PROPOSED: Hartford-New Haven-Springfield Commuter/High Speed Rail Line

Cotuit

It's amazing how after high-profile accidents in Avon and Lyme, a runaway-truck ramp and new jersey barriers, respectively, were put in place almost immediately. And there's no progress here. I seriously suspect corruption or incompetence. If this rail line was in place this year (the year of gas price reality) like it originally was supposed to, people would be lauding this state for being ahead. Instead, the DOT and the state just are pathetic.

It's amazing how after high-profile accidents in Avon and Lyme, a runaway-truck ramp and new jersey barriers, respectively, were put in place almost immediately. And there's no progress here. I seriously suspect corruption or incompetence. If this rail line was in place this year (the year of gas price reality) like it originally was supposed to, people would be lauding this state for being ahead. Instead, the DOT and the state just are pathetic.

The truck ramp was designed and planned for years ago, but there was local resistance to construction until the big accident. The barriers in east Lyme are just repcements for the existing highway median so there is not environmental impacts. Jay

The truck ramp was designed and planned for years ago, but there was local resistance to construction until the big accident. The barriers in east Lyme are just repcements for the existing highway median so there is not environmental impacts. Jay

I hope you don't believe it's the environmental issue that's really holding this project back.

I hope you don't believe it's the environmental issue that's really holding this project back.

Then what is it? Is it the lack of staff at ConnDOT since Rowland hacked the agency to save money? Is it the fact that the Governor and AG's offices now micro-manages everything which bogs the system down? Or is it that same tired old excuse everyone mistakenly believes that ConnDOT is anti-mass-transit? The project is going through its environmental review process like every other major project. The EPA is saying it may require a more detailed review than is currently underway. This is not known until the Feds review the project closely. Believe me if the polititains could get this moving faster they would and WILL. Jay

Then what is it? Is it the lack of staff at ConnDOT since Rowland hacked the agency to save money? Is it the fact that the Governor and AG's offices now micro-manages everything which bogs the system down? Or is it that same tired old excuse everyone mistakenly believes that ConnDOT is anti-mass-transit? The project is going through its environmental review process like every other major project. The EPA is saying it may require a more detailed review than is currently underway. This is not known until the Feds review the project closely. Believe me if the polititains could get this moving faster they would and WILL. Jay

ConnDOT's history precedes it. When it wasn't micromanaged and when it was over-funded, it built things like it's shameful sprawling Berlin Turnpike headquarters, under-utilized HOV lanes based on a fallacy that it would make people suddenly want to carpool, despite the addition of more regular lanes to make the idea useless, and I-84 in East Hartford with its 12 embarrassing lanes. They have always been anti-mass transit. At the same time, other American cities were building light rail.

• 2 months later...

ConnDOT's history precedes it. When it wasn't micromanaged and when it was over-funded, it built things like it's shameful sprawling Berlin Turnpike headquarters, under-utilized HOV lanes based on a fallacy that it would make people suddenly want to carpool, despite the addition of more regular lanes to make the idea useless, and I-84 in East Hartford with its 12 embarrassing lanes. They have always been anti-mass transit. At the same time, other American cities were building light rail.

Sorry I missed this old post but I could not let it go by. ConnDOT's headquarters building looks expensive but was built at a very reasonable cost for a building of its size and it has served the department well by bringing staff under one roof into a spacious modern facility rather the dumpy mulitple over-priced leased spaces they use to be in. The HOV lanes were required by the Federal Highway Administration as a way to encourage car pooling. This concept works in other parts of the country and was in vogue back in the 80's as a solution to congestion. Even though they look empty, they do carry a large number of people in fewer vehicles. That is what they were suppose to do. As for the 12 "embarassing" lanes in East Hartford, they are there because that section of I-84 is between two major interchanges and are needed to accomodate weaving traffic between them. As for being anti-mass transit, ConnDOT spends million support mass-transit including the New Haven line, Shoreline East, Connecticut Transit and a number of other transit agenices throughout the state. Not many other American cities the size of Hartford were building light rail. Jay

Sorry I missed this old post but I could not let it go by. ConnDOT's headquarters building looks expensive but was built at a very reasonable cost for a building of its size and it has served the department well by bringing staff under one roof into a spacious modern facility rather the dumpy mulitple over-priced leased spaces they use to be in. The HOV lanes were required by the Federal Highway Administration as a way to encourage car pooling. This concept works in other parts of the country and was in vogue back in the 80's as a solution to congestion. Even though they look empty, they do carry a large number of people in fewer vehicles. That is what they were suppose to do. As for the 12 "embarassing" lanes in East Hartford, they are there because that section of I-84 is between two major interchanges and are needed to accomodate weaving traffic between them. As for being anti-mass transit, ConnDOT spends million support mass-transit including the New Haven line, Shoreline East, Connecticut Transit and a number of other transit agenices throughout the state. Not many other American cities the size of Hartford were building light rail. Jay

Tal about rose-colored glasses. There is absolutely nothing reasonable about DOT's headquarters. Add to that the fact that it was built somewhere inaccessible to mass transit shows the organization's complete lack of vision and ineptitude. I've seen some poorly run and poorly operating entities before, but ConnDOT really takes the cake.

As for mass transit systems, Pittsburgh, Portland, Buffalo, Sacramento, and Memphis all opened up light rail systems in the 1980's or early 90's, off the top of my head. There is no end to the amount of blame ConnDOT should have in setting back the Hartford region way behind where it should be.

Also, the HOV lanes and the over-reaching design of I-84 are complete failures and I find it hard anyone would believe otherwise.

• 1 month later...

WTNH.com

Rail line would include

Bradley stop

Last Edited: Tuesday, 09 Dec 2008, 5:57 AM EST

Created On: Tuesday, 09 Dec 2008, 5:46 AM EST

Hartford (WTNH) - State leaders are working to get a commuter rail project going.

Lawmakers and mass transit advocates today will urge the Connecticut Department of Transportation to fast-track a New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter rail project.

The rail line would also include a stop near Bradley International Airport.

While the DOT is aiming to get the project done by 2015, advocates are hoping to get the project running within two years.

The rail line would also include a stop near Bradley International Airport.

I ment to comment on this statement before.

when the commuter line feasability study was done they calculated for two different build outs. only the full build out included the Airport spur.

So the above statement means to me that the state has decided that it is worth while to go for the full build out. If you look at the two plans, the full build out is so much more usefull than the partial build.

so to me this is much bigger news than the fast tracking

The rail service would operate on existing track from New Haven through Hartford to Springfield, Mass., with some shuttle-bus service to provide better access to nearby points of interest, including Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks.

but this makes me nervous to think it might be the useless version. dammit!!!

Also, Enfield is looking to build a transit hub, and part of that is by re-doing its train depot.

http://www.journalinquirer.com/articles/20...8b094857329.txt

The total projected cost for the transit center, which would begin with bus service and grow to have rail service, is approximately $10.5 million. The majority of the costs associated with the proposed project come from reuse of the Casket building, according to Farmer, which is estimated to cost $3 million to rehabilitate.

Farmer and Bryanton said the plans are to phase in development of the site from an initial bus station through 2016, when commuter rail service is expected to begin. The initial bus service phase also would include a parking lot accommodating about 40 cars.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 2 weeks later...

If only this was more realistic than simply unfettered optimism:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/op_ed/...0,5397218.story

There was a map in the Sunday CTOpinion section of the Courant. In addition to the commuter rail it had three light rail lines; one to Manchester, one to Middletown, and one to Bradley passing by U of Hartford and Bloomfield. The New Britain busway was there as well.

There was a map in the Sunday CTOpinion section of the Courant. In addition to the commuter rail it had three light rail lines; one to Manchester, one to Middletown, and one to Bradley passing by U of Hartford and Bloomfield. The New Britain busway was there as well.

And only if that was another rail line instead of a bus.

Just forget the busway, have that a rail line branch off towards New Britain and perhaps Bristol.

Hartford could use a dose of optimism. Unfettered or not. Is the map online?

• 2 weeks later...

And only if that was another rail line instead of a bus.

Just forget the busway, have that a rail line branch off towards New Britain and perhaps Bristol.

I hope they'll use the Connecticut Southern line for the Passenger service between Hartford and Manchester. They still need to rebuild the midland route.

• 2 weeks later...

New Haven-To-Springfield Rail Line

State Hoping To Break Amtrak Impasse

By DON STACOM {sodEmoji.|} The Hartford Courant January 13, 2009 Despite acknowledging that a frustrating impasse with Amtrak has stalled plans for a New Haven-to-Springfield commuter rail line, the state's transportation chief said he's not ready to ask Connecticut's congressional delegation to step in

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 3 months later...

So I know we've had separate discussions about New Haven-Hartford-Springfield and Waterbury-Hartford lines, but I wanted to bring this up given: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/16/obama.rail/index.html

First, I always find it funny that the Acela express goes through NH. I know it's historically there, but there seem to be so many kinks to the rail line from NH to Boston AND I'm sure land down there is VERY expensive, so any hopes of realigning tracks could have a hefty price tag. Why not route it through Hartford to Providence via Williamantic or Hartford to Boston via Worcester?

Second, more generalized version of previous point, we talk a lot about linking to nyc, but why not link to Boston? Why hasn't there been much talk about this?

I am pleasantly surprised by this. I was beotching to my father last night about how I was sure that Obama's high speed rail plans would not include Hartford because it would probably just follow I-95. A few minutes ago I saw a map of the identified high speed rail corridors and it looks like New Haven-Hartford-Boston is included somehow. It also looks to extend from Hartford-Albany-Buffalo. This could be great for us. I really want to get some more details on this if anyone can find anything else. Here is the map as posted.

The White House - Vision for High Speed Rail

rail_map_blog.jpg

Hartford Courant

NEW HAVEN — - The long-discussed idea to create commuter train service between New Haven and Springfield got a shot of turbo-momentum Thursday when President Barack Obama announced a $13 billion stimulus package that might pay for it.

Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., immediately pledged to help Connecticut and Massachusetts officials try to pull in a share of the money, and a senior Amtrak executive estimated that service could begin in as little as two to three years if the funding comes through.

"I'm excited — this is taking on a life of its own," said state Rep. David McCluskey, D- West Hartford, among the state's most prominent mass transit advocates. "This wouldn't be a silver bullet for the towns and cities along the route, but it could be an enormous part of reviving the Meridens and Enfields."

Connecticut and Massachusetts will be competing against nine other regions throughout the nation for a share of $8 billion in high-speed rail initiatives; other corridors range from Detroit-Chicago and Miami-Orlando to San Antonio-Tulsa. Obama's plan also offers $1 billion a year for the next five years to help upgrade the lines to handle 100-mph or faster trains.

HT, sadly its Springfield, and not Hartford

I posted in the bullet train thread in New England forum the local map that was in the Courant.

Also I think Hiram posted an article.

I can live with not being the hub. Springfield makes more sense geographically for that anyway. I'm still pleasantly surprised at the scope of the plan and that it looks like it will come through Hartford. That's very good news regardless. We are still the largest labor market other than Boston in the Northern New England corridor which should bode well for us.

46349081.jpg

I can live with not being the hub. Springfield makes more sense geographically for that anyway. I'm still pleasantly surprised at the scope of the plan and that it looks like it will come through Hartford. That's very good news regardless. We are still the largest labor market other than Boston in the Northern New England corridor which should bode well for us.

46349081.jpg

The full-build scenario always included the re-addition of the second track (the Amtrak has continued to remove piece by piece to nearly this day) and electrification. This scenario was seen as the pie-in-the-sky scenario, but according to the article could be possible now. I think it should be built fully, if it's going to be done, do it right. Amtrak needs to get out of the picture though, they are being completely unreaonable sadly.