Regional Cooperation

kayman

According to today's Birmingham News, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, and Mountain Brook may be embarking on a regional jail. In addition to this the municpal courts of the 3 cities may also be combined as well. I'm hoping and praying this will work and this will the first step of the metro to have some regional cooperation. :yahoo:

Oh yeah, here's the story:

Cities take key steps to regional jail

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. There seems to be an increasing effort to bring about more regional cooperation and hopefully this trend will continue. Also will be good if this can spill into other areas of the city as well as other aspects of society. I hope this is successful and can be implemented elsewhere. Maybe people will finally begin to see the advantages in regional cooperation rather than factionalism. Maybe we can at least create regional areas of cooperation (ie, a souther region, a northern region, an eastern region, and a western region. That's still 4 separate regions, but alot better chance of bringing 4 regions together than bringing together 30+ individual municipalities.

I agree. There seems to be an increasing effort to bring about more regional cooperation and hopefully this trend will continue. Also will be good if this can spill into other areas of the city as well as other aspects of society. I hope this is successful and can be implemented elsewhere. Maybe people will finally begin to see the advantages in regional cooperation rather than factionalism. Maybe we can at least create regional areas of cooperation (ie, a souther region, a northern region, an eastern region, and a western region. That's still 4 separate regions, but alot better chance of bringing 4 regions together than bringing together 30+ individual municipalities.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. The area cities create 4 networks of regional cooperation around the metro. It would be 3 times proactive. Now hopefully the transit advisory board that was recently created would be even more productive.

• 3 weeks later...

They're still lacking the Birmingham part of the region.

They're still lacking the Birmingham part of the region.

Honestly, the reason why nobody wants to deal with Birmingham is because of Bernard Kincaid's selfish, timid, paranoid a**. He always derail regional projects because he wants the city to control everything. I'm like, "Reality check! Birmingham is not the majority of the region's population anymore!" The City Council doesn't help that equation either especially with Willam Bell back on the council. :rolleyes: I am praying that Larry Langford runs for Birmingham mayor next year.

Honestly, the reason why nobody wants to deal with Birmingham is because of Bernard Kincaid's selfish, timid, paranoid a**. He always derail regional projects because he wants the city to control everything. I'm like, "Reality check! Birmingham is not the majority of the region's population anymore!" The City Council doesn't help that equation either especially with Willam Bell back on the council. :rolleyes: I am praying that Larry Langford runs for Birmingham mayor next year.

Well, since I don't currently live in Birmingham, it doesn't affect me too much. But I'd really like to see Birmingham have a mayor that isn't afraid to risk something in order to get more developement, that's what other cities in the south have that we don't.

I don't know how you feel about this subject, but personally, I'd like to see the dome. It'd attract more bussiness and revenue, but unfortunately people still oppose it.

Well, since I don't currently live in Birmingham, it doesn't affect me too much. But I'd really like to see Birmingham have a mayor that isn't afraid to risk something in order to get more developement, that's what other cities in the south have that we don't.

I don't know how you feel about this subject, but personally, I'd like to see the dome. It'd attract more bussiness and revenue, but unfortunately people still oppose it.

Well Bernard Kincaid is most definitely not the candidate for that job, but Larry Langford is that type of person. Kincaid is only good for one thing and that is teaching political science courses not being a politician.

I would like to see a dome convention and exhibition center in the future, but not now. See http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26706 if you want to know how I feel and what they should do with the BJCC.

I agree with you Leonard. Birmingham definitely needs a mayor that isn't afraid to make moves and is willing to buy into regional cooperation, with Larry Langford being my first choice. Imagine what would happen when Birmingham leaves behind its 1970's mentality and join in and cooperate with its ajoining suburbs and cities, and create one hick of a region, not just for Birmingham, but with the region in mind!!

I agree that an improvement of the civic center with a larger arena, more hotel rooms, entertainment options, etc... along with regional transportation to and from the outer communites . I believe that something special is just waiting for the Birmingham area, but someone must put the first step foward and go for it and seek improvement!!! ;)

With the rising cost of the proposed dome, I think B'ham should go after a multipurpose retractable-roof facility at some point. But the larger BJCC arena right now is nearly a must in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Just to update this topic, Irondale has decided to join the other 3 cities in the creation of a regional jail. The site originally considered was an area in the Oxmoor Valley in incorporated Jeffco, but that was thrown out immediately upon the realization of the fact it was going to be in the middle of a residential area. Now the sites being considered are around the City of Irondale.

Archived