Rutherford County Projects

Justiceham

A unknown big box retailer will sit on the corner or Countyfarm Rd. and South Church St. The site will be 204,000 sq ft. and contain a gas station and drive through pharmacy. I have ruled out Walmart because that's far too small for a Walmart and Target because they don't have gas stations. I am guessing it is either a Sam's Club or Costco. I am really hoping it is Costco!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm....My guess? It will be Murfreesboro's third Wal-Mart Supercenter -

type "204,000 supercenter" into Google and you get over 1,000 websites mentioning this.

The same search using the term Target, Costco, or Sams Club do not bring up any results with

this same square footage.

I'd bet the city is trying to keep the name "Wal-Mart" under wraps because of the

polarizing effect it brings within most communities.

BTW, this will be almost at the end of my street if it is built - less than a mile away.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'd rather have a Target.

Also, what else could posess the city to close South Church Street down to one lane

on a FRIDAY (all day)? Traffic was backed up from Barfield-Crescent Rd. to who-knows-how-far

on I-24. Either this was extremely inept planning, or the city is pushing through the

3rd lane construction as fast as possible to sweeten the lure for Wal-Mart.

It took me an hour to get home last night - I was NOT happy.

Of course, this is all pure conjecture on my part.

^ Oh well, why am I not surprised? I knew once the Hanes family and North Murfreesboro said no to building one on Memorial Boulevard that they would seek out a new location. This one will be awfully close to the one on Rutherford Boulevard. However, I do shop at Wal Mart and they do have a better selection of organic produce than most grocery stores so I can't complain. I can't wait to see how the city will take to the gridlock this will cause on Church Street.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt the city will allow another Wal-mart, I sure wouldn't, maybe in another 5 years or so, but not now. Supposedly, Home Depot is looking at the huge tract of land between the Northside Post Office and Adam's Place on Memorial, bring them on, I love Home Depot. Let's see, they could make it a urban village type development.

They are turning dirt for the new Publix as I type.

Wonder what will go in the out-parcels?

I live on the North side of town, so this will save me a lot of time.

I have quit shopping at Kroger, and now do my business at Publix -- they seem to support the university more.

All I ever see in Kroger is the color "orange".

Publix near the old Chesney's has MT flags throughout the store, and has an MT football jersey as you enter.

Kudos to them. They are also a corporate sponsor of Middle Tennessee Athletics, apparently.

I have quit shopping at Kroger, and now do my business at Publix -- they seem to support the university more.

All I ever see in Kroger is the color "orange".

Publix near the old Chesney's has MT flags throughout the store, and has an MT football jersey as you enter.

Kudos to them. They are also a corporate sponsor of Middle Tennessee Athletics, apparently.

Looks like the rezoning for the big box was approved according to the Murfreesboro Post today:

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=7483 (scroll to the bottom for the info)

Here is what the developer, M & W Murfreesboro Joint Venture, had to say about the new development,

tentatively named "Cannonsburg Place":

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../710310350/1002

This article hints at a Wal-Mart (which was my guess, too, with the square footage given

in a previous article along with the gas station and drive-through pharmacy aspect mentioned),

but the developer had this to say:

"He said the Cannonsburg Place development would be a high-end big box development, with 25 percent greenspace, an active fountain, walking area and benches at the entrance by the intersection of County Farm Road and Highway 231."

I'm not sure I've ever seen a "High-End" Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Pretty interesting, though!

Looks like the rezoning for the big box was approved according to the Murfreesboro Post today:

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=7483 (scroll to the bottom for the info)

Here is what the developer, M & W Murfreesboro Joint Venture, had to say about the new development,

tentatively named "Cannonsburg Place":

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../710310350/1002

This article hints at a Wal-Mart (which was my guess, too, with the square footage given

in a previous article along with the gas station and drive-through pharmacy aspect mentioned),

but the developer had this to say:

"He said the Cannonsburg Place development would be a high-end big box development, with 25 percent greenspace, an active fountain, walking area and benches at the entrance by the intersection of County Farm Road and Highway 231."

I'm not sure I've ever seen a "High-End" Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Pretty interesting, though!

I know, the pharmacy thing keeps throwing me of, too. I don't think Home Depot has a pharmacy, Costco is too small to fill this space, same goes for Sam's. Super Target was a possibility but I ruled that one out because I don't see why they would keep quiet about that kind of store. A high end Super Wal-mart sounds funny. Even with the heavy landscaping, pocket park, gazebo, and multiple access points, it is still a Wal-mart. The concept power point showed no outparcels or adjoining strip malls which is kind of weird too.

Sure looks like a Walmart to me...especially with the 2 entrance towers (one for grocery part). As far as it looking good....maybe on paper. Murfreesboro zoning/planning doesnt seem too interested in making developers stick to their "pretty" designs. Cost cutting will start and the fountain on the corner will be the first to go....extensive landscaping second. The city in an effort to appease the developers (mus'nt make them angry!) will look the other way or change the regulations to fit the violation. (Think Bumpus Harley Davidson sign...Goo Goo carwash flag pole...etc) Business as usual.

Sure looks like a Walmart to me...especially with the 2 entrance towers (one for grocery part). As far as it looking good....maybe on paper. Murfreesboro zoning/planning doesnt seem too interested in making developers stick to their "pretty" designs. Cost cutting will start and the fountain on the corner will be the first to go....extensive landscaping second. The city in an effort to appease the developers (mus'nt make them angry!) will look the other way or change the regulations to fit the violation. (Think Bumpus Harley Davidson sign...Goo Goo carwash flag pole...etc) Business as usual.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lavergne has plans for a new $20 million shopping center. This project faces the back of Colonial Promenade in Smyrna. You can probably expect to see T.J. Maxx among major anchors. No word yet on tenants or square footage. An unknown restaurant, bank, dry cleaners, and large hotel are in the works at the corner of exit 80 and I-24 near Dominoes Pizza. Still no word on tenants for the 2 million square ft. proposed mixed use project on Manchester Highway.

Smyrna is now constructing a Holiday Inn next to the Hilton Hotel.On Almaville Road, Anytime Fitness and a pizza shop are close to opening. Sonic, Publix, a storage facility and a new condominium project has been proposed for Lascasas Highway. Another condominium development and gas station are under review by the city council for South Church Street across from Kroger.

Archived