South Carolina Politics

GMoxley

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sanford for President?

The Washington Times thinks it is a good idea.....

A Sanford Candidacy (for President)

It's an odd commentary, written by one of Sanford's former staff members. Flattering, I'm sure, to the Governor, but there are some behind the scenes things going on there and let's just leave it at that.

Sanford has just been reelected. The writer is proposing he spend the first two years of his last term, with some heavy items on the agenda, slogging through New Hampshire and Iowa, raising money all over the land, hitting up the interview circuit.

Realistically, if anyone wants to be a party's nominee for President, he had to have started making waves about it on his own six months ago, he hasn't done that, and the major fundraisers are all about tied up between Romney, McCain and Guiliani.

It's a nice sentiment, though a really odd one coming from a former Sanford staffer who should know his boss's priorities and the landscape of a Presidential campaign.

This is definitely not the first time this has been brought up. There is a website dedicated to that.

Sanford would be a great candidate for the Republican Party, because he is one of the few true republicans out there. He holds true to the things republicans should, and he actually cares about the people. He would be the ideal candidate to clean up our budgetary problems.

However- I personally wouldn't want to see him run until 2012. He would have 2 additional yeard of experience, and 2 years time off to work on fundraising efforts that wouldn't distract him from his current work. I also have selfish reasons... I want to see him continue to push the notion of progress in this state, and more importantly, I don't want Andre Bauer to get promoted.

That article really showed how much of a fiscal conservative Sanford is. I don't agree with everything he vetoes as far as the annual budget is concerned, but he is to be commended for tightening the pursestrings. Hopefully the surpluses will be spent wisely.

Here's a pre-filed bill in the House that I ran across:

H. 3153 -- Rep. McLeod: A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 57-3-45 SO AS TO ESTABLISH THE MASS TRANSIT ADVISORY COUNCIL AND PROVIDE FOR ITS MEMBERSHIP AND FUNCTIONS AND TO AMEND SECTION 12-28-2725, RELATING TO THE PORTION OF THE MOTOR FUELS USER FEE USED FOR MASS TRANSIT, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT REVENUE EQUAL TO TWO CENTS A GALLON OF THE TOTAL USER FEE ON GASOLINE MUST BE USED FOR MASS TRANSIT.

I also thought this Senate pre-filed bill was interesting:

S. 173 -- Senator Leventis: A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING CHAPTER 46 TO TITLE 44 ENACTING THE "BIOTECHNOLOGY ACT OF 2008" SO AS TO AUTHORIZE STEM CELL RESEARCH IN THIS STATE, AND AMONG OTHER THINGS, TO REQUIRE APPROVAL FROM AN INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD TO CONDUCT SUCH RESEARCH, TO PROHIBIT PURCHASING OR SELLING PREIMPLANTATION EMBRYOS FOR HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH, AND TO PROHIBIT HUMAN CLONING AND TO PROVIDE PENALTIES, TO PROVIDE FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL TO LICENSE INSTITUTIONS CONDUCTING STEM CELL RESEARCH, TO FURTHER PROVIDE FOR THE REVIEW AND REGULATION OF SUCH RESEARCH, TO PROVIDE THAT AN EMPLOYEE OF AN INSTITUTION MAY NOT BE REQUIRED TO CONDUCT SUCH RESEARCH OR RELATED ACTIVITIES IF IT IS IN CONFLICT WITH THE EMPLOYEE'S RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, TO REQUIRE INFORMED CONSENT FOR DISPOSITION OF PREIMPLANTATION EMBRYOS FOR PATIENTS BEING TREATED FOR INFERTILITY, AND TO REQUIRE INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED ON UMBILICAL AND PLACENTA DONATIONS.

This one is no surprise:

Senator McConnell: A BILL TO AMEND CHAPTER 11, TITLE 60, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE ARCHIVES ACT, SO AS TO ADD ARTICLE 3 CREATING THE SOUTH CAROLINA CIVIL WAR SESQUICENTENNIAL ADVISORY BOARD.

• 2 weeks later...

Knotts is talking about all the voting we do for various offices that should be cabinet-level positions. He's an idiot if you ask me.

By contrast, I also like what Bobby Harrell has been saying lately. I think he shares the governor's vision for where this state needs to go and what we need to do to get there.

I think that voting for positions for which most people don't know anything about is a waste of time and energy. Can the everage joe tell me what the Comptoller General does? What about the Adjutant General? Does it matter who is the Secretary of the Agriculture Dept? You aren't taking away anyone right to vote if they don't know what they are voting for anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason DOT is even on their radar is becuase of the recent fiasco with the former director. This is BS if you ask me. Its a token jesture at best. But if Sanford can get these morons we've elected to do just one thing, like reorganizing the top of DOT, it will be a step in the right direction. We have to get the old guard out, and I am starting to fear that the only way to do that is through attrition.

I'm not convinced that we cant get these guys to change. But we have 300+ years of tradition to fight, so its going ot be an uphill battle. I think that when people realize that for the past 200 years, the system hasn't really been working for us, they will start to wise up and vote better. But its not just voting... its getting the right people to run and getting support in the state house for what is best for the state, and not for their own side of things.

But its not just voting... its getting the right people to run and getting support in the state house for what is best for the state, and not for their own side of things.

1) Getting the right people to run: Decent people won't put up with the BS and muck-raking that comes with politics nowadays. You ever buy a Playboy? I can hear it now, "Spartan is a smut monger!" I wouldn't put up with that BS and 99.9% of the people in the world wouldn't either.

2) Best for the state: The .1% left are generally out for themselves.

I've really become cynical in my middle age.<sigh>

I actually think we are starting to see some examples of those who truly care and aren't part of the "good ol' boys" club starting to make a little noise. A young guy, Morehouse graduate and USC Law student, ran against a long-serving state representative (Bamberg County) last year and won; I think something similar happened with one of Richland County's representatives, if I'm not mistaken. A guy I'm personally acquainted with ran for the House from Spartanburg County, although he lost. And more locally, I think Kirkman Finlay III fits the bill. So if we can just see more examples like this, we'll have some hope. The younger generation and those not infected with the old guard mentality will get tired of seeing our state get further and further behind and will become more motivated to make changes. And I have a feeling they'll be making some noise about it.

Archived