Views of Little Rock/North Little Rock

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's some old photos from a trip to Little Rock. I like how the downtown area combines old and new so well. I know there's been controversy about preservation but overall there is a nice mix that allows new economic development and keeps a sense of place.

The Stephens Building - a landmark structure- very striking from any angle.

DSCN1551.jpg

The Pulaski County Courthouse contrasted with Bank of America building - I like the birdhouse in the park next to the courthouse although the park could use some sprucing up.

DSCN1556.jpg

A sculpture in the plaza next to the Federal Bankruptcy Court. This was a great job of combining old and new. The plaque nest to the sculpture didn't give much information about it- anyone know the story behind it?

DSCN1566.jpg

A sculpture in the plaza next to the Federal Bankruptcy Court. This was a great job of combining old and new. The plaque nest to the sculpture didn't give much information about it- anyone know the story behind it?

DSCN1566.jpg

From the General Services Administration's website: "As part of the 1994 to 1997 renovations, GSA commissioned Jim Sanborn to create a work of art for the plaza sidewalk adjacent to the building. Entitled Ex Nexum, the sculpture consists of a text-inscribed serpentine bronze screen flanked by two tall blocks of granite. The work comments upon the changing history of the law which now allows individuals and corporations to survive financial collapse."

From the General Services Administration's website: "As part of the 1994 to 1997 renovations, GSA commissioned Jim Sanborn to create a work of art for the plaza sidewalk adjacent to the building. Entitled Ex Nexum, the sculpture consists of a text-inscribed serpentine bronze screen flanked by two tall blocks of granite. The work comments upon the changing history of the law which now allows individuals and corporations to survive financial collapse."

what a fascinating idea for a sculpture

:whistling:

Thanks for the info- very interesting. Seems like a very appropriate work for that location.

Here's another with the old Courthouse showing some of the detail. It's a beautiful old building and they have done a good job of keeping it in shape.

DSCN1561.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a part of the Historic Arkansas Museum with a modern office building in the background- I like the contrast of old and new. This is the former Arkansas Territorial Restoration, which I thought was a much better and more unique name.

DSCN1541.jpg

This is the Old Statehouse Museum, which is the oldest surviving state capitol west of the Mississippi River. It served as the state capitol from 1842 til 1911. I tried to recreate a photo I took as a Boy Scout hiking through downtown Little Rock 35 years ago- that limb was not in the way back then. LOL

DSCN1548.jpg

This struck me as almost an optical illusion- these are the Metropolitan Bank building at 40 stories and the Regions Bank building at 30 stories. The angle was just right so that it is hard to tell that they are a block away from each and not adjacent.

DSCN1567.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived