More downtown condominiums

SOCOM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard the news...

Opening date set for summer of 2008. :)

Let's hope they can somehow improve the exterior.

photo_777main.jpg

Photo credits Grunberg Realty

thats craaaaaaaazy. yea im guessin they would change the outside to look more residential of some sort. Whos behind this? this should definately increase foot traffic in the center of the city. I would wanna live there. So if thats all getting converted to residential....then where are all the offices moving to?

There's no shortage of where those offices could be moved to. Maybe the timing of this will work out well with a renovation of the Stilts building, and those offices could relocate there. This could really help bring the vacancy rate of office space down if those workers are relocated elsewhere in downtown.

That exterior is a classic. A perfect example of mid 20th century high rise architecture. It would be a crime to change it.

It's amazing how folks in Hartford unvalue anything historic.

I agree. This is actually one of my favorite Hartford Skyscrapers.

Wait here hold on...all the office space is being vacated???? Doesn't Bank of America occupy office space in there??? We need to make sure we do not lose these tenants to the suburbs....we need to make sure they actually go and fill vacant office space elsewhere in the CBD. If that happens then I will be perfectly content with the new BOA residential building.

Wait here hold on...all the office space is being vacated???? Doesn't Bank of America occupy office space in there??? We need to make sure we do not lose these tenants to the suburbs....we need to make sure they actually go and fill vacant office space elsewhere in the CBD. If that happens then I will be perfectly content with the new BOA residential building.

True, we don't want existing tenants moving out of town or out of state for that matter.

Yes I am once again going to stress my feelings on the need for the importance of creating new jobs in Hartford and retaining the ones already there. We have a new/ are getting such things as a new convention center, hotels (marriott, homewood suites by hilton, holiday inn express downtown opened a few years ago), science center, renovated hotels (hilton, goodwin to be renovated soon hopefully), a new culinary school and lastly tons of residential units.

I for one would almost go as far to say that I would give up one maybe two projects (maybe smaller ones) for one corporation moving to downtown Hartford... one that has never been been in Hartford but was attracted to it or a corporation that completly moved out of Hartford (either out of state or to the suburbs)

Whos behind this?

Grunberg Realty. They bought the building earlier this year.

So if thats all getting converted to residential....then where are all the offices moving to?

I have no idea...but keep in mind only about 50% of the building is occupied, so with our 18% vacancy rate downtown it shouldn't be difficult to find space. Someone mentioned the Stilts Building - that seems like a good guess.

I have no idea...but keep in mind only about 50% of the building is occupied, so with our 18% vacancy rate downtown it shouldn't be difficult to find space. Someone mentioned the Stilts Building - that seems like a good guess.

The Stilts building would definitely be an ideal location for the existing companies to move too.

Yes it shouldnt be hard to find office space but for some reasons when employers have to find new things in Hartford they end up leaving Hartford and we cannot let this happen. Bank of America has a major presence in the suburbs...not just in Hartford and much of the space in that building is occupied by BOA

Yep, just tear down any building you don't like. That's what Hartford has done forever. This building is a classic.

Non-descript? Better look that word up before you use it. This is a bright white building covered by 25 floors of honeycombing. It is complex and simple at the same time.

And the dopiest comment is that the 60's were a non-descript era. I guess the moon landing, the civic rights movement, hippies, the British music invasion, the Cuban Mmissle crisis and the Kennedy assasination were all non-desrcipt event from that non-descript era. ROTFLMAO!

Yep, just tear down any building you don't like. That's what Hartford has done forever. This building is a classic.

Non-descript? Better look that word up before you use it. This is a bright white building covered by 25 floors of honeycombing. It is complex and simple at the same time.

And the dopiest comment is that the 60's were a non-descript era. I guess the moon landing, the civic rights movement, hippies, the British music invasion, the Cuban Mmissle crisis and the Kennedy assasination were all non-desrcipt event from that non-descript era. ROTFLMAO!

I have always thought of the Hartford National Bank Building (777 Main) as being one of Hartford's unique buildings. The facade is great. Unlike the Gold building across the street, there is a much better contrast between the ground floor and the upper floors. The building is topped with its hat and holes punched in the corners. The overall proportions make the building soar. It also creates a great backdrop for the Old State House.

Who said anything about tearing the building down?

He said "an era of non descript buildings". Not a non descript era. There's a huge difference.

The building is topped with its hat and holes punched in the corners.

That's one of the reasons I've never liked this building. Never been a fan of buildings that look like they're wearing hats. If the top of the building were changed, I think it would really change my mind about it.

I received the 2006 Book if Lists today and there is an advertisement on page 113 for this project.

For anyone who doesn't have it, it shows a picture of the BofA building and says: "Downtown Hartford's most stylish residential condominiums - like nothing you've ever seen. To premiere in 2008."

I guess that now makes it official. :thumbsup:

He said "an era of non descript buildings". Not a non descript era. There's a huge difference.

I didn't see the relevancy of his comment either, but he obviously amused himself a great deal in making it, and I didn't want to rain on his parade. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I know the definition of nondescript. Personal attacks notwithstanding, I have a right to my opinion. Dopey he says ...

Youre wrong about that too. You're confusing your own taste with good taste.

Yes, Mies Van De Rohr's influence certainly dominated the middle of the century. And his "less is more" concept was tranlated to many of buildings in the period. But I wouldn't even call them non-descrpit, many of the glass walled structures are spectular.

But you're ignoring great buildings like the Hancock Tower in Chicago which remains a landmark. It's a great bulding inside and out. I know worked on the 28th floor there for years. By the river, the non-descript Marina Towers broke the mold on apartment towers. The Van De Rohr inspired Lake Point Tower brought movement to the curtain wall.

Even Hartford's own Phoenix "boat"" set new style and form for city structure. From Boston's Prudential building with it's little hat to Seattle's Space needle, the 60's were a time of experiemtation in the high-rise form. Hate it or love it, the Pan Am building is anything but non-descript and the same is true of BOA building.

It would be a shame to ruin the clean lines of the BOA building. This is more than a high rise it is an important historic structure that has been a fixture in the skyline for 40 years.

If you want a non-descript building, try the Hartford Insurance Tower. It is a mini-version of Chicago's IBM building. It's a true Van De Rohr clone. But it is still an important and historic building and I'm glad that you're not in charge of its future.

Archived