The Incredible Gulch

blokey

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every part of the Gulch is within walking close distance of the proposed convention cneter. The only issue is accessibility because of the railroad tracks. Remember the Gulch is a stones throw away from Union Station and the Frist Center. TallahasseeDowntown needs to read a few more Nashville threads, because this is downtown and its definitely not Midtown. The Gulch just a few short years a go the Gulch was a ghost town, now it's a neighborhood. Anyone who knows Nashville understand the Gulch and what it means to the City.

Yes... the Gulch is walking distance to pretty much all of downtown. The river/east bank is a stretch, but i've done it :)

Assuming the convention center ends at 8th ave, it would be 5-10 min walk right now (~5-6 blocks). If Pine street is ever extended to the other side of the tracks, it would be even shorter

I know I read somewhere the 'official' borders of downtown, but I can't find it at the moment..

I did run across this PDF though... its pretty interesting... and page 3 has a great map of the downtown neighborhoods.

ftp://ftp.nashville.gov/web/mpc/Downtown_...al%20Policy.pdf

(about a 10MB file - lots of pictures!)

Nashville's DT is relatively small compared to many other cities. I have walked from 24th all the way to the riverfront and that is right at 2 1/2 miles. I guess it is a matter of perception. The Question of where does DT end and begin is a hard one to answer. That has been a point of contention with a lot of us. I consider everything inside of the interstate loop DT, so technically the Gulch is DT. Others consider the DT as the CBD only which is only about 20 or 25 sq. blocks. The more of these projects are built the more blurred the line gets too.

DT is definatly moving into Sobro without any question, and the Gulch is only 2 or 3 blocks from the new CC. Its just you have to walk a little further because of the RR tracks.

Nashville's DT is relatively small compared to many other cities. I have walked from 24th all the way to the riverfront and that is right at 2 1/2 miles. I guess it is a matter of perception. The Question of where does DT end and begin is a hard one to answer. That has been a point of contention with a lot of us. I consider everything inside of the interstate loop DT, so technically the Gulch is DT. Others consider the DT as the CBD only which is only about 20 or 25 sq. blocks. The more of these projects are built the more blurred the line gets too.

DT is definatly moving into Sobro without any question, and the Gulch is only 2 or 3 blocks from the new CC. Its just you have to walk a little further because of the RR tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Club/Restaurant is headed to the Gulch. Club Motivo will open a 25,000 sq ft facility on McGavock.

Here is the story from the City Paper.

http://e-paper.nashvillecitypaper.com/Repo...ish-skin-custom

I think there is more potential than any of us can imagine for this area. Synergy is what is happening in the Gulch. When you have a grouping of clubs, restaurants and other entertainment in one area, they tend to help the success of the other business's. An example would be the honky tonks on Lower Broad. They feed off of each other success. Nashville can have several entertainment districts in the city IMO.

I assume this will be a re-use of the existing buildings. If so, I think thats great! I always thought those buildings were just sitting there waiting for something to be done with them.. can't wait to see even more activity in that area of the Gulch!

• 1 month later...

Take this for what it's worth.. but at the Terrazzo sales center in the L&C Tower today, there was an agent there from Zeitlin InTown who mentioned that there is to be some type of organic grocery store in the vicinity of the Velocity sales center... not sure if she meant in the Velocity itself, in the sales center itself, or what...

She also mentioned the BB&T to be going into Terrazzo, which makes me think she is fairly up to date with announcements of this sort... since that was a pretty recent announcement

^ Were you taking your Gulch photos last night? I was at Ru Sans last night and saw someone taking photos of ICON while I was there.

The potential of the Gulch is endless. This is certainly going to be a gem of an area within the next few years with the right mix of residential, office and retail.

^ Were you taking your Gulch photos last night? I was at Ru Sans last night and saw someone taking photos of ICON while I was there.

The potential of the Gulch is endless. This is certainly going to be a gem of an area within the next few years with the right mix of residential, office and retail.

• 3 months later...

I noticed a while back the Airgas place had paper over the windows.. but tonight, I also noticed a sign around the corner advertising their move to Whites Creek Pike.

Yet another potential property for redevelopment in the Gulch! This one is just across the street from the Griffin Plaza site..

Here is what i'm referring to.. 311 12th Ave S

• 4 weeks later...

Archived