The Sams Club Off Hwy 112 In Fayetteville

Hoggy Bear

All of the liquor stores in Springdale are owned by Jim Phillips aka Springdale Liquor Association. The ones in Fayetteville are spread out in their ownership. This will be the only Wal-Mart in the State that will sell alcohol. The law limits this and unless the law changes no other Wal-Mart will be able to sell alcohol.

Crossover Liquor should not be worried but that store on 112 may want to consider selling quick.

Wal-mart is not pushing to sell liquor at it's stores up here. It is the liqour store owners who are providing the most resistance to the Sam's liqour store. Specifically the folks at Crossover liqours and the folks at that liqour store just across 540 (maybe it's called 112 Liquor). Jim Holt has also showed up at some of the ABC hearing to voice his concerns. Nevertheless, the main argument the resistance offered at these hearings (mind I have no idea where the lawsuit stands and Walmart isn't saying) was the fact that these Ma and Pa's would loose money. Well, guess what, that's business. The ABC was more concerned with whether or not the stores would be seperate...which they will. They'll share a wall, but that's it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam's claims the store will be a seperate business run by seperate people even though the money eventually winds up at the same place, I guess. In other words, the Sam's Club will not be selling liquor; they are simply building a space in which a liquor store (they happen to own) will set up and sell liquor. I personally wouldn't be bothered by a liquor section in the Sam's Club itself.

There are two arguments against it. Neither of them hold much water.

The first is the "This is going to ruin my business." argument. I don't blame them for trying to stop it, but this is just one of the situations that comes along with free enterprise. You don't see small Fayetteville clothing stores trying to stop Sam's from having a clothing section. The liquor stores in trouble need to find a way to offer something the Sam's Club's liquor store can't offer.

The second is the "I don't want to take my kids to Sam's and have them see a liquor store" argument. This is the argument coming from the ultra-socially-conservative Jim Holt camp. If this is your agument, you had better not drive your children down 71 or Dickson or take them to any resteraunt in the metro (including the damp Benton County), 'cause they might see a little booze. In addition, why not choose to not shop at the Sam's Club if they build a liquor store instead of trying to ruin the chance of cheaper spirits for those of us who partake? Well, I guess this is just another situation that arises in this free country of ours.

Nevertheless, Sam's Club is continuing with its plans at this time. Godspeed to them.

All of the liquor stores in Springdale are owned by Jim Phillips aka Springdale Liquor Association. The ones in Fayetteville are spread out in their ownership. This will be the only Wal-Mart in the State that will sell alcohol. The law limits this and unless the law changes no other Wal-Mart will be able to sell alcohol.

I personally would rather drive to Jane, Mo's Supercenter and get alcohol, plus lower sales tax on whatever I purchase. I guess I am not supporting locally if I do that, but that should speak volumes about the pricing and taxing locally here. It's amazing how much revenue is lost by the region because we can just drive 10-20 minutes north and pay less for gas, groceries, and alcohol.

Yeah outside of Washington County, I believe all the other wet counties allow beer and wine coolers, items that have smaller percentages of alcohol, to be sold in grocery stores. They've also moved up to selling Arkansas wines. Although I'm waiting to see if anyone tries to challenge that and start trying to sell out of state wine. But no grocery store in Arkansas sells anything stronger than wine. We've got two different things going on here. The statewide laws and the one that just deals with Washington County. One particular family owns many of the ones in Washington County, especially Springdale. Technically you can't have more than one but each member of the family 'owns' a liquor store so they really control things. I had thought they owned a few of the ones here in Fayetteville too but I could be wrong on that. But they don't want grocery stores or Wal-mart to sell wine or beer because that weakens their 'monopoly' and allows more players to be involved with selling alcohol instead of all of their liquor stores.

It is all county dependant in Arkansas, each county has it's own alcohol/beer laws that they set who knows how many years ago. There is only one place that you can get beer/wine outside of a liquor store in Washington county (besides restaurants/bars) and that is in Tontitown. The gas station just before you head west of town. It think it is called the Bowen Arrow express or something. They sell beer and wine but not on sundays.

I think it has more to do with how long before someone actually tries to challenge the 'monopoly' the Phillips family (I think that's the name) has. I don't think though that sales are being lost because people can't get their beer or wine at the grocery store though. I think people still go to liquor stores anyway. I suppose some liquor stores would have to change strategies because they could potentially lose some of their customer base.

I enjoy Macadoodle's as well. I like their "build-your-own 6-pack" with quite a few different imported and domestic lagers and ales to choose from. I went the safe route and bought a 12-pack of Shiner Bock, but next time I'm up there I'm going to take a chance and build my own. They had some pretty popular brands like Newcastle Brown Ale, Samuel Adams Original Lager and Killian's Irish Red.

Another perspective on Sam's liquor sales:

The Sam's discussions here have focused on the independent consumer. Many of us end users will continue to use our local liquor stores for convenience or service. The business that existing liquor stores are more likely to be fearful of losing is the local bars and restaurants that purchase stock for their bars. Losing the bulk purchases of weekly repeat business and the large ticket party orders (think of all the beverages at fundraisers and stadium suites) is more likely to hurt the local liquor stores if many of their customers chose to purchase from Sam

Another perspective on Sam's liquor sales:

The Sam's discussions here have focused on the independent consumer. Many of us end users will continue to use our local liquor stores for convenience or service. The business that existing liquor stores are more likely to be fearful of losing is the local bars and restaurants that purchase stock for their bars. Losing the bulk purchases of weekly repeat business and the large ticket party orders (think of all the beverages at fundraisers and stadium suites) is more likely to hurt the local liquor stores if many of their customers chose to purchase from Sam

True that is an interesting point. But I'm still not sure I would say we shouldn't allow it just because of that. What if Albertson's or Kroger suddenly wanted to move into the area. Should we deny it because it could hurt a local grocery store chain like Harp's? I know what you're saying and I don't want to see the local guys get shut down. But I'm just not sure we can deny others just to monopolize our area for only local merchants.

I have never been to a Sam's that sold Liquor but is it really that much cheaper than everyone else? Is it only by bulk or can you just get say 1/2 gallon of something? The Sam's in Tulsa sells beer (only domestic 3.2% Oklahoma beer) but I don't remember it being alot less than stores in Arkansas.

I have never been to a Sam's that sold Liquor but is it really that much cheaper than everyone else? Is it only by bulk or can you just get say 1/2 gallon of something? The Sam's in Tulsa sells beer (only domestic 3.2% Oklahoma beer) but I don't remember it being alot less than stores in Arkansas.

True that is an interesting point. But I'm still not sure I would say we shouldn't allow it just because of that. What if Albertson's or Kroger suddenly wanted to move into the area. Should we deny it because it could hurt a local grocery store chain like Harp's? I know what you're saying and I don't want to see the local guys get shut down. But I'm just not sure we can deny others just to monopolize our area for only local merchants.

Archived