The Incredible Gulch

blokey

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it would be. Why would some random forumer on SSP who designed a building come to Nashville and show it to business owners, saying that it will be built. I can't imagine anyone would do that. I bet it's just a coincidence.

:blink: I'm not saying that someone from SSP came to Nashville to show business owners a fantasy rendering. I'm asking, based on William's article, if the assumption is that these are the same "projects". It seems that William is saying the idea of a supertall building in the gulch should be forgotten which is why I was asking him to clarify if he considers these two "buildings" to be one and the same.

The way rumors start, it is not hard to imagine a business owner telling doorman that she saw a rendering when in reality she heard someone else say they that they saw a rendering (maybe on SSP) and all of a sudden everyone thinks someone will build a supertall in the gulch.

Or...

This is, as I said, a coincidence and doorman's info has some truth to it and a supertall in the gulch is a possibility.

Or...

I'm just crazy for even giving a rat's rear end. :wacko:

Well, there goes the speculation on the Sliver building being a 60 storier... Mr. Williams reports that it will be 14-16 stories. But wait, when I thought I couldn't be confused any more, it seems the the SILVER building on skyscraperpage.com is not just a misspelled version of Sliver!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=51058

See 2nd and 3rd parts of the article for all of this info

The Sliver Building by Crosland has always been listed at 16 stories. The only new news that this article has is that the building could be 14 or 15 stories as well, and that they hope to break ground in November. Everthing's very positive. The Gulch has tremendous momentum right now, and everthing seems to be moving forward nicely.

As for the rumored 60 story building, it's always been nothing more than a rumor. I've heard nothing definite about it's location or who will build it. I've totally dismissed it for now, or until a real announcement comes forth.

The big thing in the Gulch I'm waiting for with great anticipation is the official announcement for the Velocity. This project is to be built by Bristol. They are also developing the wildly successful Icon project, so there is every reason to believe the Velocity will be awesome. I'm hoping to hear something in about a month. Let's all keep our fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that was not at the meet, there were a few things I gleaned form one of our side trips and will not reveal a source, but there is going to be another apartment building in the Gulch announced soon. Nothing large around 100 units, but this is great as we need more rentals there.

The other is plans for up a half million sq ft of office space close by. A mixed use facility not connected with the project per say.

More amazing things are going to happen

Just to let everyone know that was not at the meet, there were a few things I gleaned form one of our side trips and will not reveal a source, but there is going to be another apartment building in the Gulch announced soon. Nothing large around 100 units, but this is great as we need more rentals there.

The other is plans for up a half million sq ft of office space close by. A mixed use facility not connected with the project per say.

More amazing things are going to happen

WOW!!! :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing more when they decide to announce.

I've been working all day and saw the crane bases this morning. That will be a great sight. Icon is going to be a massive building for that side of town.

Wow! Two cranes at the Icon, and at least one at the Terrazzo across the street will rise before the end of this year. Add to that, another probable crane at the Sliver (also across the street) and possibly two more cranes at the Velocity added in 2007 and you've got the makings of a "crane city" in the Gulch!

• 1 year later...

Here is an article from the NBJ this week about new retail in the Gulch. The headline of the article is misleading as it states Gulch readies for 260 million in new retail. The 260 million is current and recently completed construction in the Gulch. Crosland has yet to announce the retailers in the Gulch but they would be "new to Nashville". They are looking for retailers such as salon's, bookstore's, coffee shops, etc. They have the retailers lined up but cannot name them. A grocery is also in the mix.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../28/focus1.html

Look for major announcements for the N. Gulch later this year as stated in another thread.

don't worry they also listed signature (1), wes (2) and cumberland yacht harbor (5) as 3 of the top 10 construction projects "under construction" in middle tennessee. then they go on about how incredible end of year 07 looks compared to 06 with almost a billion in fluff. glad to see the sobro and the ballpark weren't included. :wacko:

this kind of lazy reporting sure helps explain why people seem so confused about what is real and what is talk. i thought the tennessean did a good job covering some of the condo activity last sunday and i hope we see more of that kind of thorough reporting in the future.

That is ridiculous reporting to say that $260,000,000 will be spent on 70,000 Sq Ft of retail by the end of the year. That would work out to nearly $4,000 per sq ft. Yeah, right. Whoever wrote that either wasn't thinking or has a zero math IQ.

On the other hand, the article stated that the tenants for the Icon retail have been determined. I'm very anxious to hear who they are.

isn't opus the same developer rumored to be kicking around in the gulch these days ? if so, it looks like they have their hands full with a big project down in st pete. the full article is linked below but apparently they botched the hud requirements and now most of their buyers are expected to walk. though it's hard to imagine a $100 million project getting finished without any buyers, the quote at the end of the article is a classic so i posted it for those that don't hit the link:

But Jim Warner, a broker with VIP Realty on Sand Key, said he knew one speculator who was ready to walk away even before the mistake was discovered.

"That's the option," Warner said. "They should build a big door because that's where people are going to go - out."

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/24/Northpin...s_deals_o.shtml

Same company, but I wouldn't say they have their hands full as they have several thousand completed projects nationwide. These guys are huge. The property they are looking at is the Polar storage site that Tony Giarratana has. I know Crosland is looking at it as well, but Opus is a lot bigger than Crosland. I have been watching some of the real estate transactions and that one has not come up. I was expecting to hear about the sale before now.

There was an article in the Tennessean yesterday I missed and thanks to someone over at NC I can post ithere.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../801300373/1553

The article is pretty much a recap of what has been happening in the past and what will happen later this year. This is a very HOT part of town to say the least.

• 1 month later...

I guess only the developer could answer that question for sure, but a lot of it has to do with the availability of large tracts of land that are not available in the CBD. This is basically an entirely new neighborhood and it is creating a good amount of synergy. I guess this is best described as a very large infill project.

Remember too, that this is part of an overall development plan by the developer. They have assembled a lot of properties that they otherwise would not be able to do in the CBD. The cost of land right DT is very high. Tony G. paid 9 million for a parking lot on Church street. Lionstone Group paid 9 million for about 3 or 4 acres with buildings on them 2 blocks from here.

What is "downtown" anyway? These projects are going up on 12th ave., the Snodgrass Tower is on what, 7th? "Midtown" is on the other side of the interstate loop. This is brownfield development, where would a project the size of Icon, fit in "downtown"? Silly question.

Archived