Downtown Columbia Pictures (caution large files)

JFER1980

Ok, Sorry this has taken so long, but I've been incredibly busy this week. I'm posting some more of my pictures of Columbia. This set is historic buildings. I have posted a few of Columbia's historic buildings in the downtown area. Enjoy!

ed474333.jpg

f542f036.jpg

ColumbiaStateHouse021.jpg

The State House- Construction began in 1855 and never actually was completed until around 1900. The original plans for the State House were destroyed when Sherman burned Columbia, so today's State House is very different than originally planned.

07a6c25d.jpg

The Town Theatre-Built in 1924, the Town theatre is the longest continuous running theatre in the United States.

3e0e6c26.jpg

1619 Sumter street

3facf058.jpg

f3d04f7e.jpg

c0638a6f.jpg

Sylvan's Jewelers at Main and Hampton Streets

5e0dcb8a.jpg

Tapps Department store on Main Street. This picture was taken from the rear on Sumter street

72827eb5.jpg

6b9333df.jpg

The Ebenezer Lutheran Church (Chapel)- This building was constructed in 1870 after the original structure was heavily damaged when Columbia was burned by Sherman. The building was rededicated in 1993 as the Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel. The latest building stands next door on the corner.

a16138c8.jpg

Columbia's First Baptist Church-This building was home to the Secession Convention. After moving to Charleston because of a disease outbreak in the Columbia area, the convention decided to withdraw from the Union.

5bea2044.jpg

Mutual and Provident Assoc building-Notice the Free Masons sign at the top of the building.

d8c5bd40.jpg

600dae1d.jpg

Columbia First Presbyterian Church-At one time this church was the tallest structure in Columbia, and became target practive for the Union Troops before crossing the Congaree river when Sherman burned the city. The church was never hit and survived the fire with little damage.

Picture119.jpg

Columbia Trinity church-Across the street from the State House this church is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It was built in 1812.

e6a5a6bd.jpg

The Big Apple-Originally built as a Jewish synagogue this building later became a very popular dance hall. It's located directly behind the Richland County Public Library.

e29794b4.jpg

The Luther Lee building-Lady and Lincoln streets

Gervaisbridge3.jpg

The Gervais Street bridge

That's all for now but I will post some more soon.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived