Which Automaker Do you Prefer?

monsoon

Which Automaker Do you Prefer?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which Automaker's Products Do you Prefer?

• General Motors
    • Toyota
    • DiamlerChrysler
    • Ford
    • Volkswagen
    • Honda
    • Nissan/Renault
    • I would not own any of them

I don't know about the markets, but the designs sure don't change that fast. Back in the 60's and earlier, cars were redesigned every 1-2 years.

don't get me started on design... they all look the same now... there is nothing that looks different. there's some minimal style differences, like the fugly chrome grill thing on the new VW's, but other than those small differences, there's nothing. the new jetta looks like the corolla, which looks like the cobalt, which looks like the civic, which looks like the focus, which looks like the ion... there's no more originality. that's one thing i really liked about subaru, they seemed more original than the other automakers, but their recent redesign took place before GM sold their shares... i'm hoping to see better design from subaru in the future. but every mid-size sedan and small sedan look like each other. the interiors might be different but from the outside, they're all th same. even volvos (which looked better when they were boxes on wheels) now look like jags which look like the new fords (go figure) and the new mazdas (also a ford company now). even the new mercedes are fugly and look like a recent chrysler (before the chryslers became big ugly boats, i'm thinking along the lines of the concorde).

did they all decide that it wasn't worth paying a designer? VW used to be the "different" automaker... aside from that fugly grill, they're no different than the rest. the late year 99's through the 2005 were some nice looking cars, but they took a nasty turn for the worst, and they even brought audi along for the ride...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it really depends on what your'e talking about when it comes to "which automaker is the best".

when you lump everythign together, toyota and honda come out on top with their lexus and acura brands. there used to be a lot more automakers in the world, but now a lot of the cars that were the name in reliability, luxury, and safety have taken a jump off a cliff... volvo, jaguar, saab even. volvo was once the safest car in the world... then ford came in and they went the same way jaguar went with reliability... kissed it goodbye. saab's a GM product and other than their 9-2x, which is just a saab-ified subaru WRX, their line isn't as good as they used to be. thankfully, GM sold almost all of their shares of fuji heavy industries releasing their grip on subaru (my preferred automaker).

i don't know what happened to VW, but my guess is they started trying to become "the poor man's luxury car", meaning they make a standard passenger line, but add in a lot of pointless options that just add more to go wrong with the car. they used to be very simple and pretty reliable, but since their big re-design, they just haven't been, and that goes for audi as well since they're basically the same cars just a bit more luxurious and sporty.

if you want the precision handling and sportiness of a car and don't care about anything else, you don't want to go with toyota or honda, you want something more like a BMW or an audi... unless you lump it all together and come out with a WRX.

I agree with you on Saab. I weep for its future as GM keeps taking a more hands-on approach. I hate the fact that they now include it as one of their divisions and that the 9-2 is a Subaru (the Saabaru)and the 9-7 is the same SUV as the Buick SUV. The 9-5 and 9-3 are still great cars, but I'm sure GM will get their hands on the next generation of them and ruin them too. The old Saabs were great. My old roommate's dad has an '84 900s that still runs well even though it has 300k miles on it.

I agree with you on Saab. I weep for its future as GM keeps taking a more hands-on approach. I hate the fact that they now include it as one of their divisions and that the 9-2 is a Subaru (the Saabaru)and the 9-7 is the same SUV as the Buick SUV. The 9-5 and 9-3 are still great cars, but I'm sure GM will get their hands on the next generation of them and ruin them too. The old Saabs were great. My old roommate's dad has an '84 900s that still runs well even though it has 300k miles on it.

the 9-2x is a really nice car... of course i happen to love subarus... but it's really just a more luxurious and more expensive WRX wagon.

German cars are best for quality... Japanese for economy... and American cars for family/farming/hauling.

If you're looking for efficiency and a good sized car.. Volkswagen is a good choice. Toyota as well. American cars are just too uniform/big/average now days.

American cars are following the trend of our nation: Beige, boring, and conservative (In the appearance front, not political)... A nice beige mini-van fits perfect in front of a beige McMansion in Nowhere-particularly-special-ville, USA. I hate suburbs.

German cars are best for quality... Japanese for economy... and American cars for family/farming/hauling.

that isn't true anymore... what german cars are considered really reliable? certainly not VW/audi. german engineering isn't what it used to be anymore unless you want super luxury from benz (which is practically american now anyways) and BMW, which do have the reliability of the japanese cars, but come at a huge premium because of the name.

the japanese cars are high quality vehicles and will outlast anything made in germany in recent years.

american cars... well... they all suck except the trucks.

I'm a dodge guy. My first car I bought was a neon in 96. When I left for Japan I never sold it. Well last year I moved to Vegas and my dad drove it to Nevada. She has 160,000 miles on her and still ticking. If you take care of the cars they will last. So to show my loyalty I bought a Durango last May. Well who knew that gas prices were going to hit the roof. I kinda regret buying it but all in all it is a good vehicle it just doesn't fit in with my new found "greeness". I am impressed with the new Impalas with selective valve timing. Finally Amercian auto makers are waking up........

• 4 months later...

At first glance, I thought that Kremenchug was some kind of tricked-out Porsche Ceyenne. Could you imagine being tailgated by that thing? Talk about scary!

As for the original topic os this thread (I haven't posted here yet, have I?) I like DaimlerChrysler products. I am currently on my third Dodge/Chrysler (an '02 PT Cruiser), and the other two were both pushing 200k miles when I decided to put them out to pasture. They have proven quite reliable in my mind, and in addition, I love the styling of their recent vehicles.

My lady and I share a Ford Focus. Best car either of us has ever owned.

I'd have to say Toyota is a step ahead of most of the others listed, especially when you consider their expanding line of hybrid vehicles. I mean, even their non-hybrids are upper-echelonian in fuel economy. I'd like to take a Yaris for a spin.

So would I. For the price, that's a sharp looking car.

I could also see myself in a Scion. there's something about quirky cars that attracts me, and I have a couple friends who rave about theirs. Of course, you can also expect Toyota reliability from them. I just read today that they are replacing both the xA and xB in 2007. They feel the need to change frequently to keep up their trendy image. I can't wait to see the new cars.

Test drove one. The thing's so small, I couldn't even stuff my rather compact 5'7" frame into the back seat without bumping my head, even when I thought I was ducking TOO far. The engine's got about the torque of a lawnmower (and the sound of one, too), but the car is light and as long as you don't have delusions of adequacy for the Yaris as a racer, you probably won't mind. Interior quality is...well, let's just say that you get what you pay for. I hate the gauges in the middle, but most folks don't seem too bothered by it. Styling is subjective, but I hate forward rake and the Yaris has tons, so 'nuff said there.

For my money, the Corolla is a much more substantial, larger, better-built, better-looking, and eminently more practical car for only $1500 more and really quite a small penalty if fuel economy. In fact, the Corolla is already one of the most fuel-efficient cars on the market, and I see no reason to get a Yaris when the Corolla is on the market.

Consider this: where are the revenues recognized? Hondas are in Japan, meaning that money you spend to buy the Honda, ultimately goes to Japan. Ford's revenues, even if built in Canada, are recognized in good 'ol Dearborn, MI, meaning that the vast majority of that money stays here.

Or, besides that, what about such things as design aesthetics? Engineering? What influences those and where are they done?

I like all the automakers, but I'm a car nut. Every one out there has plusses and minuses; ain't none of them perfect.

Right now, if I had to buy another car, it'd be a new Fit, a new Suzuki SX4, or a used Malibu Maxx SS. I love hatches and truly wish they'd catch on in this country the way they have in Eurpoe.

Consider this: where are the revenues recognized? Hondas are in Japan, meaning that money you spend to buy the Honda, ultimately goes to Japan. Ford's revenues, even if built in Canada, are recognized in good 'ol Dearborn, MI, meaning that the vast majority of that money stays here.

Or, besides that, what about such things as design aesthetics? Engineering? What influences those and where are they done?

Archived