PROPOSED: Hartford-New Haven-Springfield Commuter/High Speed Rail Line

Cotuit

I think it is the Metro North Line which runs from NH to NY through Danbury.

That I know, but why would anyone use it to go to NYC? The Brewster North station is 15 minutes West of Danbury, and that's a straight shot to NYC with express trains (about 1:15 in length). Who uses the Danbury to NH line, and for what?

- Garris

That I know, but why would anyone use it to go to NYC? The Brewster North station is 15 minutes West of Danbury, and that's a straight shot to NYC with express trains (about 1:15 in length). Who uses the Danbury to NH line, and for what?

- Garris

Most people in Danbury that take the train go to the Brewster/Southeast Station in downtown Brewster, a 7 minute trip from western danbury. As for th Danbury/New Haven Train (via Norwalk) almost no one takes it. Come to think of it, someone my mom works with takes the train from Bridgeport, changes trains in South Norwalk, takes the train to downtown danburyand then takes the bus or walks 3 miles to work (all that for about $8.00 a hr, I guess things are that bad in Bridgeport).

Great article. Thanks for posting it. It needs to be done, and sooner rather than later...

- Garris

PS: Does anyone actually use the Danbury to NH rail connector?

Yes, the state has been dragging its feet on the NH-Springfield commuter rail. This could and should have up and running many years ago.

• 1 month later...

There are numerous unused rail lines running out of Hartford (including one that runs under Adriaen's Landing). These can be used with new rails laid on those stupid HOV highway lanes to begin creating somekind of rail commuter system.

The railroad line under Adriaen's is used by CSO (Connecticut Southern) to service the regional market, the recycling plants and lumber yard in the industrial park AND by P&W (Providence & Wochester) from Middletown carrying Construction wastes. Get an RDC from Manchester or even Vernon to Hartford, and a passenger train from Waterbury. (Maybe call the passenger train -- The Nathan Hale)

JimS

The state is also going to be building a new commuter rail line from New Milford to NYC.

Commuters from New Milford will be able to take the train straight to New York City within the next 10 years, under a massive state transportation improvement bill approved Wednesday by the House.

Officials say if things go well, construction likely would begin at least five years from now.

"It will be statutory. It wouldn't be an option," said Rep. David Scribner, R-Brookfield, the ranking Republican on the legislature's Transportation Committee, stressing the project will be completed. "There is a renewed realization that we need more promotion of public transportation for the overall economy of the state."

The bill, which passed by a vote of 143-4, would also streamline rail travel for commuters from all of the Danbury area traveling to the Big Apple, by building and electrifying new tracks.

Then, passengers boarding the Danbury line will go straight to Grand Central Station. Now they have to change trains at the South Norwalk Metro-North station, so the Danbury line serves as a shuttle.

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id...ocal&Type=Page2

The state is also going to be building a new commuter rail line from New Milford to NYC.

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id...ocal&Type=Page2

Also looks like the New Haven-Springfield Commuter line now has legs.

Bill Boosts Rails' Role

$2.3 Billion Package Means More Trains

By CHRISTOPHER KEATING

Capitol Bureau Chief

April 27 2006

Approving one of the year's biggest priorities, the state House of Representatives voted Wednesday for a $2.3 billion, 10-year transportation package that would pay for new railroad stations and more trains around the state.

Once implemented, the comprehensive plan is designed to unclog gridlock on state highways and to generate economic growth as workers find it easier to get to their jobs and truckers move freight more quickly to businesses, lawmakers said.

Legislators congratulated themselves for the bipartisan effort, saying the bill's passage on a significant issue represented the legislature at its best.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell, who vowed to sign the bill after its expected passage in the Senate, said the state must solve the long-running problem that constantly affects citizens from all walks of life.

continue reading...Hartford Courant

I also think that commuter rail could/should be revived on the New Britain/Waterbury line. The Hazardville/Somers line to Springfield could also be reinstituted.

Mark

Mark:

The Amory Branch is a railroad up to the State Line. Central New England runs a weekly train to the Crop Production fertilizer plant, and Connecticut Southern runs trains daily from East Hartford to East Windsor Hill.

East Longmeadow made the railroad into a trail -- so I doubt passenger service will return. Maybe from Hazardville - with a RDC.

Jim S

Wow Mark - the Hazardville - Springfield line - that's a very interesting concept! I think the line is really bad shape?

Much of the track(in Ct.) is still in place and while the Mass. ROW might be a trail, it could always be converted back or have a dual purpose ROW like they have in Portland, Or with their light rail. Yes, the tracks are in disrepair, but a secondary line serving both Hartford and Springfield should be in place.

Hartford should plan for full commuter rail rather than just the north/south line. That is why the New Britain/Waterbury line needs to also be a priority. It is another access to NYC, Stamford, etc.

Mark

Much of the track(in Ct.) is still in place and while the Mass. ROW might be a trail, it could always be converted back or have a dual purpose ROW like they have in Portland, Or with their light rail. Yes, the tracks are in disrepair, but a secondary line serving both Hartford and Springfield should be in place.

Hartford should plan for full commuter rail rather than just the north/south line. That is why the New Britain/Waterbury line needs to also be a priority. It is another access to NYC, Stamford, etc.

Mark

Does the proposed line run through Wethersfield near the DMV? There was one track that was at grade that ran paralel to the main commercial strip in that area. There are two concerns for me if that's the line. First, they'll need to install additional track so they can run both ways concurrently; secondly, it crosses too many roads and would be a real inconvenience and thus, any additional runs that might be suggested would be shot down. I think a successful commuter line should only cross streets occasionally, if at all.

I'd think a Waterbury/New Britain line would be great and that it should extend to East Hartford's Rentschler Field and the Storrs Uconn campus with other stops here and there (i.e. Manchester)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Once we have a nice little Commuter run through the I-91 corridor, do you guys think that would finally merge the Hartford/Springfield areas in the eyes of the Government (or whoever does those statistics), or is it not even possible?

Once we have a nice little Commuter run through the I-91 corridor, do you guys think that would finally merge the Hartford/Springfield areas in the eyes of the Government (or whoever does those statistics), or is it not even possible?

It should be possible. Does Springfield want to be in the same metro or are they hung up on their individuality? Baltimore and Washington, Dallas and Fort Worth, Saint Paul and Minneapolis all share metros. It would absolutely make sense to me if these cities were lumped together into one metro. Moreso New Haven mostly due to the shared media market.

The commuter rail is definately a step in the right direction.

The gov't uses commuting patterns in order to merge metro's, so yeah, a commuter rail line would certainly help get us closer to the 15% threshold. I believe right now about 8% of people living in Springfield's metro commute to Hartford for work.

It should be possible. Does Springfield want to be in the same metro or are they hung up on their individuality? Baltimore and Washington, Dallas and Fort Worth, Saint Paul and Minneapolis all share metros. It would absolutely make sense to me if these cities were lumped together into one metro. Moreso New Haven mostly due to the shared media market.

The commuter rail is definately a step in the right direction.

I think it would be in Springfield's best interest to be in the Hartford metro area.

It would be in Springfield's best interest to become a Hartford metro, but really there is no interest in Springfield for that to happen. Its pretty bull-headed, but its just the way it is.

Having said that, I think a commuter line will definitely help increase the percentage commuting. Western Mass, while not incredibly cheaper, it is a little cheaper to find housing than it is in the immediate greater Hartford area. I think that will attract some people to live in Springfield and make a 30 minute commute down to Hartford.

Edited by robm324

Interestingly enough here is a series of articles from today's Courant about this topic.

Hartford-Springfield

Making the most of the Springfield Connection

Springfield needs a real growth strategy

Very interesting articles. Sounds like the State of Mass is not really interested in revitalizing it's smaller cities. Why bother when you got Boston :dontknow:

Very interesting articles. Sounds like the State of Mass is not really interested in revitalizing it's smaller cities. Why bother when you got Boston :dontknow:

Too bad New England is so provincial. If Hartford and Sprinfield were in the same state, there would be no discussion of this right now. I wonder how long Baltimore and Washington have been considered one metro.

Boston will continue to thrive with or without public investments such as a new convention center so why not spend money on the mid sized cities in the state such as Springfield and Worcester. Worcester is seeing development (the town center, a renovated DCU center, Hilton Garden Inn, new courthouse, etc) but will still need to come a long way (for example the city needs residents downtown). Springfield now needs to get to start getting funding from the state to jumpstart some private investments.

Boston will continue to thrive with or without public investments such as a new convention center so why not spend money on the mid sized cities in the state such as Springfield and Worcester. Worcester is seeing development (the town center, a renovated DCU center, Hilton Garden Inn, new courthouse, etc) but will still need to come a long way (for example the city needs residents downtown). Springfield now needs to get to start getting funding from the state to jumpstart some private investments.

The State is leaving Springfeild behind.