Mark Clark Expressway gets state funding

vicupstate

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charleston's Son, welcome to the UP and thank you for providing some common sense into this issue! Many natives in West Ashley see this as necessary for the entire region, and again, islanders see their little world as the only important concern. The article that krazee gave us gives a good description of "the chicken or the egg" theory...does growth occur first or would the expressway produce growth?

I think that growth is occurring on Johns Island regardless. New houses and businesses are being built in this region at a steady pace, without any additional infrastructure. Current roads on the island are not even being widened, putting more strain on traffic flow. Maybank Hwy and Main Road are good examples of roads that definitely need to be widened here.

Will the Mark Clark increase the rate of growth? Most likely, but if planned correctly under current zoning laws and land protection by the city, I-526 and other roads in Johns Island could be improved to prepare for the growth. Again, keep in mind that the growth on the island will be limited also by the mere fact that there will only be one interchange on the island at Maybank. Mt. P and West Ashley have multiple interchanges, and multiple points of access on I-526 are the real reasons why development is exploding in those areas.

Charleston's Son, welcome to the UP and thank you for providing some common sense into this issue! Many natives in West Ashley see this as necessary for the entire region, and again, islanders see their little world as the only important concern. The article that krazee gave us gives a good description of "the chicken or the egg" theory...does growth occur first or would the expressway produce growth?

I think that growth is occurring on Johns Island regardless. New houses and businesses are being built in this region at a steady pace, without any additional infrastructure. Current roads on the island are not even being widened, putting more strain on traffic flow. Maybank Hwy and Main Road are good examples of roads that definitely need to be widened here.

Will the Mark Clark increase the rate of growth? Most likely, but if planned correctly under current zoning laws and land protection by the city, I-526 and other roads in Johns Island could be improved to prepare for the growth. Again, keep in mind that the growth on the island will be limited also by the mere fact that there will only be one interchange on the island at Maybank. Mt. P and West Ashley have multiple interchanges, and multiple points of access on I-526 are the real reasons why development is exploding in those areas.

I think the answer to that is because the purpose of them building it IS for the Johns and James Island interchanges. If there were no interchanges on those islands that would mean they'd be building the lower half of the 526 circle and connecting West Ashley to Mount Pleasant. That would be kinda cool but I dont think thats what theyre doing.

I think the answer to that is because the purpose of them building it IS for the Johns and James Island interchanges. If there were no interchanges on those islands that would mean they'd be building the lower half of the 526 circle and connecting West Ashley to Mount Pleasant. That would be kinda cool but I dont think thats what theyre doing.

I got this from the website of the Johns Islanders who oppose the extension....

In July of 2006, a group of concerned citizens on Johns Island began a bi-monthly meeting to discuss issues related to Johns Island. At the top of the list was the Mark Clark extension, and the neccesity of improving the existing infrastructure on the Island. Now officially called The Concerned Citizens of the Sea Islands, we are advocating for transportation improvements to Johns Island's exsiting roadways before the Mark Extension is built to the Island.

In December of 2005, Charleston County Council decided to make the Mark Clark extension to Johns Island South Carolina's top priority. And in June, 2006, despite a lack of sufficient data, the State Transportation Infrastructure Bank (STIB) awarded a $99 million grant to Charleston County and pledged that any other money coming into the STIB would be allocated to fund the extension at a total of $420 million.

No South Carolina road project will be funded by the STIB until Charleston County receives $420 million for the extension of I-526. And due to the SC Department of Transportation (SC DOT) budget deficit, the STIB is the only viable statewide road funding source.

Traffic models have proven that the Mark Clark is not the best fix for this region's transportation problems. We have identified the four major traffic problems West of the Ashley using Berkeley Charleston Dorchester Council of Government traffic models. The four biggest traffic problems (2003) West of the Ashley are:

1. Hwy 17 inside the Mark Clark

2. Hwy 17 and Main Road

3. Maybank Highway and River Road

4. Hwy 61 and Bees Ferry Road

When the Mark Clark, and the eight CHATs exisiting and committed road projects are factored into the model, the only improvement West of the Ashley by the year 2030 is a small portion of Main Road, while the remaining sections of Hwy 17 fail, as does the existing Mark Clark extension. Because our own government's traffic model shows that the Mark Clark WILL NOT improve traffic in West Ashley, James Island or Johns Island, we believe that there are more effective solutions to our traffic problems, as well as more responsible uses of our taxpayer dollars.

Please help us urge our politicians to SAY NO to the extension of I-526 to Johns Island, and FIX OUR ROADS FIRST!

^what that bit of propoganda fails to mention is the projected increase in traffic/population that occurs by 2030. That growth will occur anyway, so how would those roads grade out without the expressway. The city of Charleston already has plans for an "urban village" on Myabank Highway from River Rd to Main, with relatively dense development. The areas outside of this zone are typically beyond the urban growth boundary. So I don't see any explosion in development that hasn't already been planned for. But realistically, Johns Island is the next logical place for growth. Barring traffic, they are a few short minutes from downtown. Where would suggest the area grow? Jedburg, Ravenel, or McClellanville? The core areas of Charleston and North Charleston are already rather densely developed.

Thanks Chas. Native for the warm welcome. I just sort of stumbled upon urbanplanet, and I've been hooked ever since. I think there is general consensus that we need to get ourselves together on this end of I-26. Charleston is growing so rapidly and it just seems most logical for our infrastructure to do its best to keep pace; which includes building new roads and expanding existing ones. I wonder if we are in the minority with this issue? I work West Ashley and most locals there seem to be in favor of it.

• 2 weeks later...

^haha, UP has a way of doing that ;)

My general response to this anti526 movement is this. Sprawl will happen either way. Traffic problems will happen either way. But which wil provide the better solution? In the long run the answer is to make more road connections where possible. This is a key connection that will link downtown to the west nad provide an alternate connection to James and John's Islands.

I'm open to suggestions. The only alternative solution that would work is some sort of public transit, but people don't seem willing to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Chas. Native for the warm welcome. I just sort of stumbled upon urbanplanet, and I've been hooked ever since. I think there is general consensus that we need to get ourselves together on this end of I-26. Charleston is growing so rapidly and it just seems most logical for our infrastructure to do its best to keep pace; which includes building new roads and expanding existing ones. I wonder if we are in the minority with this issue? I work West Ashley and most locals there seem to be in favor of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Rep. Harrell also sees finishing I-526 as a priority. In the Chas Business Journal link below, a statehouse plan to bring sweeping change to the SCDOT would reduce massive waste, create a cabinet-level post for the Secretary of Transportation, and put such local projects as the completion of I-526 on the fast track, according to Harrell. It seems that the only government entity that opposes finishing the highway is the BCDCOG with a completely biased and flawed study. Meanwhile, the city of Chas, county of Chas, and the state approve it. :unsure:

Harrell: DOT changes will put I-526 on fast track

• 2 weeks later...

See, the first statement here is an example of how many "status quo" or NIMBY Chas residents use extremist language in response to any new road or project. "Destroy the rural landscape"? Technically, Johns Island really isn't supposed to be rural considering its proximity to the city, as knightrider pointed out earlier. Developers are already building homes in that section of Chas, whether it be full-fledged neighborhoods or one house at a time. The island is being developed, but at a slower pace. Finishing the Mark Clark will probably quicken this pace, but remember, the city of Chas as well as the county have established zoning ordinances preventing mass development of the island. If anything, the Mark Clark will help commuters from Johns Island to DT, West Ashley, and the north area.

Chas Native, your religious pursuit of unbridled growth seems reckless at best. I am glad many officials who think that way lost re-election in November. You call me a NIMBY but I was born and raised in West Ashley and have never lived in Johns Island. So no, it's not my backyard that I am worrying about. Secondly, a few key reasons why Johns Island has become developed so rapidly in recent years is because of the expectation of the 526 extension as well as low land prices and taxes. The reason why I am opposed to the extension is because the type of growth that will spring up after the extension will be your typical cul de sac suburb with virtually no mixed use or pedestrian friendly gathering places. As a city planner for a local municipality myself (which I will not name) I think I know a thing or two about urban growth patterns. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind seeing 526 being lengthened if and only if proposed development emphasized new urbanist principles in place of suburban, minimal lot size trash. The extension itself could be useful in helping traffic but what comes along with it is what I am worried about. I feel it is too late though and the plans will go forward from what I have been hearing around the department. Bottom Line: Show me some concrete evidence of sustainable development and I will support the 526 extension 100%

P.S. I do like your ideas for taller buildings for neck area and North Chas. mentioned on other post though :thumbsup: Have a good day!

See, the first statement here is an example of how many "status quo" or NIMBY Chas residents use extremist language in response to any new road or project. "Destroy the rural landscape"? Technically, Johns Island really isn't supposed to be rural considering its proximity to the city, as knightrider pointed out earlier. Developers are already building homes in that section of Chas, whether it be full-fledged neighborhoods or one house at a time. The island is being developed, but at a slower pace. Finishing the Mark Clark will probably quicken this pace, but remember, the city of Chas as well as the county have established zoning ordinances preventing mass development of the island. If anything, the Mark Clark will help commuters from Johns Island to DT, West Ashley, and the north area.

Chas Native, your religious pursuit of unbridled growth seems reckless at best. I am glad many officials who think that way lost re-election in November. You call me a NIMBY but I was born and raised in West Ashley and have never lived in Johns Island. So no, it's not my backyard that I am worrying about. Secondly, a few key reasons why Johns Island has become developed so rapidly in recent years is because of the expectation of the 526 extension as well as low land prices and taxes. The reason why I am opposed to the extension is because the type of growth that will spring up after the extension will be your typical cul de sac suburb with virtually no mixed use or pedestrian friendly gathering places. As a city planner for a local municipality myself (which I will not name) I think I know a thing or two about urban growth patterns. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind seeing 526 being lengthened if and only if proposed development emphasized new urbanist principles in place of suburban, minimal lot size trash. The extension itself could be useful in helping traffic but what comes along with it is what I am worried about. I feel it is too late though and the plans will go forward from what I have been hearing around the department. Bottom Line: Show me some concrete evidence of sustainable development and I will support the 526 extension 100%

P.S. I do like your ideas for taller buildings for neck area and North Chas. mentioned on other post though :thumbsup: Have a good day!

pompus, show me some evidence that people on Johns Island would accept any development, regardless of what form it takes. Those people seem to be anti-change from my perspective, even if its for better types of development. I think that the only way to truely stop growth is to make use of that urban growth boundary and actually enforce the thing. I know that southern Charleston County does not want any part of the growth that is spreading its direction. So long as the new urbanist developments don't turn out like I'On I'm ok with it.

Yeah they had a week of charettes on Johns Island last week to figure out what should be done. Not sure what came of it. Anyone know anything about it?

• 2 weeks later...
Chas Native, your religious pursuit of unbridled growth seems reckless at best...You call me a NIMBY but I was born and raised in West Ashley and have never lived in Johns Island. So no, it's not my backyard that I am worrying about. Secondly, a few key reasons why Johns Island has become developed so rapidly in recent years is because of the expectation of the 526 extension as well as low land prices and taxes. The reason why I am opposed to the extension is because the type of growth that will spring up after the extension will be your typical cul de sac suburb with virtually no mixed use or pedestrian friendly gathering places...HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind seeing 526 being lengthened if and only if proposed development emphasized new urbanist principles in place of suburban, minimal lot size trash. The extension itself could be useful in helping traffic but what comes along with it is what I am worried about. I feel it is too late though and the plans will go forward from what I have been hearing around the department. Bottom Line: Show me some concrete evidence of sustainable development and I will support the 526 extension 100%

• 9 months later...

A team of transportation engineers hired to find alternatives to the proposed Mark Clark Expressway extension say that A network of smaller roads is the cure for traffic congestion in West Ashley, James Island, and Johns Island. Wide roads, such as the Interstate 526 extension, bring more traffic, one of the engineers said. Extending the expressway would further bottleneck traffic at both ends of Johns Island and would dump too many cars onto Calhoun Street.

Archived