House of Blues

sleightofhand

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread for this somewhere but it's somewhere in the deep dark urbanplanet depths.

On the NCMF thread I listed my reasons for doubting that the whole thing will happen as planed by Lazes. I doubt HOB has signed anything permanent. I took a tour of the place and it's always "this is coming" and "this will be here". As of right now there is next to nothing and I'm really not sure if all of these supposedly coming places have actually signed leases or if they're just passing thoughts and hopes in Lazes head. If HOB is coming then I'll eat my words but... right now I have to say I doubt most of the particulars having to do with NCMF. If I were HOB I think I would want to be in the heart of Uptown, maybe in Epicenter next to the arena or something. All I can say is we'll wait and see.

However, I don't doubt that a HOB in Charlotte would be wildly successful for several reasons.

1) The food is awesome. It's not like some crappy HardRock were the food is crap and the touristy ambience sells it. The food is great and they would likely develop a strong local following of people that continue to come back for the food.

2) The ambience is great, there is no hokeiness to it. It also has a very strong southern feel with the decor and with offerings like a Sunday Gospel Brunch.

3) The touring shows they bring tend to be top notch and something Charlotteans will flock to a the venue will fill a niche and attract shows that a lot of people in the area want to see but aren't big enough for places like Verizon or the arena yet are too big for Tremont or the Grady Cole.

4) They would do tremendous business with there membership program here. Corporations, businesses, and the large wealthy population of this city will likely purchase and use the hell out of HOB's exclusive membership package.

So if they are indeed coming... I will be there day one because like I said the food is awesome.

Again, we'll see. I thought we'd see HOB along College Street or in the Epicenter.

I really hate to be such a downer about this project but I just dont like the location of the NCMF. An HOB at Epicenter would be the perfect spot. With everything else around and the draw of the arena, the rail line, etc. I hate, that because the NCMF is not really within easy walking distance from the nightlife section of Tryon and College, that it will actually be competing with uptown even though technically its in uptown.

Put it along the rail line, join with Levine and help kick start his project, but dont put it in a disconnected corner of 77/277. Oh well, HOB's are great, and I'm glad Charlotte will be added to their list of cities.

What stage is the NCMF at right now? Still a dream? Is it under development? Considering the impact this would have Uptown it sure doesn't get much discussion on these forums.

This project is currently under site development and will be submitted to the city for permitting within the month. The first plaza between two of the existing structures has already been constructed with a stage. Two clubs are opperating out of the current structures.

I don't know why people are so bummed about the location of this project. Do you really want every nightlife option within a 4 block radius? I think that this will develop that corner of downtown into another nightlife district that offers something a little different than Forum or Crush (blah :sick: ). It's only 15 blocks from trade and tryon, which isn't really that far. And just think, if and when they build the street car loop around downtown, you can take the street car back and forth. And for those of you nay-sayers about the location, at least it wasn't built next to Concord Mills or something - it is still downtown after all.

I don't know why people are so bummed about the location of this project. Do you really want every nightlife option within a 4 block radius? I think that this will develop that corner of downtown into another nightlife district that offers something a little different than Forum or Crush (blah :sick: ). It's only 15 blocks from trade and tryon, which isn't really that far. And just think, if and when they build the street car loop around downtown, you can take the street car back and forth. And for those of you nay-sayers about the location, at least it wasn't built next to Concord Mills or something - it is still downtown after all.

I personally think it is a great location, I however have doubts about Lazes intentions. I personally do not like some of the bands he has brought into Charlotte, but at the same time I do like some of the bands he has brought into Charlotte, he is like one of those guys who likes some cool bands, and some really bad ones that offset the cool bands that he likes/books. Anyway Im sure that is my personal opinion, but I do not want to see NCMF ending up like another College Street with Clear Channel type bands, bad cover and or tribute bands, etc..etc.. Charlotte has way to much of that going on. From his inteviews he has suggested in creating something similar to Buckhead, Ebor, Deep Elm, and in my opinion those places are not that far different than what is already on College street, with the exception of parts of Deep Elm. I think he needs to bring something that will restore a balance to Charlottes music scene, not just add the same type of stuff.

On that note an HOB would be great if it is true because they have a lott of great bands play there that normally past Charlotte. So I really hope this pans out, but like Apptone I will remain skeptical until it is set in stone.

wow neat! While it is a chain, it's great to see that the NC Music Factory has something behind it. These places seem to attract lots of concerts.

Hopefully this is true. If NCMF is going to work it needs a big name like this, the two clubs there now are really struggling but they aren't "big name" clubs and don't really have much of a pull. To get folks down in this little isolated pocket and make it known it needs this! I'm sure the Lazes plan is to get them in and up-and-running, and then work on getting more clubs and venues to fill in the other buildings.

If HOB ever opens it will be beneficial from a brand name perspective. Having less loud establishments would also be nice. It seems like the current plan is to have a Myrtle Beachy type atmosphere for Uptown. With no space for more lowkey and relaxings spots like a small bookstore or a little late night dessert place.

If HOB ever opens it will be beneficial from a brand name perspective. Having less loud establishments would also be nice. It seems like the current plan is to have a Myrtle Beachy type atmosphere for Uptown. With no space for more lowkey and relaxings spots like a small bookstore or a little late night dessert place.

Not commenting on whether it is good or bad, those places are in the 'hoods surrounding center city...and I feel like I pay half their bills from being there! There are some more relaxed spots downtown (on week nights especially), but many more on East Blvd or Central / Thomas, SouthEnd, etc.

Thats true CN. I tend to spend a lot of time at those places myself! I guess with the positioning of the Nascar Hall etc..Uptown is the area best suited for high energy establishments. Uptown itself is not very large and there really isn't enough room for a mix, although it would have been nice to have a variety of options in our center city.

Great news about HOB, if it's true. I personally don't think NCMF will work, it seems like a transitional phase to a more coherent and connected future uptown. I was in Dallas about a month ago and saw the reminants of Deep Ellum which now mainly consists of abadoned establishments. I think it is the fate of all of these inorganic and unnatural developments which force clusters of clubs or entertainment venue together. Natural variety is the only way a downtown becomes a destination, in my opinion.

Thats true CN. I tend to spend a lot of time at those places myself! I guess with the positioning of the Nascar Hall etc..Uptown is the area best suited for high energy establishments. Uptown itself is not very large and there really isn't enough room for a mix, although it would have been nice to have a variety of options in our center city.

I also worry that the extent of our "nightlife" in Uptown charlotte will be bar after bar after bar. I wonder if the police could just set up permanent DUI checkpoints on every road leading out of Uptown after 11PM. :)

Link

do you think this might affect the possiblity of them building in Charlotte?

WOW. The article definitely seems to indicate that these plans, however earnest they might have been, might be thrown out the window.

As a whole I don't think many people think NCMF will work as planned. The public face of many in the city and some of the design consultants I've talked to is one of support, but their personal opinion is different. It is one of the reasons they are pushing hard to add a residential element before they agree to some of the Seaboard Street and other infrastructure plans.

As mentioned by others, it is inorganic and is developed more like an MGM music theme park than a real entity. The first plans I saw for it called for establishments that were platted out and described, literally, as "Country Bar", "Mediterranean Cafe", "Dance Club", "Urban Lounge" etc. I picture getting a wrist-band at the parking lot that gets me in all the bars.

I think the newer plans that call for residential mixed in would add REAL life to this area and could make the entertainment portion take off. If it is just a jumble of warehouses turned into various venues I think the location will kill it after the newness wears off.

After years of working to get restaurants, bars, clubs, and entertainment downtown -- and we are just now getting the payoff -- why are we trying to pull it away again to a different location? Can Charlotte support two large entertainment zones? I wouldn't be surprised if the area actually developed more with residential and production like the wonderfully successful Silver Hammer Studios...the market seems to be telling the develolper what will work -- are the listening?

I know this is inside "the loop" but it isn't really part of center city if you have to walk or drive a dozen or more blocks away through and past dead space and under the freeway and railroad tracks. If this were going to house true underground clubs it would be fantastic, we used to love going to random grungy places...

Archived