PROPOSED: Hartford-New Haven-Springfield Commuter/High Speed Rail Line

Cotuit

Does anyone find it Oh-So interesting how long the state has been considering/procrastinating rail service?

We are told 2011 it will begin.

NYT article on Conneticut considering this serivce, dated 1986

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A960948260

Well, when did Shore Line East start? That article was correct on that. But, I've always wondered why the corridor that includes Hartford wasn't done first? Shore Line East is great but this area is even more populated and needs it soon.

Some interesting news quotes on the proposed commuter rail line:

"-- New Haven-to-Springfield commuter rail, which would run on an Amtrak-owned line, should be electrified and should accommodate Acela trains. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a new slow-moving, diesel-propelled line would be like building the two-lane section of I-95 noted above."

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/co...tt.1b39e06.html

:thumbsup:

" State Sen. Andrew McDonald, D-Stamford, said the state has "warped priorities" if it plans to subsidize nearly 90 percent of the New Haven-to-Hartford line when only about 30 percent of the Metro-North line between Greenwich and New Haven is state funded."

" Jim Cameron, chairman of the Connecticut Rail Commuter Council, said he understands the need to keep fares affordable on the proposed New Haven-Hartford line but said it shouldn't come at the expense of Metro-North riders.

"Is this like Robin Hood? Steal from the rich and subsidize the poor?" Cameron asked. "How should Metro-North riders feel when they're on older trains, already paying $300-plus a year for parking and then see their mid-state cousins riding new trains, getting free parking and much lower fares?""

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local...local-headlines

Ugh. :blink:

That is kind of crazy with the subsidies being so uneven. I do understand that we have to start from scratch and encourage ridership so I guess I agree with it as long as it's temporary. However I think the subsidy for the New Haven Line should be increased and that line should be improved as well. That's why we need a Dem as Governor, but that most likely won't happen so neither will any really bold and major advances with this state's transit situation.

That is kind of crazy with the subsidies being so uneven. I do understand that we have to start from scratch and encourage ridership so I guess I agree with it as long as it's temporary. However I think the subsidy for the New Haven Line should be increased and that line should be improved as well. That's why we need a Dem as Governor, but that most likely won't happen so neither will any really bold and major advances with this state's transit situation.

I'm just appauled that this Jim Cameron is trying to derail Hartford's train. Having commuter rail is a luxury that people in the Hartford area have not had in many decades. They plan hasn't even been completely finalized, and he's already attacking it. We still don't have a single piece of commuter rail yet, but Jim is saying that we're spoiled...

I know... we need our own Jim Cameron who will try to attack Metro North in southwestern CT and proclaim himself a mass transit advocate, but yet just attack Metro North. We'll have our own rivalry and fight with their riders and mark each other's trains. "Hartford Rail Fanz wuz here"

Just kidding, but seriously Jim Cameron is a misguided jerk.

I'm just appauled that this Jim Cameron is trying to derail Hartford's train. Having commuter rail is a luxury that people in the Hartford area have not had in many decades. They plan hasn't even been completely finalized, and he's already attacking it. We still don't have a single piece of commuter rail yet, but Jim is saying that we're spoiled...

I know... we need our own Jim Cameron who will try to attack Metro North in southwestern CT and proclaim himself a mass transit advocate, but yet just attack Metro North. We'll have our own rivalry and fight with their riders and mark each other's trains. "Hartford Rail Fanz wuz here"

Just kidding, but seriously Jim Cameron is a misguided jerk.

I totally agree about that. The people down there don't care about us here in the real Connecticut. As soon as we get Hartford to pop off big time, they'll be riding our trains up here and I wouldn't be surprised if we starting stealing some residents from that overpriced corner of our fair state.

I totally agree about that. The people down there don't care about us here in the real Connecticut. As soon as we get Hartford to pop off big time, they'll be riding our trains up here and I wouldn't be surprised if we starting stealing some residents from that overpriced corner of our fair state.

This is typical State Of CT atituide. Nothing surprizes me anymore.

What I'm most dissapointed in is that few years back, I had a discourse with Jim Cameron regarding the Hartford rail through email, and he was all for it, at the time. I almost joined the "Connecticut Rail Commuter Council", but it's based in Stamford and would have been difficult to get involved with it.

Now, I see he's trying to derail commuter rail through Hartford before it even starts.. Perhaps he should change his group's name to 'Fairfield County Selfish Slimebag Commuter Council'.

• 1 year later...

Its been a while since we've heard anything about this project, and now its seems like the federal government has stepped in with its own brand of idiocy:

Courant Article

After I read this article yesterday I took the time out to write Lieberman and Dodd, [sarcasm]a lot of good it will do, I'm sure [/sarcasm]. Just once can the people who make planning decisions not do the most illogical and myopic thing possible?

Edited by MichaelQReilly

This is utterly ridiculous. Leaders in my neck of the woods (Springfield, MA) are finally getting behind this and pushing Duval Patrick and the the state legislature to get behind this and it was getting some legs. This is vitally important for the economy of Springfield...maybe even more so than Greater Hartford. Regardless this is development that needs to happen ASAP....

This is utterly ridiculous. Leaders in my neck of the woods (Springfield, MA) are finally getting behind this and pushing Duval Patrick and the the state legislature to get behind this and it was getting some legs. This is vitally important for the economy of Springfield...maybe even more so than Greater Hartford. Regardless this is development that needs to happen ASAP....

Well, if we are lucky our respective congressional delegations and or state governments can put pressure on the EPA and get this folly reversed. I don't get why they need to study the environmental impact of another track when there was already one there for much of the past 150 years. Meanwhile, new roads get built and existing ones get widened without a peep from anyone.

Well, if we are lucky our respective congressional delegations and or state governments can put pressure on the EPA and get this folly reversed. I don't get why they need to study the environmental impact of another track when there was already one there for much of the past 150 years. Meanwhile, new roads get built and existing ones get widened without a peep from anyone.

This is not true. Road projects are subject to the same regulations as transit. Look at projects that have been around for years like Route 6, Route 11 and the Q Bridge. It has taken those projects over 20 years to get going. As for the Springfield line, believe it or not there is a significant constuction element to the project that could impact sensitive areas. I am not saying it is right but it is the law. Jay

Its been a while since we've heard anything about this project, and now its seems like the federal government has stepped in with its own brand of idiocy:

Courant Article

After I read this article yesterday I took the time out to write Lieberman and Dodd, [sarcasm]a lot of good it will do, I'm sure [/sarcasm]. Just once can the people who make planning decisions not do the most illogical and myopic thing possible?

Dodd can help, Lie Berman maybe as well. Who know's.

It would seem to me that taking more vehicles off the road would have a much more postive impact on the environment than NOT building a track adjacent to an existing track.

This all seems so stupid. It is absurd how much talk there is in this area as opposed to action regarding mass transit.

I wonder how much a gallon of gas would have to be in order for a majority of people in the Hartford area want to consider mass transit. I wonder when will Connecticut and Massachusetts finally get the funding and commit themselves to a project like this.

I wouldn't count on our politicians at the national level to help us on this.

Edited by Lowerdeck

The environmental study has already been done. The findings have shown that the politicians buddies in big oil companies will indeed be impacted, so the deal is squashed.

Exactly, because in the current economic climate if you build it they will ride. They didn't really expect for it to catch on before. Now they have to help the oil and automobile lobbies since it's become apparent that people will use quality mass transit.

This is not true. Road projects are subject to the same regulations as transit. Look at projects that have been around for years like Route 6, Route 11 and the Q Bridge. It has taken those projects over 20 years to get going. As for the Springfield line, believe it or not there is a significant constuction element to the project that could impact sensitive areas. I am not saying it is right but it is the law. Jay

Based on our interaction in another topic its clear to me that you and I don't see eye to eye on questions of road building. None the less, I will only note that the projects you've listed are pretty much the exceptions that prove the rule, based on my observations.

Edited by MichaelQReilly

Based on our interaction in another topic its clear to me that you and I don't see eye to eye on questions of road building. None the less, I will only note that the projects you've listed are pretty much the exceptions that prove the rule, based on my observations.

There has been some significant road building projects in the same time frame.

There is nothing to disagree on. All projects must go through an environmental review process on the State and Federal level. Project with minimal impacts do not have to go through as vigorious reveiw process as those that do. The EPA's ruling that an EIS is required means that the project does impact the environment. I do not agree with that and I am sure our leaders will fight it. I agree this project does not need anymore delays. Jay

I don't get why they need to study the environmental impact of another track when there was already one there for much of the past 150 years.

Doesn't matter to the Feds, the MBTA extension to Fall River and New Bedford is largely proposed for a right-of-way that used to have tracks and is still graded and they still had to do a full environmental review.

Doesn't matter to the Feds, the MBTA extension to Fall River and New Bedford is largely proposed for a right-of-way that used to have tracks and is still graded and they still had to do a full environmental review.

It seems to me then that this delay is something that should be expected.

Or maybe the circumstances are a little different. Regardless, I hope this delay is removed so that we can have some semblance of progess in this region. Hell much of this path used to cary 4 tracks. Restoring it to 2 is hardly an impact greater than what we have all ready had.