Loop Hoghway

insituphoto

With all the growth that's happening in and around Tallahassee, and into Wakulla county, I am surprised there hasn't been any talk of building another loop around the city to bypass traffic, like Capital Circle was originally supposed to do.

I'd expect some sort of limited access highway (I-X10) to come down from say Monticello, into SE Leon, NE Wakulla, through Wakulla, over toward Franklin and back up into Gadsden.

It would really help the coast with tourism too. Imagine a 40-45 drive to Apalachicola or St. George Island instead of a slow crawl on US-319/98.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the growth that's happening in and around Tallahassee, and into Wakulla county, I am surprised there hasn't been any talk of building another loop around the city to bypass traffic, like Capital Circle was originally supposed to do.

I'd expect some sort of limited access highway (I-X10) to come down from say Monticello, into SE Leon, NE Wakulla, through Wakulla, over toward Franklin and back up into Gadsden.

It would really help the coast with tourism too. Imagine a 40-45 drive to Apalachicola or St. George Island instead of a slow crawl on US-319/98.

The problem here is, this idea would never be built atleast for 10-25 years because, The current streets handle traffic well enough as is. Also, the city is in th process of spending multi millions of dollars improving capital circle all the way around which shouldnt be done until 2010 or so maybe later.

Check back in 25 years is my best guess. :thumbsup:

The "Red Hills Coastal Parkway" is proposed to do just what you suggest in the very long range 2030 transportation plan for our region. It would be a limited access toll road running from just North of Bradfordville in Leon County around the far East side of Tallahassee and ending down in Wakulla County somewhere South of Crawfordville. Maybe Capital Circle will be finished before work starts on this new project...Ha! :lol:

I'd settle for two lanes in each direction all the way to St. George Island. What always seems to slow me down are the RVs and pickups towing boats. Otherwise I'm hopeful that Capital Circle will really help move traffic around Tallahassee once the widening is completed.

I'd settle for two lanes in each direction all the way to St. George Island. What always seems to slow me down are the RVs and pickups towing boats. Otherwise I'm hopeful that Capital Circle will really help move traffic around Tallahassee once the widening is completed.

The only issue is that Cap Circle won't be widened all the way around for quite some time. The part north of I-10 on the west side of town won't be done until around 2020, if not after then.

The "Red Hills Coastal Parkway" is proposed to do just what you suggest in the very long range 2030 transportation plan for our region. It would be a limited access toll road running from just North of Bradfordville in Leon County around the far East side of Tallahassee and ending down in Wakulla County somewhere South of Crawfordville. Maybe Capital Circle will be finished before work starts on this new project...Ha! :lol:

Not to mention that the RHCP will tie into a toll road running parallel to US 98/319 along the coastline.

I under stand our financial constraints limiting our ability to complete the whole circle at once, but it seems we could do a little more of the Capital Circle project at once than we are currently doing. I had not heard anything about the RHCP, but I'd like to see a map if at all possible.

I under stand our financial constraints limiting our ability to complete the whole circle at once, but it seems we could do a little more of the Capital Circle project at once than we are currently doing. I had not heard anything about the RHCP, but I'd like to see a map if at all possible.

Here it is TJ!

http://www.capitalregion2030.com/maps/Prop...ure/FS_Hway.pdf

With all the growth in eastern Leon County (i.e. Fallschase, Buck Lake Road, Mahan, Hwy 90) they need to move up the timelines for the Red Hills Coastal Parkway. BTW, this is awesome news! They need to secure right away acquisitions before land values start to go through the roof due to business and population increases out here.

There needs to be some better highways leading fromt the coast. It would be good to have better highway to get around Tally area.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Tallahassee sbdinc! :yahoo:

Great to see so many new members joining lately!! Looking forward to your input on our city's growth and development.

With all the growth in eastern Leon County (i.e. Fallschase, Buck Lake Road, Mahan, Hwy 90) they need to move up the timelines for the Red Hills Coastal Parkway. BTW, this is awesome news! They need to secure right away acquisitions before land values start to go through the roof due to business and population increases out here.

Start to go thru the roof?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:shok:

one of the most exciting things about that map is the welaunee rd creation. does anyone know when the road will go all the way out to roberts? that will help me in my driving times big time... unless they make the speedlimit 35mph like they did on blairstone :angry::angry::angry:

Thanks Seminole. :D

That's a good looking Metro!!

MetroMap.jpg

BTW, I'm waiting for the day when you (Seminole) and GoGators feud!!! :P

haha there will be no feud! :whistling: (at least not for another couple of months lol)

Im not sure if the proposed location of that parkway is going to really help anything. It passes to far east of Tallahassee, dont you think? It will be nice from the NE side of town, sure, but it still appears that from anywhere other than that area, 319 will still be the preferred route to the beach.

You're right. The new expressway would also carry South Bound traffic from GA to the coast and also assist North bound passengers from Wakulla county to evacuate with a bit more ease.

What we really need, in addition to this, is a nice expressway south of capital circle that runs E-W.

I thought the Florida Turnpike would eventually make its way from Central Florida to Tallahassee... If true, that could be the east - west expressway for Wakulla County and southern Leon County. Maybe, it could spur downtown and eventually link to I-10. That would complete our much desired loop. Or is this just some of my wishful thinking... :D

The only real plans I know for extending the T-pike is to take it northward just about 20 or so miles until it ends at US 19. It would go through parts of the Goethe State Forest and right now they are squabbling over what to do w/that situation. I don't think there are any plans as of right now to extend it up to Tally. Now if they build the toll road from P'cola to our area that would be a good incentive to bring the T-pike on up, but I doubt that traffic counts in Taylor and Dixie counties warrant this.

BTW using US27/Alt 27/US19 is a great alternative in going to Tampa (via Suncoast P'way) or even Orlando and Miami (use the 27 split off in Chiefland.) I use it all the time in my travels and lose little to no time and enjoy the ride much better. Oh and here's a big plug for the Burger House in Chiefland....best onion rings you'll ever eat and their burgers and shakes are great too. Just beware they aren't open on Sundays and Mondays and are located across from Chiefland HS at the 19/27 split.

With the way our area ranks on road money compared to other areas in Florida. I will probable never see half of that in the map above and I am only 32. We have needed major highway updates for years and we never seem to get the money.

The only real plans I know for extending the T-pike is to take it northward just about 20 or so miles until it ends at US 19. It would go through parts of the Goethe State Forest and right now they are squabbling over what to do w/that situation. I don't think there are any plans as of right now to extend it up to Tally. Now if they build the toll road from P'cola to our area that would be a good incentive to bring the T-pike on up, but I doubt that traffic counts in Taylor and Dixie counties warrant this.

BTW using US27/Alt 27/US19 is a great alternative in going to Tampa (via Suncoast P'way) or even Orlando and Miami (use the 27 split off in Chiefland.) I use it all the time in my travels and lose little to no time and enjoy the ride much better. Oh and here's a big plug for the Burger House in Chiefland....best onion rings you'll ever eat and their burgers and shakes are great too. Just beware they aren't open on Sundays and Mondays and are located across from Chiefland HS at the 19/27 split.

Yeah, the proposal is for the Turnpike to be extended to US 19/98 in Crystal River.

It makes me sick the stuff that is built that has no need. The Western Beltway in Orlando is pretty useless, and they're building the new Branan-Chaffee Expressway in Jax which will be a complete waste. No need for them at all, yet we're stuck without anything :angry:

Yeah, the proposal is for the Turnpike to be extended to US 19/98 in Crystal River.

It makes me sick the stuff that is built that has no need. The Western Beltway in Orlando is pretty useless, and they're building the new Branan-Chaffee Expressway in Jax which will be a complete waste. No need for them at all, yet we're stuck without anything :angry:

Me too :sick: It makes no since.

I honestly don't wish to start a debate by writing my response, but Corporate America (or in this case Corporate Florida) is the driving force behind a lot of these expressways. Tallahassee doesn't have a strong business environment so there is no one to push these types of projects along here in this region. And when there is corporate backing who is willing to help sponsor road projects, then local environmentalists seem to resurface from the woodworks - like termites - to shoot it down.

Funding for Florida expressways is very limited, so any available funding will go to those areas with the strongest lobbyist. Jacksonville and Orlando are both bursting at the seems with new development projects so there lies the power.

Are you referring to the 429 Extension in Orlando? I would can it anything other than useless. It will relieve a lot of congestion from Polk and Osceola County drivers trying to get northbound on the turnpike and not having to A.) Go deep into Orlando to get there and B.) Not have to stop and go on US 27

No debate from me Seminole on what you say above. Who do you think is "fueling the fire" for the toll road/expressway that will parallel US 98 in the Panhandle? None other than our little corp. friend St. Joe!

I also agree w/you GG . My BIL/SIL in Clermont love the fact that 429 is open. It makes their trips to the attractions and to see their beloved Bucs play in Tampa much easier. Now they just wish they'd hurry up and finish the NW section of the loop so they can get to Daytona/Deland much faster.

Archived