House of Blues

sleightofhand

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

House of Blues is incredible. I've been inside the one in New Orleans, and the atmosphere was scruffy, but a little exciting. I wonder if this will increase Charlotte's chances of getting a Hard Rock Cafe? I wish they wouldn't put Hard Rock's in every little city, such as Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach, because it is making it more and more a tourist chain. It is losing it's originality. Still, I wish the bigger, more important cities could be where they would locate, to keep the ambiance. Charlotte is getting large enough for one, I would think. I don't think House of Blues locates in every small town that has tourists, maybe they will keep thier ambiance intact.

previous2.gif I've never been quite sure how Hard Rock Cafe's choose their locations. You have cities such as Louisville, Sacramento, Salt Lake City & Indianapolis which aren't necessarily tourist mecca's, but yet they each have a Hard Rock Cafe.

Then there are cities like Seattle (a HUGE Rock-n-Roll city), Portland, OR., Cincinnati and Milwaukee that seem like they should have one and don't.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the fact that Vancouver closed their HRC 5 years after it opened ('95-'00) because it couldn't make a profit. So, even in a city the size of Vancouver, a HRC isn't always a sure bet.

I remember back in the late 90's there was a push to build a HRC in a proposed entertainment area near the Panthers stadium. My guess would be if House of Blues does open here, a HRC will not be far behind.

And yes, the food ain't all that but I love looking at the memorabilia.

Well...originally HRC were all company owned I believe and only located in major international tourist destaination (New York, San Fran, LA, D.C., Paris, London, Cancun, New Orleans, Orlando, etc....)....then I believe they began to franchise which seriously diluted the brand and that's why there didn't seem to be any reasoning to some new locations, and why some seemingly "slam dunk" locations failed (local franchisee mismanagement)......besides, does anyone even go to those anymore? The last one I went to was Atlanta back in 1998.....there can't be much good R&R memorbilia left....if we got one in Charlotte, we'd probably have to settle for a guitar pick acutally used in the recording of GNR's "The Spaghetti Incident" or some other worthless crap.

Hard Rock is tired, and overpriced for the quality of food.

A personal opinion, but one I don't share. It's not the food most of us like anyway, we go because we love the music memorabelia and the atmosphere. For a rock fan like me, it is a little slice of heaven.

reading this thread, hard rock cafe came to mind. a friend of mine spoke last year (hes charlotte native) and he felt that if we got the nascar hof then the hrc would be a definite. i cant imagine hrc not coming to charlotte with the nascar hof, house of blues, and the new wachovia museums.

one reason against the hrc is that hob would actually be a competitor to hrc. nowadays, hard rock cafes are trending to night clubs, bars, and concerts. I have been to over 40 worldwide and the newer ones are moving to include stages and bigger bars.

I am not sure how the house of blues will succeed. If hrc came to college st or in the epicenter, it would definately succeed, putting even more pressure on the hob.

hob just seems "so far away," who knows, maybe someone on here can convince me that is will be successful and why it will be

Archived