Westgate developement (Glendale)

MJLO

Ok so being that I was in Glendale I had heard about the Westgate City Center But had never really paid much attention to it. Is this the largest developement going on in AZ? It's very interesting. It's almost like they are trying to bring Character to an otherwise, characterless suburb with one fell swoop. What do you guys know, you guys know everything. Ellman Companies are the principle developers. Development design group out of Baltimore are the architects. Tons of stuff in the republic on it. It seems that it's been kind an uphill battle for the developers. If I recall the guys who started the project were co-owners of the coyotes. I believe that in April of this year they parted ways. I'm not fully sure on it. I have to say the plans for this thing are very impressive. To be in an atmostphere like that would be outstanding. I have my reservations about this kind of development money being spent outside of the city center, with the city center in need of private development so much. Nevertheless with the scope and potential impact this project has, it's very worthy of it's own thread. Can someone educate me?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that they had built a Cabela's there.

I'm not a hunter in any way, but I used to work for a hunting org and know them quite well. I thought that they only built in relatively rural areas accessible by interstate highway though.

Yeah, Cabelas is a major tourist draw though. From what I understand it's more than just hunting. The store isn't officially open yet, but i'm sure it will bring just as much traffic and development that a normal cabelas does. Couple that with Westgate, and that thing across the street. I think, although I'm not sure, that more capital investment is going into Glendale right now, than any other place in AZ.

anyway here's a drive by shot of Cabela's

184141473_c6609573b3.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories...03/daily31.html

Cardinals Stadium slated for 2009 March Madness action

The Business Journal of Phoenix - 2:36 PM MST Thursday by Diane ArthurThe Business Journal

A big-time money event is coming to the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale, state officials are saying, as a bit of March Madness is headed this way.

The Business Journal has learned that in March 2009 the new stadium will host the NCAA Men's College Basketball Regional Tournament.

"We like to believe that it is a precursor to hosting a men's Final Four in 2012," Ted Ferris, president and chief executive of the Arizona Sports Authority told the Phoenix Business Journal Wednesday. "That's the first year that's available, as the NCAA has awarded the Men's Final Four all the way out to 2011."

In terms of hotel stays, "this is very similar to a Super Bowl, where they (teams) put in a four night minimum on a hotel stay at hotels designated for teams and alumni," added Ferris.

Four teams will come here for the event and their fans will need to book hotel rooms too.

And starting in 2009, the NCAA will go to a center-field configuration. "Instead of pushing the court to one end of the stadium, where you seat 40,000 to 50,000 people, this will place the court in the middle of the stadium with floor chairs around it and with the permanent seats in the stadium, you're able to sit up to 80,000 people," said Ferris.

Ferris said this event could carry a Super Bowl-level economic impact of $300 million to $400 million.

Also, US Airways Center in Phoenix will host the NCAA Men's College Basketball Regionals on March 27-29, 2008.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived