July 4th Celebrations in the South

monsoon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the "Thunder Over The Moutain" fireworks display, Birmingham itself doesn't have an organized Independence Day celebrations. However, UAB band does play on the Southside before the display. There are a few suburban cities that have their own celebrations like Homewood, Alabaster.

However, that may change when the Railroad Park opens.

Richmond International Raceway is having a Fourth of July carnival and celebration with fireworks this Tuesday. The Diamond, home of the Richmond Braves, is also having a fireworks celebration this Tuesday. Though i wont be going to either, the neighborhood will be putting on its own show :D

There won't be any fireworks(legally) in the New Orleans area, or all of SE Louisiana for that matter. It's very dry as we're in a severe drought right now, we're 20 inches below the average rainfall at this time of the year in metro New Orleans.

There won't be any fireworks(legally) in the New Orleans area, or all of SE Louisiana for that matter. It's very dry as we're in a severe drought right now, we're 20 inches below the average rainfall at this time of the year in metro New Orleans.

I wish they'd ban fireworks here this year. Not only were the neighbors annoying the heck out of me with their fireworks while I was trying to watch TV earlier, but I'm also afraid of them catching my yard on fire if they get too close. My older brother set my parents' entire yard on fire one July 4, so it's a big fear of mine when we're in a drought like right now.

Not to go :offtopic: but how often does Louisiana get droughts? Ive never heard of them getting one before. I know Florida gets them from time to time.

I don't know how often, but the entire state is in one now. We typically have dry summers, and most years our lakes and rivers get dangerously low during the Summer months. I believe the reason you hear so much about Florida's droughts is because of the amount of agriculture that is lost there each year.

Right now, like I said, all of Louisiana is experiencing a drought, with the southeast Louisiana area (Baton Rouge, New Orleans, etc) taking the worst of it. How odd... first New Orleans couldn't dry out fast enough after Katrina, and now it's TOO dry. Nature is something else, man!

I wish I could have seen Atlanta's 4th of July parade this year, but I was on a bus coming back home from Toronto. I saw a bit of Atlanta's fireworks show on the local stations here a few minutes ago and they looked pretty good.

Oddly enough though, I did catch a nice Canada Day celebration on the 1st of July.

I'm going to read up on some techniques for taking pictures of fireworks. Last year when I tried, the photos came out really bad.

All I do to get pics of fireworks is just put my camera on a tripod and then follow the fireworks with the camera. It's unprofessional probably, but it gets the job done. I'll have to post some of my fireworks pics sometime.

I just attended Greenville's 'Red, White, & Blue' festival in downtown, and it was simply incredible! Not only was it great to once again see people literally everywhere, but the quality of the festival was seriously second-to-none. All day, I had noticed people visiting from other states, which is not unusual, just more bus loads than normal. I have a couple photos from the Greenville Symphony Orchestra's free concert at the Peace Center Amphitheatre I'll try to post soon. :thumbsup:

I found a site with some good tips.

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...raph-fireworks/

I am going to try some Fireworks photographs this year too. Good luck!

Hey, great tutorial, thanks! :) The remote release switch it mentions is something I learned about tonight from a professional photographer. I just found one for my camera here and am planning on stopping into Best Buy tomorrow to pick one up. I got a bit of shake in my photos this time, but hopefully I won't have to worry about that from now on.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what your results were in the event you made it out this evening. If you want, you can view mine here on my Flickr page. Not the greatest, but I guess not too bad for my first try! :) The tripod was crooked, obviously, but at least the fireworks came out "okay."

The BellSouth Red, White, and Blue Festival in Greenville, South Carolina, USA:

The crowd along South Main Street:

182145436_ac961e5225_b.jpg

Early Arrivals take time to frolic in the Reedy River above the Upper Falls:

182145437_7b9941c527_b.jpg

The frolic from another angle:

182145425_98e8f6363f_b.jpg

The Wyche Pavilion all dudded up:

182159348_1907c19e6b_b.jpg

RiverPlace Balconies dressed in Red, White, and Blue:

182159358_a0a0580c1b_b.jpg

The Greenville Symphony Orchestra prepares to perform:

182159352_649244aed1_b.jpg

Festivalgoers prepare to Listen:

182159355_2b01093bc2_b.jpg

Meanwhile, back along the Reedy River near the Falls, Festivalgoers get ready for fireworks:

182168338_460da8a8fb_b.jpg

And at 9:45pm ET, they begin:

182168341_50e155a819_b.jpg

182175612_555a8548a6_b.jpg

182175618_4ab26b40af_b.jpg

182175622_f8460f1399_b.jpg

182175624_462c8d5063_b.jpg

182175627_e5bddf4426_b.jpg

And at just after 10:00pm ET, they ended:

182175630_645aa07936_b.jpg

182177425_7cf3d0e6fb_b.jpg

Hey, great tutorial, thanks! :) The remote release switch it mentions is something I learned about tonight from a professional photographer. I just found one for my camera here and am planning on stopping into Best Buy tomorrow to pick one up. I got a bit of shake in my photos this time, but hopefully I won't have to worry about that from now on.

A good work-around for this is to set the camera to timer-mode and then depress the shutter button...by the time it counts down to snap the photo, the vibration should have waned. :thumbsup:

A good work-around for this is to set the camera to timer-mode and then depress the shutter button...by the time it counts down to snap the photo, the vibration should have waned. :thumbsup:

I actually thought about that and mentioned it to my wife. I still haven't figured out timer mode, though. Besides, once he'd let me use his remote switch a couple of times, I was sold. :lol:

By the way, RT, great photos!! :D

I actually didn't make it to downtown Augusta in time to get to the riverwalk (traffic was too bad). So, along with about 500 other people we stood on top of the elevated Calhoun Expressway and watched the fireworks from there. All things said, I think my town did a pretty good job on the fireworks, although, I guess Augusta probably is the only town around where people actually just pull over on the side of an elevated freeway, sit on top of their cars and drink beer while watching fireworks.......

Rested Traveler, nice shots of Greenville---always an impressive town.

That foreground is actually the future extention of the riverwalk in front of phase II of RiverPlace. It was blocked off for the festival, but obviously a few people slipped beyond the barricade.

I could tell it was a construction site, but had no idea what was being built there. Thanks for filling me in. :)

The whole project looks awesome so far, as I've seen in numerous photos by different people on here. So many different angles, yet it looks immaculate from every single perspective.

Archived