Anybody here ever see this?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great video. A couple of interesting finds. One, there apparently was a Mobil station right by the now Children's Museum (actually it looks like in the church parking lot next to Veteran's Park):

181261361_5ae2c9756d.jpg

And in answer to Chris Knape's question on his blog about old downtown vintage photos, yes there was a Pontiac sign next to the old Grand Rapids Herald building, mentioned HERE

181261362_febade27a1.jpg

BTW: Chris Knape's BLOG is getting better and better. He even has a better picture of 126 Ottawa civitas. ;)

Where was the Herald building? What is in its location now?

Do you know when it was taken down?

Wow, i can't imagine a car dealership downtown. I remember an Oldsmobile dealership on South Division, roughly south of Wealthy back in the 70s-80s.

Anyone remember the name of the Olds dealer?

Wow, i can't imagine a car dealership downtown. I remember an Oldsmobile dealership on South Division, roughly south of Wealthy back in the 70s-80s.

Was it Mulvahill?

Don't forget C. Bell Chevrolet that was in the tall building located behind Uptown Cleaners almost on the corner of Wealthy and Division. I think the most recent use of the building was a Goodwill storage facility.

C. Bell moved to the corner of Alpine and 4 Mile where the Michaels is now.

The Herald Bldg was on the lot behind (East of) the JA Bldg at Division and Fulton. If you look at the picture at this LINK, you can see it at the end of Monroe Center.

355 Sheldon?

1098368_Main_Photo_Grand_Rapids_355_Sheldon.jpg

[image via signature associates]

Yessir, that's the one. When I was in high school I worked for an auto parts store and it was Jobbers Warehouse, the local Parts Plus warehouse. I was in and out of that building at least 4 times a day.

They moved out of that building in '93 or '94 and moved over to the old UPS facility on Roger B.

Yessir, that's the one. When I was in high school I worked for an auto parts store and it was Jobbers Warehouse, the local Parts Plus warehouse. I was in and out of that building at least 4 times a day.

They moved out of that building in '93 or '94 and moved over to the old UPS facility on Roger B.

Goodwill is still in there, as is ACCESS, the agency which coordinates the food panties in Kent County. I thought I'd heard the Catholic Diocese offices will eventually go in there?

Goodwill is still in there, as is ACCESS, the agency which coordinates the food panties in Kent County. I thought I'd heard the Catholic Diocese offices will eventually go in there?

"food panties" now edible! :lol:

I know what ya mean.

I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh

Hopefully if/when the Diocese offices move in, they will fix up the appearance some... the multitude of closed up windows all along the bottom floor is saddening.

bah, Rizzo beat me to it =p

It is interesting watching that video. It makes me realize that although Fulton & Division WERE the epicenter of Grand Rapids up to the 60's, that epicenter has undoubtedly moved Northwest to Pearl and Monroe. Or at least, it FEELS that way. It's probably due to two of the corners at Fulton/Division being left completely abandoned, the third being a now obsolete department store turned police HQ, and the fourth corner being a not-so-well-kept park with the abandoned Kendall Bldg.

Bizarre...

It is interesting watching that video. It makes me realize that although Fulton & Division WERE the epicenter of Grand Rapids up to the 60's, that epicenter has undoubtedly moved Northwest to Pearl and Monroe. Or at least, it FEELS that way. It's probably due to two of the corners at Fulton/Division being left completely abandoned, the third being a now obsolete department store turned police HQ, and the fourth corner being a not-so-well-kept park with the abandoned Kendall Bldg.

Bizarre...

I wonder if that timeline coincides with Herpolsheimers and Wurzburgs closing in the late 60's to early 70's and the Amway Grand Plaza being completed in 1981 and traffic patterns changed on Monroe after that.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived