Downtown Byron Center

civitas

Today I had lunch in beautiful downtown Byron Center at Jake's Grill and Bar.

No cranes, but they have one pretty big chicken.

177875789_d7f5be1910.jpg

In the bay window on the 2nd floor is the leg lamp from "The Christmas story" movie.

Now that's an attraction worth driving to 84th Street to see.

The chicken salad sandwich was pretty good too.

177875862_86ec1a89e0_o.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I had lunch in beautiful downtown Byron Center at Jake's Grill and Bar.

No cranes, but they have one pretty big chicken.

177875789_d7f5be1910.jpg

In the bay window on the 2nd floor is the leg lamp from "The Christmas story" movie.

Now that's an attraction worth driving to 84th Street to see.

177875862_86ec1a89e0_o.jpg

Even at $3.07/gal? Didn't you mean to put this in my bike tour thread??

That's it. I was planning to launch down the KT to Byron Center. First, ah, leg of my trip is getting established!

Byron Center's actually not bad, as long as you're not ***. :whistling: Although maybe they've had a change of heart in the past 10 years.

I like the leg lamp though. It's French: FRAGILE'. Maybe it should be Byron Center: "Le Moulin Rouge of Kent County"

B.C. just formed a DDA and is I think they want to form a little town center situation there (84th and BC Ave), which I think is a good thing. I hope that since there is a decent, if however small, grid pattern already there that this idea holds some potential. I would rather see that than watch what is there now get devoured by wal-marts and applebees.

I grew up on a farm in Byron Center - born in 1964. There were over 200 working farms in Byron Center then - none now. It brings tears to my eyes to see all the ghastly subdivisions and McMansions in the fields where we used to ride our horses and hunt with my Dad.

I hope they can make a little town square to hopefully preserve what's left of the character there and not be completely taken over with strip malls, Walmarts, etc.

The chicken salad at the Hotel is, indeed, very good. However, the best kept secret, which I'm loathe to reveal, is the steak at the North Dorr tavern on Wilson and 108th Ave. Best steak on the planet only served on Friday and Saturday nights - well worth the drive. My Dad used to play poker with the old timers at the tavern every day from when he retired until he passed away. I thought I'd pass it along to my fellow UP people - enjoy!

Archived