Crossroads Mall

mallguy

I visited this poor mall: a blue metal box with a Hamrick's, a Carolina Pottery, a Bass outlet, a Van Heusen outlet, a Subway and a few other stores, and lots of vacancies. Some questions:

1. I thought Carolina Pottery had gone bankrupt and closed; how is it still there?

2. What's with the Hotel Charlotte souvenir store?

3. Is this mall headed towards a featured appearance on deadmalls.com?

4. Does it have a future, with a high vacancy rate, or will it bite the dust?

5. Is a Best Buy coming to the mall? There is a BB interview office there.

Even Eastland at least has a Dillard's outlet that will draw me to shop there; this poor mall has absolutely nothing. Poor thing. After the Gaston Mall along I-85, I think this mall is Metrolina's saddest.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminded me of some old prints I had of the proposed Carolina Center that was to be in the place where Carolina Pottery is now. I wonder if this wouldn't have been the better idea...This was proposed back in the late 70's.

carolina_center.jpg

carolina_center2.jpg

But to answer your question more, I do think this mall is struggling big time. I go by there frequently and it never appears crowded. It seems there is a high turnover of vacancy's there too.

I read that Cedar Fair's recent acquistion of the Paramount Parks included some 1000 acres of surrounding

land. Only 3 of the 5 current Paramount Park aren't land-locked so I am sure that number includes a substantial amount of Carowinds surrounding property.

Although I am not 100% sure of the boundries, I have been told there is quite a bit of land around the park they own. Not sure if that includes the grounds that Carolina Pottery is on but I wouldn't be surprised if wasn't, as I believe when Pat Hall started the park it was part of the parks property. If so, Cedar Fair may see the potential and turn this mall around (or bull doze it)....

• 8 months later...

I was waiting for something like this to happen to the Crossroads Mall. It has been in that somewhat defunct state for the better part of a decade now, with no signs of closing down anytime soon. I figured the only reason it stayed open was because of Hamricks and Carolina Pottery. I'm excited about this new development, I think it will add a little diversity as well as some unique flavor to the Fort Mill area.

lol i can't really imagine Hamricks surrounded by Latin/hispanic stores...Hamricks seems so old school southern discount dept store to me. It may stick around though if it continues to make a profit...Am I correct in thinking of Hamricks as being like a less popular Goody's?

lol i can't really imagine Hamricks surrounded by Latin/hispanic stores...Hamricks seems so old school southern discount dept store to me. It may stick around though if it continues to make a profit...Am I correct in thinking of Hamricks as being like a less popular Goody's?

• 1 year later...

So there is an article about Plaza Fiesta in next weeks CBJ that states that they plan on expanding the center (It sounds like it would be seperate from Plaza Fiesta, but I'm not sure) and are pursuing national department store chains up to 80,000 square feet. Which department stores do you think would go there? It would be nice to get some outlet department stores, like Nordstrom Rack or Neiman Marcus Last Call, but would that location make sense? They would be on the state line which means they could draw anywhere from Greensboro to Columbia and being next to Carowinds also helps (draws people from all over the region). Any thoughts?

Archived