More downtown condominiums

SOCOM

I'm going to throw a hand-granade on this thread. Let's make the f'ing building even taller....

I'll pick up that hand grenade...

As everyone already knows, I hate the top of the building, so I'm all for a taller building given that the top would obviously have to be altered to make way for the extra floors. Kill two birds with one stone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pick up that hand grenade...

As everyone already knows, I hate the top of the building, so I'm all for a taller building given that the top would obviously have to be altered to make way for the extra floors. Kill two birds with one stone.

How hard would it be to add height to this building? Could it be done?

Slightly off topic, but related

The bulk of the new downtown residential is located well within the established footprint of the downtown area. I am excited about this new wave of development but would also like to see the downtown footprint expand.

Throughout Hartford's history, each wave of development replaced a previous wave within a CBD that has stayed about the same size (actually smaller)...........much like a flower that blooms and dies, blooms and dies over and over again in the same location. Main and Pearl has been reinvented several times. An architecturally significant building was demolished to make way for the present (BOA) building.

If each wave of development stretched the footprint of downtown, Hartford would have had the makings of some great historical districts. A walk through the city would highlight several eras.

Montreal is one example where the heart of the modern city has shifted from its original center. As the city grew, newer development shifted to the northwest. Eventually all the old buildings were refurbished in "Old Montreal". I am sure there are many that feel the Back Bay area (west of traditional downtown) in Boston is the center of Boston.

Some may say we need to fix the traditional core first and then the expansion will follow. However, the same thing has been said with the earlier waves of development 30, 50 years ago.

Slightly off topic, but related

The bulk of the new downtown residential is located well within the established footprint of the downtown area. I am excited about this new wave of development but would also like to see the downtown footprint expand.

Throughout Hartford's history, each wave of development replaced a previous wave within a CBD that has stayed about the same size (actually smaller)...........much like a flower that blooms and dies, blooms and dies over and over again in the same location. Main and Pearl has been reinvented several times. An architecturally significant building was demolished to make way for the present (BOA) building.

If each wave of development stretched the footprint of downtown, Hartford would have had the makings of some great historical districts. A walk through the city would highlight several eras.

Montreal is one example where the heart of the modern city has shifted from its original center. As the city grew, newer development shifted to the northwest. Eventually all the old buildings were refurbished in "Old Montreal". I am sure there are many that feel the Back Bay area (west of traditional downtown) in Boston is the center of Boston.

Some may say we need to fix the traditional core first and then the expansion will follow. However, the same thing has been said with the earlier waves of development 30, 50 years ago.

Great points. I'd love for Capitol Avenue to be developed into a Back Bay type residential street. The brownstones on Capitol right by Main street look beautiful, but there's only what, 8 of them? Turning that whole stretch of Capitol Ave all the way to the Bushnell would create one of the best neighborhoods in DT Hartford IMO.

thats craaaaaaaazy. yea im guessin they would change the outside to look more residential of some sort. Whos behind this? this should definately increase foot traffic in the center of the city. I would wanna live there. So if thats all getting converted to residential....then where are all the offices moving to?

That's the question few are willing to ask.

If companies that would have "unloaded" their office buildings years ago are finally jumping at the chance to do so through condo-conversion, we all ought to be a bit worried about the employment base for those new downtown residents who may be moving in.

This type of redevelopment is like ocean water. Tide in. Tide out. Sometimes undertow. Sometimes Tsunami. What is still lacking in Hartford - the one quality that would make it impervious to the nervous rise and fall of housing and jobs - is its basic rationale for being. What is the need for this city? The one real predictable constant is state government (the only thing that would move those jobs out of Hartford would be an embracing of telecommuting, and given the rate of enlightenment/efficiency in any state's govenment (not just CT), I doubt I will live to see that happen, despite the fact that almost every job in my agency can easily be performed from home.) State government jobs are really not enough to create a vibrancy in Hartford. A convention center and a science museum are not enough. Those things and the employers who choose to remain downtown will be enought to sustain a downtown "DISTRICT", not a city. The neighborhoods will experience no renaissance as a result of that "buttoning up" of the downtown. I would love to be wrong about this, but there is not one single example nationwide where a "district" or central area of a city was polished up, and the rest of the sity rode the crest of that wave into revitalization and stability. I think that is why many people I talk to who work downtown and go to a downtown gym, and even come back for food and entertainment remain hesitant about investing in downtown condos. At this point, I think the thing to track as a significant indicator of an influx of suburbanites is the uptake of the new rental units.

Just heard the news...

Opening date set for summer of 2008. :)

Let's hope they can somehow improve the exterior.

photo_777main.jpg

Photo credits Grunberg Realty

I like this building. I think the exterior is pleasantly dated and not in need of change. I can remember as a teenager standing at the end of a lobby on or near the top floor and looking out through those scooped precasts and thinking how nice it would be to live in the building.

That's the question few are willing to ask.

If companies that would have "unloaded" their office buildings years ago are finally jumping at the chance to do so through condo-conversion, we all ought to be a bit worried about the employment base for those new downtown residents who may be moving in.

This type of redevelopment is like ocean water. Tide in. Tide out. Sometimes undertow. Sometimes Tsunami.

BofA may still be a major tenant in this building after the conversion. We just don't have enough information yet to determine whether or not they are moving out.

As of today, the first 15 floors are almost 100% occupied and the top 12 floors are virtually empty. We could be looking at a mixed use structure with only the top 12 floors being converted to condo's. That'll be a win-win situation. BofA stays and everyone who buys a condo gets a great view.

BofA may still be a major tenant in this building after the conversion. We just don't have enough information yet to determine whether or not they are moving out.

As of today, the first 15 floors are almost 100% occupied and the top 12 floors are virtually empty. We could be looking at a mixed use structure with only the top 12 floors being converted to condo's. That'll be a win-win situation. BofA stays and everyone who buys a condo gets a great view.

Creating a mixed use building would be an intelligent turn of events.

Archived