To make RIPTA more user-friendly

Statesman

I was at CCRI-Warwick the other day for a speaking engagement and noticed that the RIPTA bus stop has a customized schedule, encased in plastic, that showed the times for all inbound/outbound 22/30 buses that go there, every day of the week.

If those sort of posts could be placed at notable RIPTA stops/transfer points (especially at most bus stops downcity), like where all the Stop and Shop/Shaws stops are, anywhere where the stop is utilized by commercial property or designated Squares and whatnot, I bet RIPTA would be used more often.

RIPTA complained awhile back that no one took the Trolleys and so they scaled back the frequency. Well RIPTA....maybe I would be more inclined to catch the Trolley from the Convention Center up to the Hill if there was a post with the times. And maybe I would wait for a trolley going from KP if the digital schedule post next to the Stop actually worked (I've never seen it when it was working), instead of making me run over to the Intermodal center to check the enxt trolley (and of course...half of the time, a TV is missing and/or broken...)

/sigh.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at CCRI-Warwick the other day for a speaking engagement and noticed that the RIPTA bus stop has a customized schedule, encased in plastic, that showed the times for all inbound/outbound 22/30 buses that go there, every day of the week.

If those sort of posts could be placed at notable RIPTA stops/transfer points (especially at most bus stops downcity), like where all the Stop and Shop/Shaws stops are, anywhere where the stop is utilized by commercial property or designated Squares and whatnot, I bet RIPTA would be used more often.

RIPTA complained awhile back that no one took the Trolleys and so they scaled back the frequency. Well RIPTA....maybe I would be more inclined to catch the Trolley from the Convention Center up to the Hill if there was a post with the times. And maybe I would wait for a trolley going from KP if the digital schedule post next to the Stop actually worked (I've never seen it when it was working), instead of making me run over to the Intermodal center to check the enxt trolley (and of course...half of the time, a TV is missing and/or broken...)

/sigh.

I agree that poor dissemination of information is a hurdle stopping many potential new riders from using RIPTA. I do give them credit for adding the System Map. It is a good start but it still needs work. I find MBTA’s interactive maps (Subway example) to be easier to use. It is a good tool for new riders who need to learn the system. Once you are on the street looking to get around info is very hard to find. I try to do my research in advance and carry any schedules I might need with me.

As an almost unrelated note: 3 years ago my brother took a buss from Burlington, VT which dropped him in Kennedy Plaza. He then wandered around asking drivers and other official looking people how to get to the Warwick Mall where I was supposed to pick him up. They all just told him they didn't know and gave him attitude. He called me and I just told him to stay put and I would pick him up there since I wanted to have dinner in Providence anyway. He still thinks all RI’ers are rude. It totally soured his view of the state.

I don't remember why he didn't go to the center to ask there, maybe being from VT he thought any official would help him. I do know that no one suggested he go there for help. Could it have been closed? I think it was a weekend.

You should check out the "Why don't more people use RIPTA?" thread in the RI forum.

I totally agree... I wouldnt wnt to use public transit in the US if I didnt know when it was coming, since generally the US's public transit service is rather poor in comparison with, say, Europe... RIPTA is better than the transit system I have around my neck of the woods... Pierce Transit sucks!!! GO RIPTA!!!

Archived