The Incredible Gulch

blokey

Oh well, they can name them all "Oatmeal" as long as they're just built.

I think they should think about naming them after the people who might live there, such as:

528 Money

or

Subsidized Towers

or

One Poor Place

Ooooo or

1917 Comrade Flats (Flats, referring to the fact that it is a one story building so as never to be confused with a tall building of any kind and thus offending no one nor making anyone feel inferior.)

or my favorite

666 The Vue from Hell (because it's soooooo tall that Lucifer himself must have built it. It could have a three pronged spire like a pitchfork, for maximum irritation.)

And now back to our regularly scheduled bickering... :whistling:

:rofl: This is great stuff... where can I come see your show?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=51009

A possible new tax for the Gulch area to upgrade services... Why would Metro not already provide street cleaning services in the area? Is it just an upgrade to more cleanings or actually just doing something that Metro should already be providing?

From the article:

"Meanwhile, Barker is planning a new project, tentatively called Velocity, for the site between the Gulch railroad tracks and the new ICON condominium tower under construction at the northeast corner of 12th Avenue South and Division Street.

Barker said the project will be

I remember a New York Times article about Nashville published about a month ago stated Velocity would be officially announced in about two months. That means we probably have only about one more month to wait. Since this is a Bristol project, and their Icon project was wildly sucessful, I'm with Dave in thinking this project may be a true stunner. The article said it would be quite different than any other downtown project. I'm hoping for a ton of retail, and more residential. Could this be the 40- to 50 story project rumored about? Maybe, but I'm not expecting that. The thing I'm really hoping for is a hug, hopefully destination retail development that will "knock" our socks off and lure even more people into the area. A project like that would send the Gulch into "orbit", IMO.

I dont know if it will be in the Gulch(or if it is going to be real tower) but has anyone heard of this tower called Silver Plaza? I found it on skyscraperpage.com. It says it is going to have a Hyatt Hotel and be 60 floors.

I dont know if it will be in the Gulch(or if it is going to be real tower) but has anyone heard of this tower called Silver Plaza? I found it on skyscraperpage.com. It says it is going to have a Hyatt Hotel and be 60 floors.

Here is the link to my previous post!

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?city...07&type=all

Here is the link to my previous post!

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?city...07&type=all

What in the world is that Marina city center on that list? It seems to indicate it is near downtown, on the East Bank?

What in the world is that Marina city center on that list? It seems to indicate it is near downtown, on the East Bank?

That was a proposal for the thermal plant site where the Sounds stadium is to be located. It is a long dead project that had almost no chance of getting out of the ground.

That was a proposal for the thermal plant site where the Sounds stadium is to be located. It is a long dead project that had almost no chance of getting out of the ground.

Thanks for the info. By the name of that failed project, am I to assume that we could theoretically have a marina in the DT portion of the Cumberland?

Oh yeah, too bad to missed the Marina debacle. That was fun. It was pretty silly looking. Basically, it was one of the proposals (this one out of Cookeville) when deciding the "highest and best use" of the thermal site. It didn't get very far. The anti-suicide balconies were a nice, entertaining touch.

There's been talk of a downtown marina for a while. Even ol' Bud Adams was thinking about a pretty large marina a while back, but I've heard nothing more of it. I guess the Cumberland Yacht Harbor will have to do for a while. It's a beautiful project. If I had a boat and $685,000, I'd almost think about that. I would imagine that when the redevelopment plans for the riverfront move forward (which they will with the recent selection of the designers), a marina will be in the mix. Seems appropriate. Maybe I should get a little John-Boat and trolling motor and become the Little Old Man of the River.

Okay, here's a Dave/Cumberland story whether you want to hear it or not. Hit it Sophia:

Nashville, 1978. Working in music publishing. Hee Haw taping, International Artists for Fan Fair group taping. I kidnapped several artists for a day on the water. Picture it, small runabout. 8 people, me, the guy who owned the boat (an old boss), the lady from the booking agency, Giampiero from Italy, Franco from Switzerland, Chris from England, Frederick, also from England, and a guy from Spain. Here we go, putting in at Shelby Park boat ramp headed downtown. The boat was about 4 inches above the water, but we made it. Actually we made it all the way to Cajun's Wharf, former Connection site/Thug bar ... climbed the rocks, ordered shrimp and cocktail sauce to go and LOTS more beer. Problem was, there were no refueling stations and a quarter mile from the ramp, we ran out of gas. Luckily we had 4 paddles and enlisted the United Nations to paddle us to safety. Upstream, of course.

Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days. The singing on the river was fun too.

Yes, we NEED a marina with gas pumps. :)

Oh yeah, too bad to missed the Marina debacle. That was fun. It was pretty silly looking. Basically, it was one of the proposals (this one out of Cookeville) when deciding the "highest and best use" of the thermal site. It didn't get very far. The anti-suicide balconies were a nice, entertaining touch.

There's been talk of a downtown marina for a while. Even ol' Bud Adams was thinking about a pretty large marina a while back, but I've heard nothing more of it. I guess the Cumberland Yacht Harbor will have to do for a while. It's a beautiful project. If I had a boat and $685,000, I'd almost think about that. I would imagine that when the redevelopment plans for the riverfront move forward (which they will with the recent selection of the designers), a marina will be in the mix. Seems appropriate. Maybe I should get a little John-Boat and trolling motor and become the Little Old Man of the River.

Okay, here's a Dave/Cumberland story whether you want to hear it or not. Hit it Sophia:

Nashville, 1978. Working in music publishing. Hee Haw taping, International Artists for Fan Fair group taping. I kidnapped several artists for a day on the water. Picture it, small runabout. 8 people, me, the guy who owned the boat (an old boss), the lady from the booking agency, Giampiero from Italy, Franco from Switzerland, Chris from England, Frederick, also from England, and a guy from Spain. Here we go, putting in at Shelby Park boat ramp headed downtown. The boat was about 4 inches above the water, but we made it. Actually we made it all the way to Cajun's Wharf, former Connection site/Thug bar ... climbed the rocks, ordered shrimp and cocktail sauce to go and LOTS more beer. Problem was, there were no refueling stations and a quarter mile from the ramp, we ran out of gas. Luckily we had 4 paddles and enlisted the United Nations to paddle us to safety. Upstream, of course.

Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days. The singing on the river was fun too.

Yes, we NEED a marina with gas pumps. :)

GREAT STORY!!! :D It always makes me happy to hear about foreigners enjoying themselves in Nashville. I myself have hosted an Italian and a Brazilian for a year and they loved it here. Marinas seem to be on my mind a bit more after seeing how much development they have seemed to spark in Boston and Baltimore. Granted, we don't have a deep-water, large harbor like both of those cities, but even DC has a really neat waterfront marina project that is fast on it's way to being considered the "hippest" area of the city. In fact, I believe Gaylord (cough cough) has a marina planned with it's new hotel in Prince George's County. I would really love to see some Inner Harbor-style redevelopment on the East Bank complete with restaurants, retail, ; the whole package. I am especially excited with the new announcement of design firms for the riverfront redevelopment and the entry of Struever (one of the primary developers of Baltimore's Inner Harbor) at the possibilities on the East Bank...

oh durn, this is a forum on the Gulch, there I go getting off topic again!!! :blush:

well, to remain off topic(maybe we need a seperate thread) I have a layman's question. I am under the impression that we cannot have a marina. The water level of the cumberland seems to rise and fall quite sporadically making it seem like a marina would be above or below the water line most of the time. Then again I have spent about 2 hours in a boat in the course of my life, so please, enlighten me on how this works.

^^^btw, pardon my ignorance on the subject

This is just an unbelievably informative thread. The Gulch is fastly (is "fastly" a word???) becoming a favorite of myself and Casey.

Lexy,

Fastly doesn't exist. However, fast is used for the adjective and the adverb. :o)

Just upstream (at places like Center Hill, Dale Hollow, and Lake Cumberland) are lakes that rise/fall as much as 50 ft between summer and winter pool stages. I can assure you (as an avid fisherman) that there is more rise/fall than 20 ft. in DT area, but the only engineering challenge would be current

Well, there goes the speculation on the Sliver building being a 60 storier... Mr. Williams reports that it will be 14-16 stories. But wait, when I thought I couldn't be confused any more, it seems the the SILVER building on skyscraperpage.com is not just a misspelled version of Sliver!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=51058

See 2nd and 3rd parts of the article for all of this info

William, is it now the assumption that the fantasy building on skyscraperpage was the source of the rumor doormanpoet brought to us about a supertall in the gulch?

If what doorman reported is correct, this sounds more like a coincidence and not the source. He mentioned that business owners have seen the rendering for the mystery building and that its release depended on the start of construction of the other known gulch towers, Icon, etc.

Of course, it could all be fantasy but I'm just trying to keep the rumors and the understanding of those rumors straight. :blink:

Archived