Rutherford County Projects

Justiceham

I've chosen to compile a mega list of new building projects for Rutherford county. If anyone has more to add, add them (road projects were not included in this list).

Murfreesboro:

Middle Tennessee Medical Center: A 286 bed hospital/ $278 million/ completion date?

The Avenues: 1,000, 000+ sq ft. open air retail center/ $100 million/ fall 2007

Rutherford County Workhouse: 127, 000 sq. ft. juvenile and adult detention center/ $40 million/completeion date?

Embassy Suites: 10 story 280 bed hotel and 81, 000 sq. ft. conference center/ $40 million/ fall 2007

Rutherford County Judicial Center: ?/?/?

Linebaugh Library Expansion and Additional Branches: Proposed expansion of existing library and addition of eight branches throughout the county/ $60 million/ 2020

Stones River Mall Renovation - 600,000 sq. ft. retail open air mall/ summer 2007

The Paradise Shoppes of Murfreesboro- ?/?/?

Murfreesboro Medical Clinic - 200,000 sq ft. office/?/?

Hampton Inn and Suites - 101 room four story hotel/10.2 million/fall 2007

Comfort Inn and Suites - four story hotel/fall 2006

Holiday Inn Remodel - Holidome renovation, upgraded facilities, upgraded rooms/ almost complete

Manson Pike Crossings - 700 housing units, luxury townhomes, apartments, condos, villas & a two section 600,000 sq. ft. lifestyle center/ $150 million/ 2010

Joe B. Jackson Parkway - Millions of sq. ft. in industrial, commercial, and office space/?/?

Manchester Highway - Unknown retail development with two large anchors and outparcels

Publix Shopping Center - grocery store and retail development/ summer 2007

Harris Tweeter - grocery store and retail development/ winter 2007

Kroger - grocery store and retail development/ winter 2007

Mark Pirtle Developments - Two 90,000 sq. ft. twin office towers, one eight story unknown tower/?/?

The Oaks Shopping Center - 275,000+ sq. ft. shopping center/?/summer 2007

MTSU- New Baseball Stadium, Sports Complex, Intramural Fields, Recreation Center Expansion, $100 million science facilities/spring 2011, demolition of older dorms, renovation of aging dorms, Cason-Kennedy Nursing facilities expansion/ fall 2006, new Student Union facilities

Blackman High School Expansion- New G hall, Science Lecture Auditorium, additional classrooms/ fall 2007

Rockvale High School, Middle School, and Elementary School - fall 2007/ fall 2008

Homer Pittard Campus Renovation - 11 million/ fall 2007

John Pittard Elementary School - fall 2007

Third Walmart Supercenter - New supercenter to be located off Memorial Boulevard with adjacent upscale retail, bookstore, banks, and restaurants

Three Rivers Town Center - upscale mixed use development, office space, retail space with two large anchors, ampitheatre, square, pedestrian trails, upscale housing, artificial lake with marina/?/2009

Marymont Housing Development - Renovation and preservation of Marymont House off hwy 96 and upscale housing development to follow/?/2009

Smyrna:

Motlow State Community College- 4,000 student campus, four phases/ $10 million/?

Hilton Garden Inn - 5 story hotel/?/ winter 2007

The Lenox Village - Patterned after The Lenox Village of Antioch, 340 detached single family homes/ 20,000 sq. ft. retail & office space/?

Smyrna Commons - $50 million mixed used retail commercial development/?

Sam Ridley Parkway - Too many to list/ Stone Crest Medical Center Expansion/?

Stewart's Creek Elementary - fall 2006

Almaville High School - ?/?/ fall 2007

Downtown Smyrna Revitalization - (Yes Smyrna has a downtown), train station to become museum, roundabout, new sidewalks, street lighting, restaurants, bars, and ampitheatre/ $40 million

Lavergne:

Gateway Computers - ?/?

Cityhall Expansion - ?/?

Lavergne Lake Elementary - ?/?/ fall 2007

Unknown retail and commercial development along Waldron Road after its widened to five lanes - ?/?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall hearing about Manson Pike Crossings. Where is this proposed to be located? Thanks for the great list!

Manson Pike Crossings was reviewed by the Murfreesboro Planning Commission and passed by the City Council last year. It is supposed to begin sometime in 07'. The plan calls for two big bridges along Fortress and Brinkley Roads to alleviate traffic. It is supposed to be highly pedestrian and heavily landscaped. I watch the city council meetings wednesdays on city channel 3 (comcast), and they usually show all the plans to the public. If you cannot catch the show, the city even goes as far as to give the tapes to Linebaugh library so you can check them out.

La Vergne's new budget includes the widening of Waldron road to 4 lanes with a middle turn lane. The city would like to see retail developement on the widened Waldron from Interchange City to Murfreesboro road, but obviously that will require private developement.

The dumbest thing La Vergne ever did was sell to Smyrna the property adjacent to Sam Ridley Parkway; of course back when SRP was just a 2 lane highway running through the countryside, who would have known!

I know in Smyrna there's a new Target shopping center and Middle Tennessee's first Malco Theatre...14 screens I believe. Just started the new Home Depot.

I've also seen a Raz'z restaurant and rumors are flying around about a TJMaxx or Marshalls to follow the Target store.

Originally, I heard the clothing retailer would be Old Navy, but rumors on this project have been quiet for about the past 6 months. I drive by the target location every day and have seen no work begun. Ground breaking was supposedly going to be this month. Anyone know anything more?

Colonial out of Bham is doing the project. They practically gave the land to Target to entice them into the development. Lastest site plan I have has an Office player, Petsmart, TJ, Ross, and Kohl's on it. Not sure where they are in this process, but those retailers make sense at the site. Oh yea, movie theater is on the site plan as well. Development is call the Promenade.

Manson Pike Crossing will never happen. Until Gatlin sells off the last of his land. Major retail will settle in around the gateway blvd.

Publix has actually committed to two stores in Murfreesboro on the west side. One is at hwy 96 and rucker lane. The other is on salem hwy and st andrews (08 store).

Kroger is also doing a development next to the Harris tweeter on the northest side near the Food Lion.

I checked with an inside source for an update on the Target and the developement around that area. 6 months ago, the proposed ground breaking was for this summer.

All I can find out now is that the property being developed has an estimated completion date of spring 2008 (no idea of the start date), and they will no longer confirm that Target is going to be involved.

This could be that Target dosn't want the news out yet, or maybe Target isn't going to come to Smyrna after all. I bet that a store in Smyrna would signifcantly hurt sales at the Target in Antioch, a store Target just recently renovated. I guess will have to wait a long while to find out....

Uh... 3 grocery stores next to each other? :huh:

these are really close to my house. i go to the food lion a lot (usually late at night to pick up party materials haha) i think they'll do pretty well. with all of the development in that area, they'll be needed.

Recently someone posted about murfreesboro starting a bus service. I havn't heard anything about this. Anyone have any details?

Murfreesboro has hired a mass transit director from Chattanooga to help jumpstart this thing. The plans call for a bus terminal to be located somewhere downtown. Since Murfreesboro is so spread out due to recent annexations, creating the right bus stops will be a difficult task. The first buses should roll out this fall if things go as planned. It is kind of silly that we don't have one already. Jackson, Johnson City and even Franklin have been had mass transit for their cities.

Murfreesboro has hired a mass transit director from Chattanooga to help jumpstart this thing. The plans call for a bus terminal to be located somewhere downtown. Since Murfreesboro is so spread out due to recent annexations, creating the right bus stops will be a difficult task. The first buses should roll out this fall if things go as planned. It is kind of silly that we don't have one already. Jackson, Johnson City and even Franklin have been had mass transit for their cities.

It's great that they are getting a bus service. I agree it should have already been here. But lets consider the city we are talking about here. The last thing on their minds has been any form of MASS transit. Now it's getting to the point to where they really haven't got a choice anymore. Glad to see them act on it, if only about 5 years late. Hey, better late than never I suppose. LOL!!!! Hopefully they wont let a developer come in and convince them that buses are bad for the property taxes. If that happens, forget the transit. LOL!!!!

Here are a few more developments. Home Depot and Camino Real plan to open new stores in the Barfield area. The Reserve, an upscale housing development, is already selling homes from the 300s to the 800s. It's location is off Compton road. Riverbend is Murfreesboro's premier luxury condominiums/townhomes starting from the high 300's. Construction has begun for the site off Thompson Lane.

I think the rail service is the most important link. The Trinity Railway Express runs between downtown Fort Worth and Dallas (30 or so miles) and many of the stop have little or not parking these days. As a matter of fact, demand is so high, some park in the grass.

In Fort Worth, the station includes a transfer station for the amtrack...the train to dallas....local buses....and Greyhound. I think combining all of these will be important for future rail in Murfreesboro. I remember the rail line between Murfreesboro and Nashville being owned by CSX...odds are they will have to build an additional line to run rail because CSX and other big rail companies do not like to share tracks.

I think the rail service is the most important link. The Trinity Railway Express runs between downtown Fort Worth and Dallas (30 or so miles) and many of the stop have little or not parking these days. As a matter of fact, demand is so high, some park in the grass.

In Fort Worth, the station includes a transfer station for the amtrack...the train to dallas....local buses....and Greyhound. I think combining all of these will be important for future rail in Murfreesboro. I remember the rail line between Murfreesboro and Nashville being owned by CSX...odds are they will have to build an additional line to run rail because CSX and other big rail companies do not like to share tracks.

Very true, and great comparison. I believe that the rail is the most important, but the buses will come first here. As a matter of fact, Murfreesboro used to have a Greyhound bus terminal in the 90's.

In Smyrna off of Rock Springs Rd the Woodmont subdivision has section one complete and houses going up and section two will be completed this fall. This development will have over 550 single family homes and possibly as many as 200 townhomes.

Archived