particularly the retail portion.

I am against building an oldschool mall like Hanes Mall in this area, although I would favor a mix used development or something like the Streets of Southpoint. Has there been any more progress on Northern Quarters yet? That development has a lot of promise, but I have seen little progress made in the last year on it, particularly the retail portion.

Southpoint Mall is not mixed use. It is a mall with nicer facades than most and architectural eye candy to hide the fact that it has no offices or residential component to speak of.

Maybe DC was referring to the whole development. The actual mall is not mixed use, but the fact that the development doesn't consist of simply retail, residential, or office I would think would mean that it's mixed use. Definitely not optimal, since it's a sprawl magnet at Durham city's southern border... but by definition.. it's mixed use?

Southpoint Mall is not mixed use. It is a mall with nicer facades than most and architectural eye candy to hide the fact that it has no offices or residential component to speak of.

Believe it or not, ordinary enclosed shopping malls are becoming more and more obsolete. Outdoor village stlye malls are becoming more popular.

• 4 months later...

Sports Zone Pub & Grill, a sports restaurant and bar, is going into the former Bennigan's restaurant building on North Point Boulevard. Sports On Inc., a holding company in Winston-Salem that owns the restaurant and bar, is renovating the building and expects to open the business in mid-January. Peter Carpenter, the principal owner, said that Sports Zone will have live entertainment and music twice a month, a stand-up comedian once a month and "probably" karaoke.

• 1 month later...

Quote from the WS Journal article:

"All four of the Starbucks will have drive-throughs. There are already eight Starbucks in Forsyth County."

12 Starbucks? :shok: Do we really need that many? Before long everyone in Forsyth Co. will be running around jacked up on caffine! :w00t:

"All four of the Starbucks will have drive-throughs. There are already eight Starbucks in Forsyth County."

12 Starbucks? :shok: Do we really need that many? Before long everyone in Forsyth Co. will be running around jacked up on caffine! :w00t:

The scary thing is, Starbucks probably has more planned we don't know about yet!! When I have been some major market there were literally Starbucks across the street from each other!

Think of it this way, if everyone in W-S/Forsyth is jumped up on caffeine from Starbucks, our nightlife scene should really take off!! :silly:

Where did you read this article? I couldn't find it.

Archived