Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Wikipedia

17 posts in this topic

This article is a pretty good summary of Wikipedia's problems. And it is apparently getting worse as it is becoming infested by teenagers. We have dealt with the teenager problem here at UrbanPlanet as in they are not welcome, but you guys ought to read this article before you think this is a place for definitive information.

I like their comment: "The Might is Right Editorial Principle". While GW Bush might think this, in the real world, it just isn't so. Please do your research before using this place as a source.

When I first heard about Wikipedia I couldn't beleive people actually would use it as a valid source. It'd be like referencing someone's rant in an online journal as a source of fact.

I take it from what goes on in here that the wikipedia is ok to be cited as a general source, just not a definitive one that is meant to settle an argument. There was a study in which, when searching for information in selected scientific topics, the wikipedia was shown to be about as accurate as the Encyclopedia Brittanica, so not everything that is up there is garbage.

I use a variety of sources when im on here. I check to see if:

-the website looks legit (ex: .gov, .edu are much better sources than .com and .net)

-the person who writes the article looks legit

-if i hesistate too much reading the article, its probably not a reliable source

-if applicable, the sources (works cited page) used if its not the persons work

Some stuff on Wiki you can tell is BS, but there will be some people who will quote it as fact. I've tried to correct some things I've seen that were utter BS, but I won't do so unless I can find a reliable source to back it up.

There is some good information on there, but you have to know a bit about the topic to have a feel for whether or not the information is reliable.

I hate that Wikipedia has gotten the way it has, but when you allow the users to change the content, no doubt you're asking for trouble.

When I look for a source I just google the subject and read through enough websites until I get a consistant answer. If you want a definitive source though search using Google Scholar or other scholarly search engines.

When I look for a source I just google the subject and read through enough websites until I get a consistant answer. If you want a definitive source though search using Google Scholar or other scholarly search engines.

I didn't know Google Scholar existed, but now I do...

Thanks for that. :D

I take it from what goes on in here that the wikipedia is ok to be cited as a general source, just not a definitive one that is meant to settle an argument. There was a study in which, when searching for information in selected scientific topics, the wikipedia was shown to be about as accurate as the Encyclopedia Brittanica, so not everything that is up there is garbage.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I like to use it as a general guide to let me get a general feel of a subject, then use it to help me focus what I'm trying to find out and use other sources to get the minutia or the lowdown on subjects I'm still curious about/thought smelled of BS.

I'm smack dab in the middle of the teenage years. I'm 16. Unlike other ones, I try to be careful when I'm writing anything and not to biased or anything else.

i wouldn't completely rule wikipedia out as a source for info... as someone already stated, britannica isn't much better than wikipedia

it's good for general info, but not really for a definitive answer. in fact, it's not easily to find definitive answers anywhere on the net with all the crap that's out there now in blogs, left-leaning sites, right-leaning sites, etc.

You know, we could always infest Wikipedia ourselves and make sure that we research and provide factual data and other information on Wikipedia. If we don't, it may end up as bad as Urban Dictionary. :rolleyes: Damn those teenagers (now I know how my parents must have felt when I was one)!

You know, we could always infest Wikipedia ourselves and make sure that we research and provide factual data and other information on Wikipedia. If we don't, it may end up as bad as Urban Dictionary. :rolleyes: Damn those teenagers (now I know how my parents must have felt when I was one)!

urban dictionary rocks!

Yeah I'm probably the only good teenager out there.

Yeah I'm probably the only good teenager out there.

You might be surprised. I was a good teenager, I think. I didn't get into my first substantial bit of trouble until I was well into my 20s. :rofl: Now it seems to follow me around everywhere I go, so I think it wise to purge yourself of trouble while you're still a teen. That's what the teen years are for, in retrospect. :lol:

I wouldn't cite wikipedia as a source, but I like reading the articles there and seeing how much they change. Sometimes they can be on point, and other times it can be gossip or whatever. I am glad however that they changed the Tevin Campbell entry.. they didn't need to include, "Tevin was raped by four guys outside of a gay club." Come on! The music entries are always interesting to watch evolve as fans construct the info and conflict over the best and worst and so forth. I sure did find Prince's entry very informational. Temptations too.

Its tricky because to the uninformed, they will think it is just an online encyclopedia. The first time I saw it, thats what I assumed.