PROPOSED: Hartford-New Haven-Springfield Commuter/High Speed Rail Line

Cotuit

The Demcrats already own the northeast, why put money here. Competitive states like Florida will get the lions share. Politics plays a huge roll in these decisions.

Yeah, but you are going to get nothing 100% of the time when you don't even apply for the money. Also, if Republicans did not tend to be so reflexively anti-mass transit this would not happen since Dems and Repubs would both potentially lend support to valuable mass transit projects it would not be a campaign issue. It really should not be a campaign issue. You should not have to vote for Dems because you want to see good mass transit policies enacted. Too bad mass transit is for commies I guess!

This article provides some insight into what is going on in MASS regarding this project. Apparently they are actively working on getting the proposal together for the Springfield-Boston line and the denial of funds to the coastal corridor could signal a change in emphasis coming from the Feds in favor of the inland route. That is what I would hope is happening.

Valley Advocate

The Boston Globe's reporting noted that New England had been "outgunned" by other states for the funds, pointing out that California and Florida had each gotten $2.3 and $1.2 billion respectively, and that an improved southern coastal route via Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts had been denied funding.

This hasn't muted Roscoe's excitement for the project. He points out that the state has shown a lot of interest in improving east-west rail connectivity between Springfield and Boston that would include a Palmer stop, and that Congressman Olver has secured funding for a feasibility study and the Department of Transportation is preparing a request for proposals. He and the PVPC have always supported upgrading this corridor as a more practical option than keeping the Amherst station open. "Looking at these projects globally," he said, "an alternate route between Boston and New York would provide competition with the southern route along the coast, and be better for the region."

• 2 weeks later...

Some more info on what is going on in Mass regarding this project.

Springfield Republican

The Vermonter currently stops in Springfield and Amherst, but plans are to move the route to the other side of the Connecticut River, where it will stop in Holyoke, Northampton and Greenfield, as well as in Springfield.

• 2 months later...

It's great to hear that this sounds like it was a productive meeting.

Hartford Courant

Federal Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood predicted this morning that Connecticut is in position to be among the first states in the nation to start new high-speed rail service.

LaHood stopped short of any guarantees, but implied that the state has a good chance at landing a share of $2.5 billion in new federal rail grants this year.

"When a state has its act together, it's going to do well. Connecticut has its act together," LaHood told reporters after riding an Amtrak train along part of the proposed high-speed rail link from New Haven to Springfield.

ABC News

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood encouraged Connecticut officials on Monday to work with Massachusetts and the federal government to introduce high-speed commuter rail service to the region, saying it will likely be one of the first completed projects in the nation.

LaHood, appearing at the state Capitol with state and federal officials, said the planned service linking New Haven, Hartford and Springfield, Mass., gels with President Barack Obama's vision to connect America with inner-city high-speed passenger rail and spur economic development.

"Connecticut has its act together and Connecticut will be connected with inner-city high-speed passenger rail because of the cooperation between the state government, the federal government and the opportunities that are created for the money that may be available in the future," he said.

Too bad nobody decided to pick his brain about the switcheroo with the NB busline to rail...

Looks like some of the Waterbury - Hartford rail contingent were represented. DeFronzo was at the meeting and he's stated that he supports Waterbury to Hartford rail over the busway and Nicastro of the Bristol Chamber reiterated his common sense position in favor of rail although I do not believe he was actually in attendance. Regardless of what happens with the busway it's fantastic to see this rail line start to get off the ground. I'm convinced that this will do wonders for the regional economy and for Hartford and Springfield.

Bristol Press

Nicastro said “an inland high speed connection to the north and to Boston would form a strategic alignment that has a high potential for economic growth” when tied to the commuter rail line he’d like see between Waterbury and Hartford.

2016 sounds OK to me. 2014 would be much better though. Let's get it done CT!

Hartford Courant

"We had a good run," Dodd said after the roughly 50-minute trip. "This is a terrific project. It really is about the economic growth and development of the whole region."

Rell predicted that if funding for the $800 million to $900 million project works out, high-speed trains could be running through central Connecticut by 2016.

LaHood said it would be among the first new high-speed systems in the nation. The only existing one is the Boston-to- Washington, D.C., Acela service along the shoreline.

The Obama administration has made modern, fast, intercity train service a priority, saying that rail links between key cities will bring jobs and economic development.

I like that Nicastro was vocal.

I do not think that Bloomfield, UHa or Albany Ave get stations.

maybe Albany Ave does, there is one planned kind of near the music Amphetheater though. so Union Station, North Meadown, then Windsor, then Airport, then Windsor locks.

I dunno, I put them all on a map here a couple years ago. its based on the official web site study etc...

• 3 weeks later...

The Windsor Locks station might be moved to a better spot in the center of town.

I looked at the PDF report on this and all the schematics. this is something that could really make windsor Locks a nice place to be.

there is the train station move as well as a re-working of the roads that creates traffic calming and introduces more pedestrian friendly streets. it also includes serious street scaping for asthetics, and most importantly it expands the green space(town green) making the village more enjoyable.

this also will include much wider sidewalks. and the redevelopment of a mill building into residences and a bar/restuarnt

WL is preparing for the commuter rail and its effects, lets hope other towns do the same.

http://www.courant.com/community/windsor-locks/hc-hc-windsor-locks-train-0513.artmay12,0,5638462.story

Wawruck said the station's location far from the town center does not contribute to the economic growth of Main Street. He said Windsor Locks would benefit greatly from a downtown stop on the commuter line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hartford Courant

HARTFORD — —

Gov. M. Jodi Rell said today she expects the State Bond Commission to approve her request for $260 million to make a "dramatic upgrade" of the Springfield-to-Hartford-to New Haven rail line.

If the envisioned project goes forward, the state could offer intercity commuter rail service within five years, she said. Allowing more people to take the train to work will spur economic development in Enfield, Windsor Locks, Meriden and six other communities along the route, she said.

This is great news. This project is looking like it is actually going to happen which is a miracle by CT standards.

Good articles.

peoples resistance to rail is so bizare. the comments you can see on that first article, and the 1 star rating on the 2nd are just backwards thinking.

oh well.

I never had much faith in humanity.

I would be interested in learning more about this Philly groups master rail plan.

having used the high speed rail networks in France, Italy, and Spain, I have to think that France has it down pretty good.

the development that the TGV system has brought to certain cities is just damn Amazing. people now communte from far flung cities and Lyon has had a full on revival since being placed square in the center of the system.

I know when I was in Southern France, the people I knew spoke of quick trips up north as if it were nothing to go to paris etc...

the problem in France however is that the E-W lines are still oldschool slow as poop. the N-S lines are shiny and fast.

in the time it would take you to get from Nice to The Spanish Boarder, you could go from Avignon to Paris and back. heck maybe even back to paris again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good news. Wish it was the whole $220M but this will certainly get things going in the right direction.

Hartford Courant

U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd's office has scheduled an announcement Monday afternoon about the allocation, calling it "a major federal investment" to kick-start the service between New Haven, Hartford and Springfield, Mass.

Dodd's office would not disclose the amount, but two people with knowledge of the funding who were not authorized to speak before the announcement told The Associated Press it was $121 million.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I shouldn't do this but I can't resist. Sorry, but I think we should go after Wisconsin and Ohio's rejected high speed rail money too if Illinois and NY are going to try to get some of it. Also if Florida, or Iowa reject it we should go after it. Hell, we should try to get the money that was going to go to the tunnel in NJ that Christie scrapped. I'm so glad we have a Governor and Governor Elect who have long term vision and will not kill our high speed rail project. I'm not knocking Foley though, because I think he said he supported the project too but jeez, some of these guys are pretty dense.

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO —

Illinois transportation officials say they'll take the $810 million in federal high-speed rail funds that Wisconsin Gov.-elect Scott Walker has said he'll reject.

Walker made opposing a Milwaukee-Madison rail project a key part of his successful campaign against his Democratic opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett who supported it.

Illinois has received $1.2 billion in high-speed rail funding. Transportation Secretary Gary Hannig says the state could make improvements to the Chicago-St. Louis corridor with Wisconsin's money.

And it could be used to build stations in Joliet and Rockford.

But Illinois isn't the only state that wants Wisconsin's money.

New York Gov.-elect Andrew Cuomo has expressed interest too.

I know I shouldn't do this but I can't resist. Sorry, but I think we should go after Wisconsin and Ohio's rejected high speed rail money too if Illinois and NY are going to try to get some of it. Also if Florida, or Iowa reject it we should go after it. Hell, we should try to get the money that was going to go to the tunnel in NJ that Christie scrapped. I'm so glad we have a Governor and Governor Elect who have long term vision and will not kill our high speed rail project. I'm not knocking Foley though, because I think he said he supported the project too but jeez, some of these guys are pretty dense.

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO —

Illinois transportation officials say they'll take the $810 million in federal high-speed rail funds that Wisconsin Gov.-elect Scott Walker has said he'll reject.

Walker made opposing a Milwaukee-Madison rail project a key part of his successful campaign against his Democratic opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett who supported it.

Illinois has received $1.2 billion in high-speed rail funding. Transportation Secretary Gary Hannig says the state could make improvements to the Chicago-St. Louis corridor with Wisconsin's money.

And it could be used to build stations in Joliet and Rockford.

But Illinois isn't the only state that wants Wisconsin's money.

New York Gov.-elect Andrew Cuomo has expressed interest too.

:stop: Whoa! Stay away from our money lol. But you are right on. I knew this was going to be the case. These states giving up their federal money are just handing it to some more forward looking state who is all too willing to accept it/ go after it. Congrats for electing a governor who can look to the future. Too bad we in Florida didn't.