Any gourmets out there?

I hope this thread doesn't sound like Good Housekeeping, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good recipes to share for this Summer. I'm cooking a lot more lately, and looking for ideas.

My wife makes this excellent Black Bean/Corn/Cilantro Salad that's to die for. I found a similar recipe online HERE, but the most imporant ingredients to me are:

Black Beans

Corn

Diced Red Peppers

Cilantro (mmmm)

Olive Oil

Lime Juice

My Wife doesn't do the Jalepenos, although I wish she would. It's great too if you're supposed to be getting more fiber in your diet. :blush:

Anyone else have any good ones?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm a fairly good cook, what do you guys like? Lately the best thing I've made is beer can chicken on the grill. I make a spice rub and rub the chicken with it then sit the chicken on the beer can, in a roasting dish, put it on a medium heat grill for about an hour and a half. It's the most tender and juicy chicken you will ever eat. Rub consists of:

Salt

Black Pepper

Ground Chipolte Pepper

Garlic

Paprika

Make sure you get the rub all over the outside and inside of the chicken.

She dices em, I eat em. :D

well rule #1 I've found: if you help in the kitchen, and there will be more salsa beyond in the bowl :P

have you tried http://allrecipes.com/ ?

after looking, there isnt much with all those ingredients BUT salsas... although if you've got steaks...

:whistling: <---

edit: aww man, they never required membership before... hmmm well.

I think I'm a fairly good cook, what do you guys like? Lately the best thing I've made is beer can chicken on the grill. I make a spice rub and rub the chicken with it then sit the chicken on the beer can, in a roasting dish, put it on a medium heat grill for about an hour and a half. It's the most tender and juicy chicken you will ever eat. Rub consists of:

Salt

Black Pepper

Ground Chipolte Pepper

Garlic

Paprika

Make sure you get the rub all over the outside and inside of the chicken.

Mmmm. I'll have to try that. How long do you let the chicken soak in the rub?

Personally, I'm especially interested in any grilling recipes with salmon, whitefish, chicken and pork. I'm tired of the same old same old. And also creative ideas for vegetable side dishes. We don't eat a lot of pasta lately.

And if anyone has other recipes/ideas, please share them. Go ahead and take over the thread if you want. :lol:

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Salmon! you should have said so!

3 pounds salmon

1/4 cup butter

1 cup chopped cilantro

1 fresh jalapeno pepper (or red), seeded and chopped

Season to taste

Preheat grill for high heat.

Lightly grease one side of a large sheet of aluminum foil. Place salmon on the greased side of foil. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and mix in cilantro and jalapeno. When cilantro is wilted, drizzle butter mixture over the salmon.

Place foil with salmon on the grill. Season to taste. Cook 15 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.

this came from allrecipes.com, but my father made this in a smoker grill, and oh emm gee its delicious!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget about dessert . . . . .

KEY LIME PIE

2 14 oz cans Eagle brand condensed milk

3 eggs

Key Lime Juice (you can get this at specialty wine stores)

Plain yogurt (use about 1/2 cup)

Mix the above together - make sure to separate the eggs & only use the yolks for this part

Pour into a ready made crust (extra large or you can use a bunch of those cute little ones)

Meringue:

Egg whites

6 T sugar

drop of the key lime juice

Mix w/ a blender on high speed (slowly start mixing as you are adding the ingredients)

this may take a while to get a nice fluffy merignue

Put the meringue on top of the pies

Bake at 325 for 15 minutes or until the meringue is just a tad browned

Cool & then store in the fridge & then Enjoy!

I like to make these in the summer - either for dinner or for taking to the Picnic Pops:

Chicken Satay

1 lb. boneless chicken breast fillets - cut into strips

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tbs. grated fresh ginger

1 tsp. ground coriander

3 tbs. light soy sauce

Thread chicken onto skewers and place in shallow pan, combine next 4 ingredients and pour over skewers. Marinate 30 minutes.

While you wait, make the sauce:

6 red shallots or 1 small red onion

2 fresh red chilies (or thai chili sauce - 1tbs.)

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tbs. veg. oil

1/2 cup coconut milk

2 tbs. light soy sauce

1 tbs. lime juice

Put all ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth paste. Heat in small pan on stove, or in wok.

Drain skewers and cook on the grill or broiler pan, 2 minutes on each side. Serve with sauce.

Yum-o!

I'm taking these to Cannonsburg tomorrow night!

Veggies / Sides for the grill

Asparagus

Olive Oil

Sea (or Kosher Salt)

Ground black pepper

Rub down the asparagus with the olive oil and sprinkle with the Salt and pepper

Place on the grill (the top shelf works best)

Rotate them once or twice and in about 5-10 minutes will be ready (depending on the heat of the grill from whatever else you're cooking).

Potatoes

Any type of potatoes, cut into about 1 inch pieces

Garlic, diced

Olive Oil or butter (your preference)

Rosemary

Salt & Pepper

Mix the all ingredients in either a grill pan or tin foil

Place on the grill for about 15-20 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Add onions if you like.

Corn on the cob

Season as desired and place on the grill

If you like the charred variety, place directly on the grill or you can wrap in tinfoil.

My favorite way to do it is to just pull the husks back (instead of off) to remove the silk, then soak in either water or Milk for about an hour. Drain away the liquids, put your desired seasonings on (cayenne pepper, salt, butter, parsley), pull the husks back around the corn and put on the grill for about 10 minutes. Delicious. Watch out if you put butter on them, as it will drip onto the fire.

Someome asked earlier about a Salmon recipe for grilling. This is a marinade for Salmon that I got from Japan and is one of the traditional ways to prepare it there. I have made this many times and it is absolutely scruptious. This recipe is a bit of work, but well worth it.

Marinade

• 8 Oz of light miso. If it is available get the cheap stuff. The lighter the better. Find it in health food or preferably asian grocery stores.

• 1/2 cup sake

• 1/2 cup mirin - some upscale grocery stores have this but it

Sauce

• 4 oz miso

• 1 Tbs sugar

• 2 egg yolks

• 2 Tbs sake

• 4 oz spinach leaves

• Prepare the salmon (2-3 lbs) fillet by salting it on both sides and putting it over a pan in the fridge for an hour.

• Make the marinade by mixing together the Marinade ingredients so that it forms a paste.

• Make the sauce in a food processor.

• Once the hour is up, rinse off the salmon and wrap it one layer thick in a cloth. I find that an old clean teeshirt cut up works well for this. The recipe calls for 2 layers of cheesecloth if you would rather do that.

• Get a pan that is large enough to hold the salmon fillet and place 1/3 of the marinade in the bottom of the pan.

• Place the cloth wrapped salmon in the pan then use a spatula to coat the rest of the cloth wrapped salmon so that it is completly covered in the marinade paste.

• Cover the pan in cling wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. Better if it stays there overnight.

• When you are ready to grill unwrap the salmon making sure not to get the marinade on the salmon. Discard the marinade.

• Grill the Salmon on a grill, and after the last turn, cover brush on the sauce made above, cook for a few more minutes until the sauce is served.

• Serve to happy people

Archived