Miami or Atlanta?

Newnan

And you need to re-read my post. I never denied that you admitted that slavery had something to do with the Civil War, I said you deny that slavery had "much to do" with the Civil War. There is a difference and I acknowledged it. And I have researched the Civil War; history was my major in college and I've read more than a few books about the Civil War and the antebellum South, and I'm a lifelong Southerner who can trace his roots in Augusta, Georgia back to before the Revolutionary War. I've read the letters from the young Confederate soldiers fighting. I've read the speeches given by Southern politicians. I've read the speeches given by John C. Calhoun a good 15 years before the Civil War when he wanted to secede from the Union because he felt that abolitionist in the North were gaining ground (I guess he was a visionary???). What have you read? And where in the Northeast, outside of New York, were their slaves in sizable numbers like there were in the South? Where is this documented?

Once again, everyone keeps showing you evidence that what was clearly in the minds of those in power in the South was the issue of slavery. It came out in the writings and the speeches; hell, it was even declared as THE reason for leaving in the Cornerstone Speech, yet people like you continue to push it off into a corner and tell the rest of us that we just don't know the truth and that we need "research it" like we're a bunch of naive children. Give me a break man.

Im not pushing anything into a corner. Im telling you to look at the big picture and I honestly dont appreciate you labeling or trying to paint me as being a certain way.

And I wont address your statement of "people like you" b/c we all know what kind of people say that...

This is my last post here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to label you. And by writing "people like you" I just meant people who believed that the Civil War had more to do with other issues than with slavery. I do not think you're a racist or any of that and I'm not trying to imply anything negative about you. I was very careful to say that the people who flew the flag were not racist. As far as I'm concerned we just have a difference of opinion on a historical event. It's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last.

I wish you would address what I wrote though. :)

Yeah, I hear you on that one and I'd probably agree, but I've known some people who just liked the rebellious aspect of the flag and they weren't racist. They had just watched the Dukes of Hazzard to many times or something. And I also know one guy in particular who loves Southern history, displays the Confederate flag proudly, and there is not a racist bone in that man's body. But for the most part, you're unfortunately correct.....

Interestingly, I was behind a truck today that had the official flag of the CSA displayed on the back window. I think that would be the "dignified" way to display your affection for a now-defunct entity instead of displaying an emblem that is associated with a losing war, which makes those who do so look like sore losers who can't break with a past they've never even experienced.

Interestingly, I was behind a truck today that had the official flag of the CSA displayed on the back window. I think that would be the "dignified" way to display your affection for a now-defunct entity instead of displaying an emblem that is associated with a losing war, which makes those who do so look like sore losers who can't break with a past they've never even experienced.

You mean like those who still refuse to take off their Gore or Kerry stickers after losing an election??? :D

Cheap shot, sorry, Im done now again lol

Usually I enjoy sitting and watching you other guy's discussions but you guys are completley off topic .

I found this article on Findarticles.com here is the link

The new home of the Free Trade Area of the Americas' Secretariat should be strategically located for the 34 countries in the hemisphere. It should be a place with strong business connections and an extensive hospitality, transportation and technology infrastructure for business leaders throughout the Americas.

Atlanta, Georgia, is where the world's trade leaders come when they want to do business. More than 1,600 foreign headquarters representing 39 countries are located in the state. Today, Georgia is home to more than 15 Fortune 500 and 30 Fortune 1000 headquarters.

Hundreds of thousands of people saw Atlanta for the first time when the city hosted the 1996 Olympics, securing its place on the international stage. Atlanta and Georgia are proud of what visitors see when the spotlight shines on the city and state. Atlanta, Georgia, is the Gateway to the Americas and its government, civic and business leaders are committed to creating opportunities to do business with the Americas.

You will soon be hearing more about "Atlanta, Georgia--Gateway to the Americas," and the story of the commercial center of the Southeastern U.S. You are invited to visit Georgia's great capital city to experience for yourself its business-friendly climate and Southern hospitality.

I agree Daddy.......and it would look well in the Allen Plaza complex as well.

I was reading the article out of Miami provided by Student. From what I was reading in the article, it appears that Panama City, Panama is the front runner. Am I correct? Or was this article a little dated and the cities have been dwindled to two?

Now, with the race entering its final stretch--a site decision by trade ministers is scheduled for this summer--the competition is tougher than ever. Miami is up against 10 other cities, with Panama City, Panama considered the strongest rival and Port-of-Spain in Trinidad and Tobago a distant third. San Juan in the U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico joined the fray late, rounding out a list that includes Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Galveston and Colorado Springs in the US, plus Puebla and Cancun in Mexico.
The delegate from Trinidad and Tobago said:

Trinidad-Tobago and other contenders outside the US say it's time to locate a major headquarters elsewhere. "It would be improper if the Secretariat were located in either of its two largest components [the US or Brazil]," Harold Robertson, the Trinidad and Tobago consul in Miami, told a conference last fall in pushing Port-of-Spain's FTAA bid. "That would further concentrate power."

A Panamaian Delegate speaking about Miami:

Even the weather became a pawn in the fight, with "frequent storms and hurricanes in Miami mid-year that endanger the lives of residents," compared to less frequent, milder storms in Panama, the newspaper reported.

Ouch.........that's gotta hurt. The Panamanian official did say that the Miami delegate was reporting on Panan City's high crime rate. This could get ugly. I hope Atlanta doesn't stoop so low. Just show up what you have and be done with it. No need to tear others down to build yourself up. You win some, you lose some.

Allen Plaza would be great, Lady Celeste. My impression is that those cities in other countries are still in the running. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the U.S. candidates have been narrowed down to Miami and Atlanta. This doesn't have to be a slugfest. Just play up your positives, and let the decision be made based on the merits of the bidding cities.

I wish I could view the video of Atlanta's proposed Secretariat building, but I'm having technical problems. :(

In that case, either US pick has an uphill battle in my estimation.

The other choices are logical picks. Think about it, for all the strengths that one could name as to why Miami (or Atlanta) is the clear choice for the US could be the nail in the coffin once it goes for a vote. Brussels is not the financial capital of the EU. Brussels is not home to the most F500. Brussels is not the largest city. Technically if you think about it, maybe one of those smaller places will win. The only thing the US pick would have over it's competitors would be a much more stable government.

Colorado Springs, CO as one of the places on the short list? Really?? No offense intended, I just do not understand why other than it's recent climb to the American top 50 cities in population. It's economy seems mostly oriented around military concerns, high tech and tourism, not trade, transportation, finance or diverse demographics. Besides, Charlotte, NC should clearly be the place to house the FTAA headquarters. If they wait another few years to decide (as will likely happen), it will be a foregone conclusion. ;) OK, so I am biased.

In all seriousness, I agree with the Trinidad/Tobago viewpoint, that it should be placed outside the US and Brazil, probably Mexico as well for similar reasons.

We have more miles of fiber optic line them anywhere else on earth.*

* I have no idea if that is corect, but it sounded good.

LOL, actually, I read about this somewhere recently, NYC is #1 and Virginia Beach or somewhere close by is #2, because they are the trunk terminus for connection to Europe. Wait, nevermind, I think that is regular cable, not fiber optic...

Archived