Coloradoans unite!

MJLO

As I am typing this Urban Planets colorado subforum is the slowest, and has the least posts of any subforum on UP. Are there any lurkers from Denver, Pueblo, Boulder, Ft. Colins? There are 4.5 million people in Colorado. There has to be people looking for new outlets to talk about it. But I don't remember any forumers from Co. If you're from CO introduce yourself and help me breath some life into this place!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can start the hop! :yahoo: I just joined today!

I live in Boulder, Colorado as of right now. I came here for graduate school.

I don't like Boulder so much and have quite a lot to say! I mean there is good/bad in land use planning and one of the best open space programs in the nation. Boulder has lots and lots of trails in open space and wonderful access to the mountains. But the other side of the coin here is that all of this makes a the donut effect around Denvers creeping sprawl. In turn this makes housing and rent really expensive in Boulder. The cost of living here is phenominal. This is one of the issues with open space systems and urban growth boundaries :blink:

I am not going to be here much longer, but I am a Colorado resident as of right now. That may change very very soon with job prospects coming up! :thumbsup:

Anyway, ask away about anything Boulder/Denver related!

Cheers!

MJLO--I am originally from the megopolis of Detroit, Michigan! I may be heading back there soon. I am kind of playing it by ear the next week and a half. If I hear from jobs anywhere that I applied for then I may stay a little longer in Colorado, but leaving Boulder. If I don't hear...then back to Dodge City I go! :)

teshadoh--If you have any questions about boulder land feel free to ask. It works for some and it doesn't work for others. Coming from Detroit I miss the following: to buy a Pączki you have to go to Denver, Jewish, Italian, or a variety of bakeries are non-existant, everyone is a health nut, no coney islands (and you gotta have coney island food once or twice a year), Greek restaruants, Middle Eastern restaraunts, and lack of diversity economic and racial. I don't want to taint your vision of Boulder buy I romanticized Boulder before I came and BOY did I learn my lesson.

I once had an instance where I went for a nanny job interview when I first moved here because finding work was difficult. In the interview the parents asked where I was from. I said, "Detroit." Then the husband replied, "Ohhhh thats an upgrade." :dontknow: YIKES!!

Personally, its not a place I want to stay for the rest of my life. Its like living in Birmingham, Michigan with rich hippies. Anyway, I am leaving soon and am glad! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, Angel!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by rich, former hippies who now wear Dockers shorts and obsess about their stock portfolios. Colorado's bad enough, but Boulder really is awful for that.

I hope that this hasn't ruined your romatic image of the West, because there really are some beautiful spots and great people here.

teshadoh--If you have any questions about boulder land feel free to ask. It works for some and it doesn't work for others. Coming from Detroit I miss the following: to buy a Pączki you have to go to Denver, Jewish, Italian, or a variety of bakeries are non-existant, everyone is a health nut, no coney islands (and you gotta have coney island food once or twice a year), Greek restaruants, Middle Eastern restaraunts, and lack of diversity economic and racial. I don't want to taint your vision of Boulder buy I romanticized Boulder before I came and BOY did I learn my lesson.

I once had an instance where I went for a nanny job interview when I first moved here because finding work was difficult. In the interview the parents asked where I was from. I said, "Detroit." Then the husband replied, "Ohhhh thats an upgrade." :dontknow: YIKES!!

Personally, its not a place I want to stay for the rest of my life. Its like living in Birmingham, Michigan with rich hippies. Anyway, I am leaving soon and am glad! :thumbsup:

Oh that isn't a problem, neither do I view Boulder as the ideal town / city, but I've yet to find any place that is perfect - it's simply a matter of appreciating it for what it is. As for me - of course I'll miss a diverse population, though being white - as a southerner, it's rather alien for me to be somewhere that is nearly completely white. Fried chicken, slaw dogs, bbq, sea food are my weaknesses & I'll sorely miss them.

Regarding Boulder - it's largely suburban, office parks, shopping centers & condo projects - but it's at least a pedestrian oriented environment & has an extensive bus system. I don't want to drive, I let my wife drive our car - & I plan to keep it that way. So that's what I'm looking forward to Boulder. Also of course less humid weather & simply - a different variety of people.

But as for the Detroit comment - sorry to break it to you, there isn't anywhere in the country where you can get away from anti-Detroit remarks. Even if it isn't deserved, Detroit doesn't have much respect anywhere - sorry...

colin-I know what you mean. I was chatting with someone at a auto shop one day and I said, man I cannot stay in Boulder. This mechanic said, "Boulder is NOT Colorado." :thumbsup: I know there are other wonderful places in the west! I was just recently up in Montana for a job interview. Thats beautiful country, especially in the western part of the state. Anyway, I have sent out a couple resumes for jobs in Montana. Thats the next place that intrigues me.

teshadoh-the pedestrian orientation and overall awareness was shocking when I first moved out here. People drive slower for the most part. There are bikers and more ped's in Boulder. The bus system is great indeed. I literally had another shock in terms of how clean Boulder is when I first moved here. I was so used to so much trash in Detroit and even in the burbs in Detroit that no litter in Boulder was shocking. The Detroit comment, I know it won't be last. I feel like I have to constantly defend Detroit & all thats good there. There are a lot of people making efforts and the D is not an easy place to move anything around or try to make change. Its like the energy there is stuck and thats how it is. I also get the "you are.." comment when I say I am fron the D. Its like people take 2 steps back.

Ohhh...and I have to mention this. LOCKING DOORS!!! :rofl: People in Boulder don't lock their doors. From going over many friends homes in Boulder to homes back in the D or in the burbs there are locks, chains, bars on the windows compared to Boulders one lock on their door. So, that could also be a shocker! :blink:

Angel you are my Michigan family, >>I<< am from Detroit, I spend a good deal of the last few years in Grand Rapids for school and such. It is my favorite place.

I don't want to sideline this thread. But I gotta say, the lack of respect of Detroit saddens me, even on this forum. People who are skeptical of Detroit, or critical, generally have never been there and know very little. I encourage everyone to know more about, especially of all people urban enthusiasts!

[sideline]

Just for the record, I've heard terrible things from most, including former residents, about Detroit.

HOWEVER, I've actually always had a positive opinion of it because of a friend of mine from Houston who went there in college for a student org conference, had a great time and spoke very highly of it.

I haven't been there personally, except for the airport, and that actually really sucked because you used to have to go onto the tarmac and ride a little Northwest bus to get from the international terminal to the regular terminal. This was like '97 though, so I'm sure they've fixed it by now.

[/sideline]

Angel, I was just in Montana and I absolutely fell in love. I spent a night in Missoula, and I've never been in a place where everyone was so nice. It was almost over-bearing. I could feel my icy heart melting away.

If I could take those ridiculous upper Rockies winters, I'd move there in a second.

MJLO-I like Grand Rapids a lot! I love the west side of the state of Michigan because I love LAKE MICHIGAN!! :thumbsup: I try to be as positive as possible about the D. I feel enough people say enough bad things about it as it is. Someones gotta turn the tide.

colin-yes I was in Bozeman for an interview and have sent out about 5 other job applications to non-profits and organizations in Bozeman. MONTANA is a place that I literally have been dreaming of since I was a kid. If I could get a job there, it would be great. The state has less than a million people in it all together. Billings is the largest city and is like a small town to us city dwellers. And Montana had a slower pace of life I have never ever fely anywhere. People were very friendly and I almost felt at home. If I get a job up there I will go! Its definitley BIG SKY country too!! :D

I'm surpised at how slow the forum is for Colorado, especially with all the new developments going on in Denver. I visit every two months. I'm from Norfolk, VA and our "city board" is huge but our city is nothing in comparison to denver. Love Denver, great city!

• 5 weeks later...

I think most people from Colorado (mostly Denverites) are content to post on SSP. That said, I'm game. I'm Chris, I was born in Colorado Springs and have spent most of my life in the cities southern suburbs. My ultimate goal is build my life in Denver, but I'm a long way's from that, so for now Colorado Springs is home. It's really not so bad.

• 1 month later...

MJLO-I like Grand Rapids a lot! I love the west side of the state of Michigan because I love LAKE MICHIGAN!! :thumbsup: I try to be as positive as possible about the D. I feel enough people say enough bad things about it as it is. Someones gotta turn the tide.

colin-yes I was in Bozeman for an interview and have sent out about 5 other job applications to non-profits and organizations in Bozeman. MONTANA is a place that I literally have been dreaming of since I was a kid. If I could get a job there, it would be great. The state has less than a million people in it all together. Billings is the largest city and is like a small town to us city dwellers. And Montana had a slower pace of life I have never ever fely anywhere. People were very friendly and I almost felt at home. If I get a job up there I will go! Its definitley BIG SKY country too!! :D

Yo wassup. Im Antonio and currently stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls Montana. Im from Denver, and lived their most of my life. Went to school at Colorado State and now Im goingg there again to get my Masters (through a distance program). Ive spent most of my life in cities, so Im used to it and find rural areas really boring afetr awhile. Soon as Im done with the Air Force, going back home but prob move to the Springs.

I don't want to sideline this thread. But I gotta say, the lack of respect of Detroit saddens me, even on this forum. People who are skeptical of Detroit, or critical, generally have never been there and know very little. I encourage everyone to know more about, especially of all people urban enthusiasts!

I lived in Detroit for 4 years, so I believe I have the right to say....... I HATED IT. it thought the people (not all, but for the most part) were the rudest and most obnoxious people Ive ever met. The city is filthy, the homes are expensive for very little space, the winters are freezing and (mostly because the streets and cities are so old) the traffic is worse than TRex on I25. I thought californian drivers were bad......nope.......they dont touch a Michiganders driving. There is a lot of history there and some beautiful areas outside of Detroit. But unfortuantely, I had such a terrible experience there, it left a rather bad taste in my mouth. My mom, however loves it out there. So to each their own I guess.

Like I said, I am stationed in great Falls, MT right now. I try to go home to denevr as often as possible (been my home since I was born). But BOZEMAN is Montana's BOULDER just so you know. Missoula is awesome and the scenery here is great but Im too much of a city boy to really appreciate this state. Everyone seems to have a really slow pace of lief (and driving too) which is nice, but its hard when you've lived in a much faster paced of life. And if I cant get to a Best Buy within 10 miles, than Im not happy. (Thats a joke). The people are really friendly, i agree. but you will soon find out that they are a very self-conscious judgemental people. So just remember that. Especially when it comes to Native Americans.

I lived in Detroit for 4 years, so I believe I have the right to say....... I HATED IT. it thought the people (not all, but for the most part) were the rudest and most obnoxious people Ive ever met. The city is filthy, the homes are expensive for very little space, the winters are freezing and (mostly because the streets and cities are so old) the traffic is worse than TRex on I25. I thought californian drivers were bad......nope.......they dont touch a Michiganders driving. There is a lot of history there and some beautiful areas outside of Detroit. But unfortuantely, I had such a terrible experience there, it left a rather bad taste in my mouth. My mom, however loves it out there. So to each their own I guess.

I lived in Detroit for 4 years too, while I was in undergrad. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. There were aspects of it that I hated, sprawl and blight as far as the eye can see. There were some really good aspects of it as well, lots of cultural events, and some of the best restaurants I've ever been.

Having grown up on the west side of the state I have a little different perspective. Don't judge the whole state by what happens in Detroit. They do have bad drivers and a lot of people have bad attitudes but for the most part the state is full of very nice people. Come back and spend some time in the West side of the state. The scenery is beautiful and the people as a whole are a lot friendlier. We still have our share of bad drivers, but oh well.

I did have the interesting pleasure of moving from the City of Detroit to Savannah, GA when I went to grad school. Talk about going from one extreme to the other. A complete stranger would stop you on the street to have a 20 minute conversation, people can be almost over friendly if there is such a thing. I do miss Savannah, I'd move back in a minute if I had the chance.

I lived in Detroit for 4 years too, while I was in undergrad. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. There were aspects of it that I hated, sprawl and blight as far as the eye can see. There were some really good aspects of it as well, lots of cultural events, and some of the best restaurants I've ever been.

True.

I did have the interesting pleasure of moving from the City of Detroit to Savannah, GA when I went to grad school. Talk about going from one extreme to the other. A complete stranger would stop you on the street to have a 20 minute conversation, people can be almost over friendly if there is such a thing. I do miss Savannah, I'd move back in a minute if I had the chance.

When I was in Georgia for Tech School (Air Force) I went to Savannah. You are right. The people there are very friendly and the city as awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived