Kroger in GR

TenPoundHammer

First of all, I must say that Kroger is probably my favorite grocery store name.

Anywho, I was a bit surprised to find that Kroger had ever operated in the GR area. These are all the ones I know of:

There was one on Plainfield somewhere. I'm told that it's now Plainfield Plaza, but someone else said that there was one that later became a JC Penney and is now an MC Sports. Is it the same store or two different ones?

Also, while reading up on Breton Village Mall, I found that it started out in 1958 as a Kroger store, with a mall being added on later (1961). Was Kroger always at the end where D & W is now, or was it originally elsewhere in the mall?

Kentwood Village Mall also had a Kroger; that mall is now a JCPenney call center and a hospital.

In another thread, someone mentioned one in the CVS building on Lake @ Wealthy in Eastown. Is it still a CVS or is it closed?

Finally, there was also a Kroger in Rogers Plaza when it opened. I have an old 1960s photo of Rogers Plaza somewhere; I can't tell for certain, but it looks like MC Sports is in the general area where Kroger was.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a Kroger on Leonard St. right across from the old brick fire station. It is now the architectural firm of WL Perry.

Also many moons ago the building located at 1144 Wealthy was a Kroger. It is a couple of doors down from the Wealthy Theater. It's first occupany was Piggly Wiggly. It's a building that we just finished rehabbing. For those that know the area it was the old "Bodeans" clothing store.

Don't know about the Plainfield one. I've live on this end of town my whole life. I never once heard about a Kroger over here.

Also many moons ago the building located at 1144 Wealthy was a Kroger. It is a couple of doors down from the Wealthy Theater. It's first occupany was Piggly Wiggly. It's a building that we just finished rehabbing. For those that know the area it was the old "Bodeans" clothing store.

Wow, we had Piggly Wiggly in Michigan?!

First of all, I must say that Kroger is probably my favorite grocery store name.

Anywho, I was a bit surprised to find that Kroger had ever operated in the GR area. These are all the ones I know of:

There was one on Plainfield somewhere. I'm told that it's now Plainfield Plaza, but someone else said that there was one that later became a JC Penney and is now an MC Sports. Is it the same store or two different ones?

Also, while reading up on Breton Village Mall, I found that it started out in 1958 as a Kroger store, with a mall being added on later (1961). Was Kroger always at the end where D & W is now, or was it originally elsewhere in the mall?

Kentwood Village Mall also had a Kroger; that mall is now a JCPenney call center and a hospital.

In another thread, someone mentioned one in the CVS building on Lake @ Wealthy in Eastown. Is it still a CVS or is it closed?

Finally, there was also a Kroger in Rogers Plaza when it opened. I have an old 1960s photo of Rogers Plaza somewhere; I can't tell for certain, but it looks like MC Sports is in the general area where Kroger was.

There was one on 44th east of Kalamazoo, adjacent to a current Meijer C-stop. Distinctive architecture.

I think competition for the grocery store is just to stiff. I think Meijer really holds the corner on the market in these parts. Krogers name won't give them enough recogniiton, and I don't think it would be a profitable move. I'd wager they'd lose money.

Actually, the store on the northeast corner of 28th and Clyde Park was a Piggly Wiggly at some time in the 1990's

The NE corner of 28th and Clyde Park is Fruit Basket Flowerland which has been around since the late 50's. I think you mean the Supermarket on the SW corner of that intersection, which at one time was an Eberhards and before that I think it was a Kroger.

The NE corner of 28th and Clyde Park is Fruit Basket Flowerland which has been around since the late 50's. I think you mean the Supermarket on the SW corner of that intersection, which at one time was an Eberhards and before that I think it was a Kroger.

You are correct, and the southeast corner was Clyde Park School.

what is kroger (besides a grocery store, obviously--what makes it stand out?) are they rare or something? i guess i could google it, but i wouldnt get the same results i would get around here..

Having lived in Detroit for a small part of my life and shopping at Kroger all I can say is, nothing special. Now that I think about it I shopped at Kroger in Georgia as well. In Georiga we had a choice of Publix, Piggly Wiggly, or Kroger. Although I hear most of the Pigs went out. Publix was a nice clean store to shop in.

They are pretty similar to a Family Fare.

Kroger is the largest grocery chain in the US. They are definitely not a "flash-in-the-pan," but they were smart enough to see GR as unprofitable for them considering Meijer and Spartan Stores.

Yeah, they are based out of Cincinnati and are ranked 3rd behind Wal-Mart and Home Depot respectively on a list of the nation's top 100 retailers. In comparison, Meijer was ranked 25th, per the Business section of July 4th's GR Press.

When my family lived in Ohio we always shopped at Kroger. I would say its average store rates somewhere between Family Fare and D&W these days.

Spot on analysis Greedo.

I was thinking the same thing its a perfect time for Kroger to get back in the area now that the merger between family fare and D@w took place. The nearest one is Charlotte.

I think Kroger would be too afraid of Meijer to try coming back to GR. Meijer sucks up most of the market while Family Fare and others picks the scraps.

Yeah, they are based out of Cincinnati and are ranked 3rd behind Wal-Mart and Home Depot respectively on a list of the nation's top 100 retailers. In comparison, Meijer was ranked 25th, per the Business section of July 4th's GR Press.

When my family lived in Ohio we always shopped at Kroger. I would say its average store rates somewhere between Family Fare and D&W these days.

Spot on analysis Greedo.

Kroger also has something called "Kroger Fresh Market" (or something like that). It's an upscale version. There's one in Birmingham at Woodward and Maple (or very closeby, right on Woodward) over in the D. Very nice store that puts D&W to shame (in my opinion).

If they were to move into GR, there's an opportunity to beat out D&W for the higher-end grocery market. I have no idea how profitable a niche that is, but D&W isn't all that great...it's just better than whatever else we have to choose from.

Kroger also has something called "Kroger Fresh Market" (or something like that). It's an upscale version. There's one in Birmingham at Woodward and Maple (or very closeby, right on Woodward) over in the D. Very nice store that puts D&W to shame (in my opinion).

If they were to move into GR, there's an opportunity to beat out D&W for the higher-end grocery market. I have no idea how profitable a niche that is, but D&W isn't all that great...it's just better than whatever else we have to choose from.

Agreed. Was at the Kroger in West Bloomfield a while ago. Pretty nice. Can't remember if it rivaled the best D&W (only there to pick up a few things), but if they can make it there, they can make it here. Family Fare may be gaining too much strength, though, dunno.

On another note, how about the Baker furniture space on Monroe near Ann for a Whole Foods Market?

Agreed. Was at the Kroger in West Bloomfield a while ago. Pretty nice. Can't remember if it rivaled the best D&W (only there to pick up a few things), but if they can make it there, they can make it here. Family Fare may be gaining too much strength, though, dunno.

On another note, how about the Baker furniture space on Monroe near Ann for a Whole Foods Market?

On second thought, I suppose it might not meet their "high traffic area" criteria. :(

Archived