• Ohio
    • Michigan
    • Missouri
    • Minnesota
    • Iowa
    • Nebraska
    • Other Midwest state, (say where!)
    • I am not from the midwest, but i like to follow the forums

I'm curious, to know where the people who post in the midwest are from. I'd ultimately like to know more if certain states have room to build community. I know that all places have the potential to build community. But I'd like to see other midwest states have success. For Instance, with everything going on in Des Moines, there has got to be people from Iowa, who'd like to share Ideas and opinions. Considering, that midsize tend to have more traffic than the larger ones on here.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A vote from Iowa here.

I think the reason why you don't see more of an Iowa contingent is because we have our own website well underway, where the discussion is almost all development in Iowa cities. This site appears to be the major outlet on the entire web for discussions of GR development, which is in no doubt why that section of the forum has taken off so well.

Out of the 3 major development websites I occasionally frequent (Urban Planet, Skyscrapercity.com, Skyscraperpage.com), this one receives the least amount of traffic. Between the various sites for development in respective cities and the three big sites mentioned above, there's plenty of competition out there.

With that said, I like this site. It's what the great Skyscraperpage.com used to be before it got too big and too clicky. It's just difficult to make three seperate posts for all three forums, especially when there's a lot of overlap between forumers visiting the same sites.

Much of what I have seen on SSP is fairly worthless which is why we formed this site in the first place. This also isn't a skyscraper site so we cater to a different set of people. We are probably closer to Cyburbia than either SSC/SSP by design. One advantage to having a forum that represents all regions is that we all learn from each other. We get a lot of cross talk in the various regions that we do serve and we are slowing growing to have good representation

Ryan, there are probabally more than 10 sites dedicated to Grand Rapids alone. I encourage you to check out the Grand Rapids subforum, and notice the sense of community they have, they really are friends in there which I think is a big reason it's so successful. I don't have any reason to think that An Iowa, in addition to a Des Moines section could not be just as successful, with a little attention and time paid to it. People find this site when they are searching for things. And everyone has an opinion! Start some discussions, and eventually people will want to add their two cents.

^ Could'nt agree more. Springfield, MO is not a Huge metro it's only 400,000 but we get alot of developments that normally only a big city would have. Just start a topic in a close forum and get some attention in you topic then try a subforum if you think the support is there. I know most of us in the MIDWEST Forum would support it.

It's me! :) Ryan and I created absolutedsm.com in the summer of 2004. It's pretty much a website similiar to this in focus, but is limited to Des Moines and Iowa. Check it out if you have some time! www.absolutedsm.com

logo.gif

Whenever I do updates on other related sites, this is one of them that I make sure I do updates on. It's nice to get outside feedback! I like urbanplanet because there isn't any "drama" like on ssp. Keep up the good work! :D

It sounds like you guys have your hands full. I gotta say, though, Des Moines is one of the cities I've always followed and been interested in, I'd love to see some activity for it pick up over this way.

I also notice that we have someone put in a vote for Ohio, and where are my Minne people? I thought we had more MN forumers than that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in Oscoda, MI. Spent my early childhood drifting from state to state. But I came back to Michigan and grew up in Grand Rapids. Been here ever since. So I cast my vote for Michigan. Speaking of which, the Wolverine State seems to be winning this poll by a landslide which tells me that we Michiganers are the most vocal midwestern members of Urban Planet or the most numerous.

Michigan here, with my vote its up to 58% i guess that roughly correlates to the percentage of posts in each of the states representated as well.

not at all, Michigan comprises about 90% of all midwest forum posts.

• 1 month later...

not at all, Michigan comprises about 90% of all midwest forum posts.

Wow

I wonder why Michganders are more popular on UP than other states...is it just that we have more development going on right now, specifically in GR? Hmmmm, makes me ponder and wonder.

I also wonder of those Michigan votes, if they're more East or West siders?

Wow

I wonder why Michganders are more popular on UP than other states...is it just that we have more development going on right now, specifically in GR? Hmmmm, makes me ponder and wonder.

I also wonder of those Michigan votes, if they're more East or West siders?

With all of the activity in the Grand Rapids forum, I'm sure it would be west.

i believe it's just that whilst most cities have their users spread out amongst many other similar websites, a large majority of the Grand Rapids people have all come here... which is a great thing, really. If it weren't for that, I doubt we'd be the focus of some of the media's sources, and have the number of planners and developers utilising this resource as they do now.

tslater, I think you're right on with that assumption. Some of the other sites as SSP or SSC don't have much going on for GR and if so is quite minimal.

personally, the Detroit posts at both of those two places seem down as well as it appears to me anyway that many post here and at detroityes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived