Rutherford County Projects

Justiceham

I asked the question in another thread and got an answer on the theaters. I still don't have a good idea of what's planned/u-c around the I-24 & Sam Ridley intersection. Is the new hospital already being expanded? Which exit is it that is getting that row of motels and restaurants on the west side of I-24 (Waldron Rd??)? Also, are any new exits planned for the I-24 corridor through Rutherford. When I last drove up through there, I noticed how much "closer" M'boro and Nashville have become.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hickory Hollow mall is still quite busy. The problem is not the quantity of customers, it's the quality of customers. I certainly wouldn't set foot there, especially after dark.

It's a shame, really. I went to high school right down the street from the mall there, and we would hang out there all the time. I also had two summer jobs there. And that was only about 10 years ago. It went down fast, though.

I asked the question in another thread and got an answer on the theaters. I still don't have a good idea of what's planned/u-c around the I-24 & Sam Ridley intersection. Is the new hospital already being expanded? Which exit is it that is getting that row of motels and restaurants on the west side of I-24 (Waldron Rd??)? Also, are any new exits planned for the I-24 corridor through Rutherford. When I last drove up through there, I noticed how much "closer" M'boro and Nashville have become.

There is a new exit in the works for Smyrna that will be placed between the current two. It will be the Rocky Fork Rd exit, probably mile marker 68. There is already a small two lane bridge crossing the interstate now. The Smyrna council actually voted on spending about $100,000 for a Tier 2 justification study recently. The way I have heard it, it will be somewhere between 2-5 years before the interchange is constructed. They also will be widening Rocky Fork Rd with this project and I believe will connect it with Enon Springs Road.

There is a new exit in the works for Smyrna that will be placed between the current two. It will be the Rocky Fork Rd exit, probably mile marker 68. There is already a small two lane bridge crossing the interstate now. The Smyrna council actually voted on spending about $100,000 for a Tier 2 justification study recently. The way I have heard it, it will be somewhere between 2-5 years before the interchange is constructed. They also will be widening Rocky Fork Rd with this project and I believe will connect it with Enon Springs Road.

I wondered why there were no other 'Super Targets' and yet people keep referring to the one coming here as a Super Targer. I mean, I think it's Super that were getting a Target store, but regular is fine with me.

I guess everyone thinks it's like Wal-Mart where you don't have regular Wal-Mart's anymore, just Super Wal-Marts. That seems kinda dumb now; I wonder when the last regular Wal-Mart was built?

There aren't any plans for Super Targets here. That is what I am trying to say. Publix, Wal-Mart, and Kroger (among others) have pretty much capped the market for that type of mass-grocer. They have one in Huntsville, but that is the limit as far as logistics are concerned. Plus, the average incomes for that part of the metro aren't quite up where a Super Target would want to locate at. A place more along the lines of Hendersonville or Cool Springs would get one before anywhere else in the metro would.

There aren't any plans for Super Targets here. That is what I am trying to say. Publix, Wal-Mart, and Kroger (among others) have pretty much capped the market for that type of mass-grocer. They have one in Huntsville, but that is the limit as far as logistics are concerned. Plus, the average incomes for that part of the metro aren't quite up where a Super Target would want to locate at. A place more along the lines of Hendersonville or Cool Springs would get one before anywhere else in the metro would.

Franklin set size restrictions after there last Target, so it won't likely be there. I think population rather than income would be the more important matter in this case anyway, and Rutherford certainly has that.

Do a search on The Tennessean's website....There is a Super Target in the works in Spring Hill as well. Presented by the town just the way Smyrna did.

So, unless you know something concrete and verifiable that The Tennessean, Daily News Journal, Smyrna, and Spring Hill don't......I think you may need some honey mustard to go with that with that crow.

Population is one thing, believe me, but income is a major factor as well. These types of stores like to locate in places where there is at least a median average of $45,000 a year for a majority of the households. Lavergne and Smyrna aren't quite at that range jsut yet I believe. Don't get me wrong, there may be one in the books, but I haven't seen anything in the Tennessean about a SUPER Target nor I have seen it on the TV, just plain jane Target's is all I have seen. But I still think that logistics will play a part in this. Who knows.

But you don't have to be an arse about it. I certainly wasn't that way towards you.

The median family income in La Vergne is $55k (census data), so it seems like this area would in fact fit into the 'Super Targer' target market.

I do agree that in this area, we now have 2 krogers, publix, wal-mart, bi-lo(new name), and Food Lion. It doesn't seem like the ideal time to get in the grocery business....

... but then again, if Lowes and Home Depot can be successful across the street from each other, I guess anything can happen!

Thanks for the median averages for LaVergne RTB. I wasn't sure of it to be honest with you. But nevertheless, it would seem like a bad location for one just due to the fact that you have all these entrenched grocery stores, and a newely refurbished Target just up the road in Antioch. Oh well, not my money so I guess it doens't matter. LOL!!!!

Build it and we'll see what happens.

The point about grocery competition is a good one. We saw SuperTargets here when I thought the market was way too saturated with grocery outlets. Of course, we lost our Winn Dixies since then. Plus, I think Target's strategy is to take as much share from WalMart... the rest would be a bonus in a high growth area such as Lavergne. Costco will give those grocers a run for their money too. I have a friend who develops supermarkets for Publix, and he said that they need just two to justify starting in a market to build. So if SuperTarget goes to SH and Lavergne, that might be their entrance strategy. We lived in Richardson TX when their ST opened there. I thought that was the craziest idea and nobody would get food there. I'll be darned if my own wife didn't become a loyal ST (Archer Farms) shopper.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a MTSU recreation center rep and he told me construction will start this winter on the expansion of the rec center. It will include doubling the size of the cardio, adding additional weight room space, new faculty offices, a drive through pharmacy, and a massage therapy clinic, as well as a snack bar. I will work on the plans for it soon as well as other projects. The students also get to vote on a proposed student union center which will include office space, group space, cafeteria, full service (chain restaurant), laundromat, and parking garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived