If our four largest were gone...

krazeeboi

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm.....

Tampa (become the latin link)

New Orleans (the oil capital)

Charlotte (the finance and transpotation capital)

The last one is hard....I think cases could be made for Austin, Nashville, Memphis, or Raleigh, but I'm not sure any of them would be much more than the are.

I think I would select San Antonio, sinply because Texas is bound to attract a large population, and it was most established city pre-WWII other than Houston or Dallas, so I think it would have built on that.

Hmmmm.....

Tampa (become the latin link)

New Orleans (the oil capital)

Charlotte (the finance and transpotation capital)

The last one is hard....I think cases could be made for Austin, Nashville, Memphis, or Raleigh, but I'm not sure any of them would be much more than the are.

I think I would select San Antonio, sinply because Texas is bound to attract a large population, and it was most established city pre-WWII other than Houston or Dallas, so I think it would have built on that.

Hey, you know, Birmingham, (even though it's behingd Charlotte's) is the third largest bank center in the U.S., and also has one of the best Medical Schools in the nation, with a graduate school ranking higher than Emory's.

I realize that Birmingham is one of the last cities that comes to mind when you think of secondary cities behind the "Big Four", but, Birmingham isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

Hey, you know, Birmingham, (even though it's behingd Charlotte's) is the third largest bank center in the U.S., and also has one of the best Medical Schools in the nation, with a graduate school ranking higher than Emory's.

I realize that Birmingham is one of the last cities that comes to mind when you think of secondary cities behind the "Big Four", but, Birmingham isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

Birmingham is indeed a banking center, but it's not 3rd in the US. SF and others are ahead of the magic city in this category.

Birmingham is indeed a banking center, but it's not 3rd in the US. SF and others are ahead of the magic city in this category.

I meant that Birmingham is third in population of top 50 banks in the U.S.

Banks like:

Regions

Amsouth

(Regions and Amsouth are merging)

Compass

etc...

Though Bham is likely to drop because of the merger.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^I totally agree with Birmingham.

If there was no Atlanta, Birmingham would most likely be the capital of the Deep South. I have no doubt whatsoever.

I think the new capital of Florida would be Jacksonville. Jax is already known as the business city of the state. Jax also has enormous space to expand; it's all of Duval County. Orlando and Tampa don't have as much breathing room left.

I'm also convinced Texas' capital would be Austin!

What was the fourth city? :)

btw this is a fun topic:)

But Austin is the capital, lol!

I think if there was no Dallas or Houston, San Antonio would have been that city, not Nashville or Memphis.

I would say it like this.

Houston>New Orleans

Dallas> San Antonio

San Antonio was the biggest city in the state for a very long time and well into the 20th century before Houston exploded.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it was yellow fever. I just know it killed a large % of the population.

Yes, Fedex has been a Godsend for the city of Memphis.

Yes, FedEx, from your friends in Little Rock in 1972 (where FedEx started, and then moved b/c the city wouldn't expand the airport for their projected traffic).

Probably one of the North Carolina cities filling the void of Atlanta. Personally, the actions of a few Birmingham leaders tainted that city in the eyes of America (and I know Birmingham is a wonderful place). I don't think Atlanta's absence would have been Birmingham's gain. Personally my bet is on Charlotte as being a center much like Atlanta is if it were not there.

Outsider's opinion (I'm from CT).

Memphis: already Fedex hub, I'm sure it has room to grow

Charlotte: Banking. Need I say anything more?

New Orleans: Oil money from Houston would make this city huuuuuuuge.

Last one is tough... Orlando? Tampa? Richmond? Nashville? Austin?

Outsider's opinion (I'm from CT).

Memphis: already Fedex hub, I'm sure it has room to grow

Charlotte: Banking. Need I say anything more?

New Orleans: Oil money from Houston would make this city huuuuuuuge.

Last one is tough... Orlando? Tampa? Richmond? Nashville? Austin?

What about Birmingham, more banking than Pittsburgh, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the four state region, with one of the leading medical schools in the country. Metro area is only about 100,000-200,000 smaller than Memphis, Nashville, and Charlotte's. I think Birmingham would replace one of the big four.

What about Birmingham, more banking than Pittsburgh, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the four state region, with one of the leading medical schools in the country.

What 4 state region? TN and Georgia have multiple level I trauma centers. I'm sure Florida has a bunch too.

Memphis

Regional Medical Center at Memphis/ I

Presley Trauma Center

Nashville

Vanderbilt University Medical Center I

Knoxville

UT Medical Center I

Chattanooga

Erlanger Medical Center I

Kingsport

Wellmot Holston Valley I

Medical Center, Inc.

Johnson City

Johnson City Medical Center I

Hospital, Inc.

Medical Center of Central Ga.

Macon

Bibb

Memorial Health Univ. Medical Center

Savannah

Chatham

Medical College of Georgia

Augusta

Richamond

Grady Memorial Hospital

Atlanta

Fulton

What 4 state region? TN and Georgia have multiple level I trauma centers. I'm sure Florida has a bunch too.

Memphis

Regional Medical Center at Memphis/ I

Presley Trauma Center

Nashville

Vanderbilt University Medical Center I

Knoxville

UT Medical Center I

Chattanooga

Erlanger Medical Center I

Kingsport

Wellmot Holston Valley I

Medical Center, Inc.

Johnson City

Johnson City Medical Center I

Hospital, Inc.

Medical Center of Central Ga.

Macon

Bibb

Memorial Health Univ. Medical Center

Savannah

Chatham

Medical College of Georgia

Augusta

Richamond

Grady Memorial Hospital

Atlanta

Fulton

No, in actuality there are no other Level I trauma center within the 5-state area of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, or Tennessee according to the American College Surgeons Verified Trauma Center listings besides UAB Hospital. None of those hospitals you have listed are even on that listing as even Level II or Level III. You must meet all of the strenuous qualifications to be classified one. My sister works at UAB Hospital as trauma unit CNA and they have patients from all over the South and the world in their unit. Don't get me wrong those others are major hospitals and medicial centers, but if without the certification they can't used the label as Level I trauma center.

Here's the link to prove it:

http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html

No, in actuality there are no other Level I trauma center within the 5-state area of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, or Tennessee according to the American College Surgeons Verified Trauma Center listings besides UAB Hospital.

This quote is FALSE. Please do further research before passing information off as fact. If it helps you, google each hospital provided by Flith and read for yourself the information provided. Now unless we have several different terms for "Level 1 Trauma Centers," every Georgia hospital listed by Flith is a Level 1 trauma center.

This is a link the Georgia EMS website. I checked the Grady Memorial Hospital website and it list itself as a Level 1 facility.

Georgia Trauma Centers

I have no idea where that website got it's information (or if it is current) but it is NOT completely correct. I'm almost positive that the hospitals int eh other states listed by Flith are Level 1s as well. I could do the research but Leonard I would prefer you to do it. It may be a learning experience. I know I learned something today because I thought that Georgia only had three level 1 facilities.

This quote is FALSE. Please do further research before passing information off as fact. If it helps you, google each hospital provided by Flith and read for yourself the information provided. Now unless we have several different terms for "Level 1 Trauma Centers," every Georgia hospital listed by Flith is a Level 1 trauma center.

This is a link the Georgia EMS website. I checked the Grady Memorial Hospital website and it list itself as a Level 1 facility.

Georgia Trauma Centers

I have no idea where that website got it's information (or if it is current) but it is NOT completely correct. I'm almost positive that the hospitals int eh other states listed by Flith are Level 1s as well. I could do the research but Leonard I would prefer you to do it. It may be a learning experience. I know I learned something today because I thought that Georgia only had three level 1 facilities.

Wow, calm down, please. Haha, I do believe from looking at that website that those are Georgia Level I Trauma Centers. Georgia's standards, not the American College of Surgeons (ACS) standards. I got my info from the ACS.

Here's the link, it is current. I looked all over the website and found no other list. ACS Trauma Centers

But in a way you're correct, it was false, UAB Medical Center is the only Level I Trauma Center (by ACS Standards) in the entire FIVE state area.

By the way, please do your research the next time you bat down someone's claims. :D

Archived