Charleston's Post&Courier ridicules Rock Hill with snooty front page story

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart broke when it just seemed like he took the CofC deal out of the blue (which he really did), and I literally gasped when I found out he decided to stay at Winthrop. Marshall has too much of a good thing going with Winthrop to make a lateral move (from Big South to Southern Conference). If Marshall leaves Winthrop, it had better be for an SEC or ACC team. I know his name was thrown around when NCSU was looking for a men's basketball head coach.

Concerning the story, it's a shame that a city supposedly noted for its manners and gracefulness had to stoop to this level--or at least a writer for that city's paper. Those were some pretty low blows. Even Charlotte was managed to get drawn into the fray: "Finally, there also is the possibility that Marshall could not stand to leave the orbit of nearby Charlotte (motto: We are NOT generic), a virtually mesmerizing town of tall buildings best known for its bountiful roads to Winston-Salem." Sad. I say, take your loss with a bit of dignity.

The story's tone was a tad catty :shades: How bountiful is the road to Winston Salem? I think their swipe at Charlotte was pretty funny though. Maybe that should be our motto: "we are not generic" :lol: Sort of a self deprecating acknowledgement of our newness... :P

"Finally, there also is the possibility that Marshall could not stand to leave the orbit of nearby Charlotte (motto: We are NOT generic), a virtually mesmerizing town of tall buildings best known for its bountiful roads to Winston-Salem."

How about, best known as the city that overtook Charleston to become the Carolinas' most recognized and influential city. :whistling:

^Right. And that's the problem: sometimes Charlestonians think we still live in the 18th and 19th centuries, when Charleston was the center of Southern wealth and culture.

Furthermore, it wasn't so much about Marshall picking Rock Hill over Charleston as it was picking Winthrop over CofC. Come on, Charleston, handle this with some dignity for crying out loud. I can't believe this crap made the front page. I'll definitely be writing a letter to the editor on this one.

I am not really surprised that the P&C ran it as a front page story. The Post&Courier has been owned and controlled by Manigaults since at least the 1800s. Their editorial page is usually reactionary and dismissive and it sometimes bleeds into the news side :rolleyes: They would have had a valid story if the focus had soley concentrated on the Winthrop and Cofc teams and the reasons behind Marshall's choice. Instead someone at the P&C was pissed about how the deal turned out and went for a hatchet job on Winthrop's hometown. Charlestonians are very nice to tourists on the surface but the town has a major attitude and snobbishness stemming from its aristocratic beginnings and its never going to go away.

I love Charleston, happen to be down here at the moment on my sister's computer, but there is definitely a snobbyness to this town. The way I like to sum it up is the fact that they have a huge roach infestation, but they don't call them roaches down here, they are 'palmetto bugs'. Biggest frickin' roaches I have ever seen.

^I too love Charleston, but one of the first things that comes to mind when I think about that town is the rancid roach problem. A nightly stroll down any sidewalk invariably leads to a Laverne & Shirley-style two step (schlameel, schlamozel, Hossenfeffer Incorporated!). It's the only way to keep from gumming up the soles of your shoes... Yecch.

Ehhh. The Rock Hill retort was fairly weak but I did like this quip.

I remind my colleagues from the Fourth Estate that the last time their city launched an unprovoked attack, it touched off a war that lasted four years, caused millions of deaths and plunged the South into crippling poverty for a century.

Archived