Loop Hoghway

insituphoto

No debate from me Seminole on what you say above. Who do you think is "fueling the fire" for the toll road/expressway that will parallel US 98 in the Panhandle? None other than our little corp. friend St. Joe!

Absolutely! St. Joe has big plans for new roadway construction in all of North Florida & they're willing to foot the bill for a large portion of it but the NIMBY's and environmental groups keep blocking them & filing lawsuits against them. While there is some of that in other parts of the State it's nowhere near the magnitude it is up here. I've seen the plans St Joe has in mind for North Florida & it will be wonderful for all of us but these environmental groups have got to quit throwing up roadblocks! Like it or not, the growth is coming to North Florida & St Joe is trying to plan ahead & have the roadways & other infrastructure in place to support such growth.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the proposal is for the Turnpike to be extended to US 19/98 in Crystal River.

It makes me sick the stuff that is built that has no need. The Western Beltway in Orlando is pretty useless, and they're building the new Branan-Chaffee Expressway in Jax which will be a complete waste. No need for them at all, yet we're stuck without anything :angry:

The Western Beltway isn't that useless, since it means that if I was still living there I would not need to get on I-4 or Apopka Vineland Rd to get to Disney or Tampa from Apopka (Not that I made the trip that often) Besides, when both the Maitland Blvd extension and the Wekiva Parkway are done it will make more sense.

The most interesting thing about the map is it appears to show the realignment of Miles Johnson Road to the back side of the new Welaunee mega-mall going in at the intersection of Mahan and I-10.

Welaunee mega-mall? Where'd that concept come from?

Southwod's talking about a new mall in Southside... new mega-mall in Welaunee? I don't think this town can handle that much mall space. If true, it would surely spell the demise of Governor's Square, Tallahassee Mall, or both.

The most interesting thing about the map is it appears to show the realignment of Miles Johnson Road to the back side of the new Welaunee mega-mall going in at the intersection of Mahan and I-10.

Miles Johnson Road use to be my favorite dirt road to travel, but didn't they pave the whole thing a few years back? There use to be Tally City Limit sign on the old dirt road under some great oaks. We stopped and took a few pix of us next to the sign to send to the folks back in South FL. We told them that was the main road into and outta town.

Southwod's talking about a new mall in Southside... new mega-mall in Welaunee? I don't think this town can handle that much mall space. If true, it would surely spell the demise of Governor's Square, Tallahassee Mall, or both.

By the time this mall is built, the market will have swollen to a size that could support the additional space I'm sure.

I didn't know the mall was going to be at Mahan and I-10.

Is there anymore info on this being a closed in mall (Tallahassee Mall) or will it be just another typical Publix-esque shopping center. With Wal-mart and Costco, it sounds like the latter is true.

That one has nothing to do with Welaunee, since Devoe Moore owns the land there.

I didn't know the mall was going to be at Mahan and I-10.

Is there anymore info on this being a closed in mall (Tallahassee Mall) or will it be just another typical Publix-esque shopping center. With Wal-mart and Costco, it sounds like the latter is true.

There won't be a Wal-Mart or Costco, since those are going into Fallschase, but it will be open air, and there probably will be a large destination retailer attached (no clue what).

That one has nothing to do with Welaunee, since Devoe Moore owns the land there.

There won't be a Wal-Mart or Costco, since those are going into Fallschase, but it will be open air, and there probably will be a large destination retailer attached (no clue what).

Devoe owns the land on the Northwest side of the intersection. Welaunee has the Northeast side.

Who is Welaunee? And where is the exit that ya'll are talking about?

Welaunee is an old family farm/plantation of the Mettler family that owns a great chunk of the undeveloped property between Centerville Road & Miccosukee Road East of Capital Circle. Welaunee Blvd is the new road the City is building that will cut right through the middle of this property as it heads out towards the NE. They're building Phase One now which will take it to Fleishman Road & is supposed to be opened by next Summer. There is supposed to be a new interchange with I-10 where this new road will intersect with the Interstate. Right now, maps show this new road ending up near Roberts Elementary School at Pimlico & Centerville.

Glenn, I am not sure what you meant when you said that it should be done by next summer, but if you were talking about Phase 1, I would imagine that this phase will be done much sooner than that. The part of Welaunee Road that starts at Centerville and Buford is about to be paved. It would seem to me that it will be done within a month or so. Am I correct? Were you talking about the entire road being open by next summer?

Is the road ya'll are talking about the one right behind Publix?

It's a road that doesn't exist yet.

Welaunee (which was the Fleishman land before John Mettler acquired it) actually gets two interchanges out of it's deal; one at the new road and one at Mahan. Miccosukee Road got somewhat protected out of the deal so the quality of life wins a little bit. The Mahan/I-10 interchange is definately going to be retail on the Welaunee side, and you can think what you want about what's going there. I believe that it's going to be an enclosed mall and a big one. I'm not saying who I believe the anchor store is going to be but if you like to spend lots of money on your stuff (and who doesn't?), I dont' think that you'll be disappointed.

A couple of other good things happen, to some extent, because of Welaunee. Mahan drive get's redone between I-10 and Monticello and it's easier for the citizens to make an impact on the development. I'm much more in favor of large scale developments than the piece-by-piece variety. As citizens, it's easier ot make an impact on one big development than a whole lot of little ones, although this project is about as stealth as you can get.

A couple of other good things happen, to some extent, because of Welaunee. Mahan drive get's redone between I-10 and Monticello and it's easier for the citizens to make an impact on the development. I'm much more in favor of large scale developments than the piece-by-piece variety. As citizens, it's easier ot make an impact on one big development than a whole lot of little ones, although this project is about as stealth as you can get.

Still, if this happens (Mahan is 4 laned east of Summit East), there would need to be quite a bit of rezoning for development to occur there, since once you get out there, you are in the "urban fringe", which would allow 3 acre tracts but nothing smaller (except as a cluster subdivision but even then you can only do 1 acre lots), until Wadesboro, then you are in the rural areas of the County, which allows nothing smaller than a 10 acre ranchette.

Glenn, I am not sure what you meant when you said that it should be done by next summer, but if you were talking about Phase 1, I would imagine that this phase will be done much sooner than that. The part of Welaunee Road that starts at Centerville and Buford is about to be paved. It would seem to me that it will be done within a month or so. Am I correct? Were you talking about the entire road being open by next summer?

I was speaking of just Phase 1 between the Buford Blvd/Centerville Rd intersection & Fleishman Rd. I thought next Summer sounded way too long myself but that's what a job site supervisor told me about 2 weeks ago. Maybe he had his dates mixed up or else I totally misunderstood what he was telling me. I haven't been back by there since then.

Still, if this happens (Mahan is 4 laned east of Summit East), there would need to be quite a bit of rezoning for development to occur there, since once you get out there, you are in the "urban fringe", which would allow 3 acre tracts but nothing smaller (except as a cluster subdivision but even then you can only do 1 acre lots), until Wadesboro, then you are in the rural areas of the County, which allows nothing smaller than a 10 acre ranchette.

With Welaunee and Falls Chase popping soon, there is plenty of new development in that area. I'm not suggesting that Mahan is going to be 4 laned to Monticello. I haven't seen the drawings but I'm pretty sure it's not. We're getting a resurface, slight widening, some passing lanes and turn lanes, and decent shoulders from what I've been told, but it remains 2 lane.

I believe Mahan is going to be 4 laned from Buke Lake to I-10 in the next 5 years or so. Or at least that was what I had heard one time. I had heard it had to be 4 lanes b/c of a Federal mandate or something.

I hope that they figure out a way to do it without taking out the Palms, Crepe Myrtels and ?? that Fred Mahan planted as a donation back in the 1920's on both sides of the road.

Archived