Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Charlotte Heritage Trolley System and Trolley Barn/Museum

148 posts in this topic

Very cool stuff. I'm a big fan of trolley's (real ones) returning to city cores. It adds great character to the city, provides alternatives to driving a car (without expensive or large full LRT or HRT systems). It really allows transit to get down to the block level and get people to where they want to go. Plus, some of the nicer restored cars I've seen carry all of the original character with some modern advantages.

Rock on Charlotte for making this wise choice. Dallas has one as well, among other cities in the region. I wish Atlanta would get on the ball with something like this.

Cool. I like historic trolley's in downtowns.

Detroit restored part of it's trolley system in 1976, but today very few ppl ride it & only one car is currently running, although several of the old cars were recently shipped to Seattle for restoriation....hopefully that means they're planning on more new improvments & an extension or something.

I was in Charlotte yesterday and I noticed the Trolley... it did have the overhead catenary cable inplace... but I crossed it on the nothern end of the city around 5th St.

Is this just a transit system for areas within Uptown?

Nice pics, Marc. The trolley looks like it's going to be a great addition to uptown Charlotte!

Will there only be one trolly running downtown? Is there any talk about schedules, etc?

I'm assuming there will be multiple trolleys. When Detroit had its short trolley system (it was only 1 mile long) they had several trolley cars, although there were only a few operating at any given time.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Larry! :)

I think the other cars they are restoring will be used mainly for show and brought out on the tracks during special occasions.

Once they get the new trollys in this summer, then the schedule will exapand and start at 7am.

Correction monsoon, it begins next Monday, June 28th. ;)

Wow, I missed this thread. How long is this trolley line? Will this be a part of the future light rail system?

monsoon, these shots are fantastic. The last one, especially, is outstanding!!!