Seattle Mayor says he will recognize Gay Marriage

monsoon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

There Mayor's are great humans IMO. They have taken on the biggest issue for some of us in our lifetime and some the second most important. They are doing one of the single greatest things in US history. These are great people and should be honored for there courage. The African Americans had the Civil Rights in the 60's the Gay Americans we have the 00's.

• 2 years later...

From what the news mentioned on this a few months ago, the mayor will abide by Washigton State Law which currently says marriage is between a man and a woman. This, however, was proved unconstitutional by our State Law. This issue is up in lingo in the State Supreme Courts right now with a decision expected by the end of this year or beginning of next year. Basically, mayor Nickels will acknowledge licenses given in Europe, Canada, and Massachusetts (the major places the issue this licenses). What that means is if someone is hired by the city, the city will recognize their marriage and provide benefits for them. Its a good start for equal rights for unvisible minorities (not based on race/ethnicity). Im confident our State will rule in favor of supporting Same-Sex Marriage, being as how we are generally a liberal state that believes in equal rights. We do have an equal rights law for Gays/Lesbians/Transgendered people. That was passed in January. YAY!!! :-) If only we would grow up as a society like Europe did/doing.

The idea of redefining marriage isn't a popular issue and just divides us Americans. T he argument against gay marriage is simple, it is freaking impossible, unless we redefine the whole concept and institution. What is the point anyway, to live a lie? It is calling a dog a cat and it is nothing more than an attempt to divide us Americans. If this issue was really about fairness, there would be a domestic partnership movement, for all couples, not this religious redefinition campaign so Ken and Ken can try to rationalize that their relationship is the same as two people who can unite their DNA and create human life.

Sundodger, I don't think this issue has anything to do with redefining religion. It is about domestic partner rights. It is unfortunate that the government dictates marriage since it is a religious institution. Marriage is a word. While i'm sure there are some homosexuals out there who want to have a religious marriage. It's just a legal term in this arguement. Noone is sueing a church over this. It's between the homosexuals, and what THEY want from the government. Where do you get that anyone is trying to redefine religion?

The whole issue is about gay marriage, not domestic partner rights for cohabitating adults equal to that of married couples. Any other union other than one man and one woman is not a marriage. The term marriage describes a specific term and institution, it is more than a mere word. Also it is not a religious institution but a natural human institution where there is a meeting of family DNA lines and the start of a new line created with each mate's DNA. It is also an institution designed to keep the genetic father and mother together with children. So the whole entire issue about gay marriage isn't about fairness, it is about redefining the issue of marriage. This is a big deal and I refuse to let the religious wackos change the defintion of marriage. If the issue is fairness, I will join their cause, but it is not. I wish the issue was really about the equal treatment of cohabitating adults, but it is not.

That's enough for me on this topic. It is off topic and divisive. I'd rather talk about urban development and redevelopment.

Sundodger...how many times did you grunt during that bigoted rant?

There was nothing bigoted about the above. Serious, be an adult and drop the childish insults.

Nickels is a good mayor. This and his leadership on the Kyoto Protocol are examples of that.

Nickles is a mediocre mayor, the Kyoto Protocol is an abhorent waste of time, money, and resoucrces and is part of the proof that Nickles is a mediocre mayor.

Fact is, gays deserve just as many rights as straights. Theyre people just like you and I. You wouldnt like someone creating rules that exclude you from your rights as a human. This whole topic paralells the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. The only difference is that these people are un-visible minorities. They are seen immediately like African-Americans were. It was a hell of a lot easier to discriminate against them during that period. We made laws to fix that problem (Im not saying that there isnt anymore racism). Sundodger, save the ignorance for elsewhere... Move to Wyoming if you wanna act this ignorant. And dont insult other people's comments. If anyone's acting childish, its you! Grow-up and say hello to the 21st century in Seattle. We are tolerant. Get on our level!

What about equal rights? Well non-married, non gay life couples are also treated differently by the govt. Why should we just forward the rights of just one group? Shouldn't everyone be equal?

What is the point of totally redefining marriage? What is the exact purpose really?

You too need to drop the issults and it wasn't me making the insult, it was Inkdaub. He or she doesn't have a substantive argument either and had to resort to calling me a neanderthal and biggot. Also, me ignorant? No, I clearly understand this issue. Seek a library, learn some history, learn some biology. If you want to debate substance, then fine, but chucking out insults just proves that you have no argument.

I am for equal rights for all people. If the fight was for equal rights for all, count me in. Why should we treat some groups of people different than others? Why redefine marriage? If this issue gets back to equal rights, it will prevail. As long as the movement to redefine marriage exists, this movement will fail, which is sad for all the cohabitating couples out there not treated equally by the govt. in their chosen lifestyle.

I'm giving a caveat on this, choose your words carefully.

You are more than welcome to disagree with a persons point of view. Sundodger may have an unpopular opinion on this subject. But he has been professional in his responses. Be sure that everyone is so curteous in debate.

Interesting conversation here, SunD has some very good points and I appreciate us trying to keep this a discussion about issues and not personal. The debate wether one side thinks it is bigoted or the other side feeling a sacred institution is under fire is something that has many facets throughout this country. To simply have differences of opinion on this board is to be expected, I'd be afraid if everyone was in lockstep on one side of it.

I know there was some discussion of the general issue on the coffeehouse forum so my views are pretty public on it, what interests me about the Seattle mayor though is that he has taken what seems like an untenable position he is neither pro or anti gay marriage but simply won't have Washington law trump that of another state. Interesting take on it, of course this is a way to begin the process of accepting gay marriage as legal in Seattle, progressive to be sure.

I do think that one can be 100% tolerant and 100% against gay marriage. Doesn't mean you hate gays or anyone else, so let's tune down the bigot references. Especially considering that a homosexual supreme ct. judge in Massachuettes voted against allowing gay marriage. Intelligent people will disagree on this issue for years to come.

WOW! I live in the Puget Sound area and have never heard of this! What fantastic news!

One thing for people that do not live in this area to remember is that Nickels is simply representing the will of the people of Seattle. Gays from elsewhere would be surprised how the concept of fairness has taken root here. Homophobia seems so rare here, as to be essentially nonexistent.

When Nickels takes a stand for marriage equality, he is representing his city and constituents perfectly:)

Also for outsiders to remember is that the overwhelming majority of the Seattle City Council is all about fairness and marriage equality as well.

Archived