Which Automaker Do you Prefer?

monsoon

Which Automaker Do you Prefer?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which Automaker's Products Do you Prefer?

• General Motors
    • Toyota
    • DiamlerChrysler
    • Ford
    • Volkswagen
    • Honda
    • Nissan/Renault
    • I would not own any of them

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IIHS, which does realistic crash testing unlike the watered down industry friendly crash testing done by the NIS, has released it's list of the safest vehicles for 2007. There were no American brands on this list. Ford and GM can claim they are getting better, but it is this lack of focus on items such as this which continue to hurt those brands.

Actually, I'd build in a few improvements to prop up the mileage while I was in there (I would, of course, hop up the rather tired 365ci Cad V8 under that hood as part of the overall resto), such as a built Chebby 700R4 automatic with overdrive transmission, solid-state ignition, and a leaner tune on the carb since they usually set them about 10% rich back then.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/847899.html

Toyota sold more cars in the U.S last month than Ford did for the 2nd time ever. Ford sales were down nearly 10% over November 2005 while Toyota's sales were up 16%.

Ford is in some serious trouble. GM is as well, but I think this goes to show that both companies need a MAJOR overhaul in the cars they produce and the way they do business. Americans simply do not want giant pickup trucks and SUVs like they used to. It seems American car companies are in denial and they just keep pushing for bigger cars and trucks.

I have driven only American cars in my driving career, but I may switch to a foreign automaker for my next purchase if there isn't a car with very good gas mileage being offered by American automakers. GM has done a little dabbling in the smaller car market, but Ford seems to have missed the point. Sure, the Focus gets good gas mileage, but it's SO UGLY.

So, what I would say to American Automakers: Get your act together, start producing fuel efficient vehicles, and divorce the oil companies. Otherwise you'll just continue your freefall.

I've heard Ford has showed some of its employees future product offerings coming out up to 2009 and the impression is there is some good stuff coming out. Including, a B-segment car slotted at or below the Focus.

GM will have a few good products coming out soon, including the 2008 Malibu.

Chrysler is in pretty bad shape, inventory-wise, with about 500K cars in inventory. May be some good incentives on them this month!

Here're some good car sites: GMInsidenews, Allpar, Blueovalnews, Edmunds.

I've heard Ford has showed some of its employees future product offerings coming out up to 2009 and the impression is there is some good stuff coming out. Including, a B-segment car slotted at or below the Focus.

GM will have a few good products coming out soon, including the 2008 Malibu.

Chrysler is in pretty bad shape, inventory-wise, with about 500K cars in inventory. May be some good incentives on them this month!

Here're some good car sites: GMInsidenews, Allpar, Blueovalnews, Edmunds.

Well, the 2009 models will probably be out January-April 2008. The 2008 Malibu is supposed to be at dealers in January. I know, I know. Funky release dates, but that's the way they do it now.

I think that's true that the domestics have been playing catch up, but they are getting closer. Somebody's going to be ahead, be it the Asiand (and Hyundai is coming on strong), the Europeans (who are declining a bit, quality-wise) or the Americans. Regardless, most cars built today are far better than the ones of even ten years ago.

Well, the 2009 models will probably be out January-April 2008. The 2008 Malibu is supposed to be at dealers in January. I know, I know. Funky release dates, but that's the way they do it now.

I think that's true that the domestics have been playing catch up, but they are getting closer. Somebody's going to be ahead, be it the Asiand (and Hyundai is coming on strong), the Europeans (who are declining a bit, quality-wise) or the Americans. Regardless, most cars built today are far better than the ones of even ten years ago.

Unions are a big part of the problem, but management let them get that way. It was easier to acquiesce.

The asian lead may be perception now. The domestics had a lot of years of sloppy products, and they need to convince the buyers that they aren't that way any more.

Actually, GM's vehicles are pretty competitively fuel efficient. Even their trucks and SUV's are capable of getting 21, 22, maybe even 23mpg on the open road! A huge stride from 10 years ago where 17-18 was considered a good showing, and there has been an according increase in in-town mileage as well. Think about it, that's as much as a 30% gain in fuel economy, and that's nothing to sneeze at. And their bread-and-butter 3.8 V6's have long been very competitive in fuel economy, it's only in the last 5 or so years with all the gee-whiz techno-gadgetry that Asians have brought to their V6's that they've surpassed what the 3.8 is capable of, and I guarantee you the complicated Asian cars will not be easy to maintain, now or down the road. Not to mention the LS-series V8's were incredible in their ability to be efficient, a good driver can average 28mpg and touch 30mpg in a Corvette or Camaro. Then there's the otherwise underwhelming 2.2 OHV from Chevy, the 3.1 and 3.4 V6's, and the Northstar V8's which are perfectly competitive in this regard as well.

Ford and Chrysler are a little bit behind in the fuel economy run, but not really by a huge amount. Ford's old 1.9 was a fuel economy star, and its replacement, the 2.0l SOHC, is pretty good too. Both the Ford 302 and 281ci V8's were/are pretty efficient for their class. And don't forget the Neon, which probably was capable of 40mpg.

Now, as far as trucks go, Asians haven't fared any better than the Americans. We're not talking about car-based crossovers, which aren't trucks, we're talking about true, real trucks, like the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra, maybe even the compact trucks like Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. Asians used to build smaller, more fuel-efficient trucks than the Americans which worked in the 70's and 80's, but they didn't sell so well in the 90's. It's when they beefed the trucks up that they could sell all they could make, and the Americans continue to do so as well. Remember, the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle of any kind for twenty-something years. I believe only Dodge is the one that lags in fuel economy in trucks, I can vouch as my 7 year old Van gets WORSE gas mileage than the 14 year old full-size 4x4 from Ford that I used to have.

Actually, GM's vehicles are pretty competitively fuel efficient. Even their trucks and SUV's are capable of getting 21, 22, maybe even 23mpg on the open road! A huge stride from 10 years ago where 17-18 was considered a good showing, and there has been an according increase in in-town mileage as well. Think about it, that's as much as a 30% gain in fuel economy, and that's nothing to sneeze at. And their bread-and-butter 3.8 V6's have long been very competitive in fuel economy, it's only in the last 5 or so years with all the gee-whiz techno-gadgetry that Asians have brought to their V6's that they've surpassed what the 3.8 is capable of, and I guarantee you the complicated Asian cars will not be easy to maintain, now or down the road. Not to mention the LS-series V8's were incredible in their ability to be efficient, a good driver can average 28mpg and touch 30mpg in a Corvette or Camaro. Then there's the otherwise underwhelming 2.2 OHV from Chevy, the 3.1 and 3.4 V6's, and the Northstar V8's which are perfectly competitive in this regard as well.

Ford and Chrysler are a little bit behind in the fuel economy run, but not really by a huge amount. Ford's old 1.9 was a fuel economy star, and its replacement, the 2.0l SOHC, is pretty good too. Both the Ford 302 and 281ci V8's were/are pretty efficient for their class. And don't forget the Neon, which probably was capable of 40mpg.

Now, as far as trucks go, Asians haven't fared any better than the Americans. We're not talking about car-based crossovers, which aren't trucks, we're talking about true, real trucks, like the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra, maybe even the compact trucks like Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. Asians used to build smaller, more fuel-efficient trucks than the Americans which worked in the 70's and 80's, but they didn't sell so well in the 90's. It's when they beefed the trucks up that they could sell all they could make, and the Americans continue to do so as well. Remember, the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle of any kind for twenty-something years. I believe only Dodge is the one that lags in fuel economy in trucks, I can vouch as my 7 year old Van gets WORSE gas mileage than the 14 year old full-size 4x4 from Ford that I used to have.

the fuel economy is only one of the reasons as you said. their cars aren't very innovative, their more fuel efficient cars (like the focus) are ugly, etc... it's gonna take a lot more than better fuel economy for the americans to start outselling the asians.

he only mentioned fuel mileage and trucks. he failed to even touch the subject of reliability, where asian cars win straight across the board. and then there's safety. again... asians got that across the board as well, even the cheapo ones like hyundai.

then there's the other reason that i won't buy american. i prefer not to support unions that are as bad as the automaker's union.

Archived