The Incredible Gulch

blokey

Ok, so I've seen that the Icon has broken ground, but what is the whole timeline on the planned projects down there? When will the Icon be complete? When will Terrazo break ground? And what/where/when is the sliver building coming out of the shadows? Not to mention Velocity, and the rumoured super tower.... I'm just wondering when these things will be coming to fruition? I have to admit, I think this is my new favorite part of the city. Sambucca is amazing, the bar next door on the corner (don't know what it's called) is great, etc... My out of town friends are all very jealous of this area. It will only get better with time!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a dumb question. What exactly is the "Gulch". It sounds like a low-lying area near downtown. Are the buidings that get built there going to be part of DT?

The Gulch is a low area adjacent and just west of the central business district. It is located at about 11th and 12th Avenues from about Demonbeum Ave to about Charlotte Ave. Yes, it is definitely going to be part of downtown, especially when one's considers the extensive amount of development planned to go in there. The possibility even exists for the new convention center and convention hotels to be located in the Gulch. That's not the leading location for the Convention Center, but there are many who favor a location in the Gulch, over the I-40 expressway between Church St. and Broadway.

Ok, so I've seen that the Icon has broken ground, but what is the whole timeline on the planned projects down there? When will the Icon be complete? When will Terrazo break ground? And what/where/when is the sliver building coming out of the shadows? Not to mention Velocity, and the rumoured super tower.... I'm just wondering when these things will be coming to fruition? I have to admit, I think this is my new favorite part of the city. Sambucca is amazing, the bar next door on the corner (don't know what it's called) is great, etc... My out of town friends are all very jealous of this area. It will only get better with time!

The Icon will be finished in about a year and a half. I think they are on a 18 month time table. The Terrazzo has had an official groundbreaking and work is suppose to start this month. The Sliver building will not break ground until early next year,(January if I heard right). The have already received the height variance for the project. I asked David with MDHA about Velocity Saturday and he didn't know anything about it, but on the Bristol website, they have the article from the NY Times that mentions Velocity, under recent media. Who knows, but them. The mystery tower is a mystery at this point and the people that know about it are not talking. :)

The Gulch is a low area adjacent and just west of the central business district. It is located at about 11th and 12th Avenues from about Demonbeum Ave to about Charlotte Ave.

I'm confused... "the Gulch" that we always talk about where all these buildings are going in... is south of Demonbreun, closer to Division. Right? But some people refer to the Gulch as the entire area along the railroad gulch which leads all the way to Charlotte. Which is correct? In my mind... ive always thought of the area of Nashville known as "the Gulch" to be basically Division to Demonbreun, around 11th & 12th.... and the rest just part of mid-town or downtown or something?

I think the Gulch is more than the land between Demonbreun and Division. If you drive down Demonbreun towards the river and pretend the bridge is still there, look over to your left and you'll see the Union Station Hotel, which used to be a wonderful train depot. There also was a historic train shed built onto the back. That area is what I think of as the start of the Gulch, but I may be wrong. Go a few blocks from there south, east and west, and you have the Gulch. I believe north of there would be considered part of the CBD. Am I close?

I'm confused... "the Gulch" that we always talk about where all these buildings are going in... is south of Demonbreun, closer to Division. Right? But some people refer to the Gulch as the entire area along the railroad gulch which leads all the way to Charlotte. Which is correct? In my mind... ive always thought of the area of Nashville known as "the Gulch" to be basically Division to Demonbreun, around 11th & 12th.... and the rest just part of mid-town or downtown or something?

In my mind, the Gulch is bordered by the railroad tracks/union station on the east, I-40 on the west, division st. on the south, and charlotte avenue [if not even a few blocks more] to the north. the blocks of 11th avenue, north of charlotte, need redevelopment just as badly. the gluch master plan also includes all the land to the north of division between 8th and 12h avenues south [south of the mercy lounge building across the tracks.

The gulch is basically where the old railroad yard is. 11th avenue is the only street that goes straight through it...Broadway, Demonbreun, and Church all have viaducts over it. It basically starts at the intersection of 12th S and 11th Industrial and follows the tracks all the way up to Charlotte Ave.

^ I understand where the railroad gulch is... but i'm wondering about where the neighborhood known as "the Gulch" actually is. I'm not so sure they are one and the same...

Right now it's concentrated from about 12th and Division up two or three blocks North. As it grows, it will begin spreading and filling in to the North and a block of two either side of 12th Ave. Please correct me, anyone, if you feel this is inaccurate.

gulch.jpg

Hope this helps. This is what the developers call the Gulch.

It certainly does. It points out that my description was off a little bit. I appreciate the info. If they develop all of it as shown along the lines of what has been developed so far and throw in a lot of retail and office space, the Gulch will be absolutely amazing, and definitely the "in place" to be in Nashville.

Question: I've been out of town and might be unclear about something. This "Sliver Building" that we are speaking of, is this the official title of the project or just our name for it?

Does anyone know if the development map has been updated recently? Thanks

Question: I've been out of town and might be unclear about something. This "Sliver Building" that we are speaking of, is this the official title of the project or just our name for it?

Does anyone know if the development map has been updated recently? Thanks

I think it is a nick name at this point. The developers are toying with a few names according to William.

The development map has been updated to a certain degree, but I have some work to do on it and have not had a lot of time in recent weeks. That is a project i plan on tackling in the next week or so. I have taken a few trips lately and plan on going to Yellowstone and the Tetons a little later in the summer. so I need to get this done ASAP. A lot of the projects that have been announced were in the development map as "owners with plans". Some of the projects are dead but not many and a few need to be moved to completed or almost completed list.

I will get to it very soon. :thumbsup:

I think it is a nick name at this point. The developers are toying with a few names according to William.

The development map has been updated to a certain degree, but I have some work to do on it and have not had a lot of time in recent weeks. That is a project i plan on tackling in the next week or so. I have taken a few trips lately and plan on going to Yellowstone and the Tetons a little later in the summer. so I need to get this done ASAP. A lot of the projects that have been announced were in the development map as "owners with plans". Some of the projects are dead but not many and a few need to be moved to completed or almost completed list.

I will get to it very soon. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing your updated map. It should be really amazing! I know you will enjoy the Tetons and Yellowstone. I spent a week there during September, 2004. What an amesome place! When do you plan to go?

well eitherway, thanks smeagol for the map. it's a great asset to this site.

on a side note;

building names-- While I understand that a buildings name is to help promote it's appeal(Icon, Terrazo) I personally prefer the most basic description of a building. example: 328 3rd (I made that up, but you get the point) I personally would like to leave the fancy names for the truly "signature" towers. (pun-intended)

Any thoughts on this?

I don't know. I like the address names, but having a realy name makes it more recongnizable. For example, I easily remember what the Terrazzo, Icon, and Rhythm lofts are, but if yhou say 1101 19th Street, I will have no idea what you're talking about, because there are so many similar names.

nvw, I agree to a certain point. I'm not going to tell someone what they should name their building but you're right about the names in general. They start to sound like band names after a while. Very, very cheesy until it becomes just a word and loses all meaning. Oh well, they can name them all "Oatmeal" as long as they're just built.

I think they should think about naming them after the people who might live there, such as:

528 Money

or

Subsidized Towers

or

One Poor Place

Ooooo or

1917 Comrade Flats (Flats, referring to the fact that it is a one story building so as never to be confused with a tall building of any kind and thus offending no one nor making anyone feel inferior.)

or my favorite

666 The Vue from Hell (because it's soooooo tall that Lucifer himself must have built it. It could have a three pronged spire like a pitchfork, for maximum irritation.)

And now back to our regularly scheduled bickering... :whistling:

Archived