July 4th Celebrations in the South

monsoon

I went to the celebration at The Landing in DT Jacksonville, FL. Most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen. It all seemed to be perfectly synchronized with the soundtrack playing over the loudspeakers. Favorites such as Whitney Houston's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner, Born in the USA by The Boss, and others were played the entire time. Fireworks were shot from the Main St. Bridge, the Acosta Bridge and the top of the Modis building. The downside of course was having to deal with 2 hr. wait times at the restaurants but the show afterwards made up for all of that.

74060330wa.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4th of July show in Knoxville was awesome...I went to a friend's place that was about 1/4 mile from where they were shooting off the fireworks. We all sat in lawn chairs in the middle of the street and watched the show. It was the most amazing show I have ever seen (although that's probably because I was quite a bit under the influence at that point)...

I just attended Greenville's 'Red, White, & Blue' festival in downtown, and it was simply incredible! Not only was it great to once again see people literally everywhere, but the quality of the festival was seriously second-to-none. All day, I had noticed people visiting from other states, which is not unusual, just more bus loads than normal. I have a couple photos from the Greenville Symphony Orchestra's free concert at the Peace Center Amphitheatre I'll try to post soon. :thumbsup:

Finally posting photos from my perspective:

Here is the view from our spot of grass at the Peace Center Amphitheatre in downtown Greenville. I had a hard time hearing after the concert was over. :lol:

Internationally acclaimed conductor Maestro Edvard Tchivzhel leads the GSO in its only rehearsal for the concert - less than an hour before it was to start! Keep in mind that there were probably less than half of the regular members playing and a bunch of extras filling in for this concert, so it came off very well considering no prior rehearsal.

GSO_4July2006_02.jpg

Maestro Tchivzhel leads the audience in singing our National Anthem.

GSO_4July2006_03.jpg

Later during the concert, the lights created quite an awesome effect on the performers.

GSO_4July2006_01c.jpg

BTW, did I mention how loud it was? :shok:

I went to the celebration at The Landing in DT Jacksonville, FL. Most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen. It all seemed to be perfectly synchronized with the soundtrack playing over the loudspeakers. Favorites such as Whitney Houston's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner, Born in the USA by The Boss, and others were played the entire time. Fireworks were shot from the Main St. Bridge, the Acosta Bridge and the top of the Modis building. The downside of course was having to deal with 2 hr. wait times at the restaurants but the show afterwards made up for all of that.

The bridge/Landing area provides such an awesome backdrop for a fireworks show. I saw pictures from the SuperBowl with fireworks, and all I could say was "Wow!"

Neat pics! One day I'll take pics of fireworks... but it seems like we don't have much to celebrate. The 4th is the only time there are displays here in Richmond (except this year some games along the river had some).

I remember when we used to have downtown fireworks for New Years Eve, but I don't think we had any for the 4th. And this year they had a commercial on tv promising the best show Richmond's ever seen, and the graphic had them going off over the skyline... WRONG! They were in the county at RIR. Our riverfront would be perfect. Maybe someday soon and I'll be posting some Independence Day fireworks from over the James.

How's Vicksburg celebrating these days?

Archived