Job growth in the suburbs/exurbs

As the population of the DC metro area continues to explode in suburbs and exurbs, so does economic growth. An excerpt from the Washington Post article:

Over the past five years, the number of new jobs in the region's outer suburbs exceeded those created in the District and inner suburbs such as Fairfax and Montgomery counties. And with another highway slated to be built in Maryland, and military jobs being moved to the periphery, growth is expected to be even more broadly dispersed -- contradicting planners' "smart growth" visions of communities where people live, work and play without having to drive long distances.

I don't expect this to slow down anytime soon.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The long-term consequences for the area will not be good. I understand the reasoning behind the shifting of government/military jobs away from urban centers, but I think the end result will be massive and uncontrolled sprawl.

• 2 months later...

Archived