Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skirby

Views of Little Rock/North Little Rock

112 posts in this topic

Main Street 1956, from a postcard. At that time most of the stores stayed open until 9:00 pm.

Looking south from 4th. The Cemter Theater is on the left.

ilrmainstreet1956night4fk.jpg

^Hopefully soon, our downtowns will start to resemble that again (now that the suburban mall schtick is becoming wary).

The intersection of the Lyon Building and the Metropolitan National Bank Building.

dscf2928ph1.jpg

Looking west on 4th past the old YWCA, across Main St. towards the old Blass Department Store building with the Tower Building in the background.

dscf2936hk3.jpg

Main Street 1956, from a postcard. At that time most of the stores stayed open until 9:00 pm.

Seeing that big Haverty's sign reminds me of the jingle "Haverty's Makes it Home." That may be their old jingle, but I remember it!!

Very cool postcard photo!

The thing in this photo that stands out for me is the large Capital Pride sign atop the Walgreens Drug Store building at 5th and Main.

The thing in this photo that stands out for me is the large Capital Pride sign atop the Walgreens Drug Store building at 5th and Main.

Do you know anything about this sign?

Do you know anything about this sign?

Capital Pride was a meat company which sold packaged meat, bacon, lunch meat etc. Driving down Main Street headed south you could see that sign from several blocks away. It seems like the Finkbeiner family owned Capital Pride but that may be wrong.

Capital Pride was a meat company which sold packaged meat, bacon, lunch meat etc. Driving down Main Street headed south you could see that sign from several blocks away. It seems like the Finkbeiner family owned Capital Pride but that may be wrong.

Its hard to forget Finkbeiner Meat Company, the inventor of the "cheese dog." Little Rock needs some hot dog stands selling the original cheese dogs as well as chedder cheese dogs, jack cheese dogs, as well as other cheese dogs. It could be called Fink's. How about a cheese corn dog?

The Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce building at East Markham and Scott.

dscf3094es5.jpg

Capitol Ave. in front of the Bank of America building. All the trees are gone on the northside and work is being done on both side of the street.

dscf3128zg1.jpg

Is this expansion of the RiverRail?

No, they are just doing some updating of the sidewalks. I understand they will replace the trees when they are done with a different type.

That's a shame, those trees look old and beautiful.

Apparently the roots are tearing up the sidewalks and street. They're the wrong type of tree for that setting. I guess that's why the city pays for an "urban forester".